Nvidia G80 & ATI R600 will we get them before X-mas?

lasseht

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
been holding out getting a new PC, while my P4 + 6800ultra just about can cope with my games....

A few Q's

Will G80 be DX10 compliant but work with DX9 as well?

Will R600 be DX10 compliant but work with DX10 as well?

Will they be there before x-mas, so I can bundle them with a nice AMD 4x4 or 4 core Intel EE?

Morton

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2005
ATI wants R600 to be the best card to run DX9 (sorry, don't remember the source of this information). Here's just one of many articles about those cards: http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32387
It was speculated earlier this summer that G80 will be released in September and R600 in November. The first DX10 games should be released already during the first quarters of 2007 (so early because Windows Vista was apparently originally being planned for release in Q4 2006), so there won't be such a long gap between new gen video cards and new gen games (as was once with the transition from DX8 to DX9).

Will G80 be DX10 compliant but work with DX9 as well?

Will R600 be DX10 compliant but work with DX10 as well?

I assume you meant DX9 for the R600, but yes these cards will function well in both environments, but no more DX8, it's over, throw out all those old games...... just kidding. :twisted:

Will they be there before x-mas, so I can bundle them with a nice AMD 4x4 or 4 core Intel EE?

That's the plan, but we'll see. I've said it's optimistic, but they will want to get the Xmas buying season because they're missing the Back to School, thus the 2 biggest buying times are gone if they launch in early 2007.

ATI wants R600 to be the best card to run DX9 (sorry, don't remember the source of this information).

Well the source was ATi themselves (statement made by Huddy), but it was repeated by many sites including the InQ;

http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32713

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20060525104243.html

http://news.softpedia.com/news/ATI-s-R600-The-World-039-s-Fastest-DirectX-9-Chip-24916.shtml

lasseht

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
How much do you think one of these spankin new cards will cost?? ~$600 maybe??

I hope there will be a small range of cards (Like the 6xxx and 7xxx series for Nvidia, similar for ATI).

I proberly end up with the "6800 ultra" eq. I always do :roll:

I normaly jump a generation, then you really fell the difference, rather than just a number in 3dmark.

$599 seems like an R600 target, and $499 seems like a G80 target, but everything hinges on WHEN they are launched (Xmas buying time [Nov to early December] you can charge a premium, after less so.) and what the comeptition looks like and is priced like when they arrive. If the R600 performs poorly and only matches the G80's upper low top end, then nV has the pricing reigns and ATi needs to drop, inverse for the reverse, although there'd be less pressure if these pre-launch rumoured prices are right since there'd already be a discount. However if they're cut-throat close like this last generation then prices may fall quickly over time depending on availability. And that's the last factor, if these cards are few and far between then the prices will go up, and may be at a premium above the MSRP, like the GF6800U, X800XTPE, GF7800GTX-512.

Short answer know one knows until they show fo' sho!

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006

$599 seems like an R600 target, and $499 seems like a G80 target, but everything hinges on WHEN they are launched (Xmas buying time [Nov to early December] you can charge a premium, after less so.) and what the comeptition looks like and is priced like when they arrive. If the R600 performs poorly and only matches the G80's upper low top end, then nV has the pricing reigns and ATi needs to drop, inverse for the reverse, although there'd be less pressure if these pre-launch rumoured prices are right since there'd already be a discount. However if they're cut-throat close like this last generation then prices may fall quickly over time depending on availability. And that's the last factor, if these cards are few and far between then the prices will go up, and may be at a premium above the MSRP, like the GF6800U, X800XTPE, GF7800GTX-512.

Short answer know one knows until they show fo' sho!

hahaha of course again the price/performance law will apply, also availability. I think, if theyll be here before xmas, it wont be the time to buy. Definetly a good DX9 with a nice xmas discount, but not DX10. After xmas the prices should drop a bit, when mass production will have catched up with the market.