For DNS to work, is it required to provide FQDN for DNS se..

When I just created a zone and do not config FQDN in System--> computer
name, none of the A host can dynamic add to the zone and can not resolve any
IP. But just know why it can not? Thanks

PS: sorry for so many question since I am mess with the DNS and DNs suffix.
THanks
2 answers Last reply
More about work required provide fqdn

    In news:ef$2kj8hFHA.4028@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    php <php> posted this:
    > When I just created a zone and do not config FQDN in System-->
    > computer name, none of the A host can dynamic add to the zone and can
    > not resolve any IP. But just know why it can not? Thanks
    >
    > PS: sorry for so many question since I am mess with the DNS and DNs
    > suffix. THanks

    Can you clarify?
    DNS registration requires, the DHCP client service running, either a primary
    or a connection specific DNS suffix. If the Suffix is a single-label name,
    registration cannnot take place without registry modifications to allow
    update of the top level domain.

    300684 - Information About Configuring Windows 2000 for Domains with
    Single-Label DNS Names
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300684&sd=RMVP

    --?
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ===================================
    ===================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    ===================================
    It will strip signature out and more
    ===================================
    with OEBackup:
    ===================================

    In news:ef$2kj8hFHA.4028@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    php <php> stated, which I then commented on below:
    > When I just created a zone and do not config FQDN in System-->
    > computer name, none of the A host can dynamic add to the zone and can
    > not resolve any IP. But just know why it can not? Thanks
    >
    > PS: sorry for so many question since I am mess with the DNS and DNs
    > suffix. THanks

    The domain name (if not a single label name) configured under the COmputer
    Name tab in System properties is the Primary DNS Suffix. That will wind up
    being your DNS Search Suffix. The Primary DNS Suffix is what's used for
    registration purposes. THe Search suffix is what's used to suffix single
    name when performing nslookups, pings, etc. If you config addition suffixes
    under the DNS tab, as I previously mentioned in your previous thread, they
    will all be used for searching and for registration.

    Now if you are using some other DNS server in this machine's IP properties,
    then none of this will work.

    Please post an ipconfig /all of your systems (DC/DNS server and of your
    client) so we can see EXACTLY what you have instead of further guessing to
    beter assist.

    --
    Regards,
    Ace