For DNS to work, is it required to provide FQDN for DNS se..

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

When I just created a zone and do not config FQDN in System--> computer
name, none of the A host can dynamic add to the zone and can not resolve any
IP. But just know why it can not? Thanks

PS: sorry for so many question since I am mess with the DNS and DNs suffix.
THanks

In news:ef$2kj8hFHA.4028@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
php <php> posted this:
> When I just created a zone and do not config FQDN in System-->
> computer name, none of the A host can dynamic add to the zone and can
> not resolve any IP. But just know why it can not? Thanks
>
> PS: sorry for so many question since I am mess with the DNS and DNs
> suffix. THanks

Can you clarify?
DNS registration requires, the DHCP client service running, either a primary
or a connection specific DNS suffix. If the Suffix is a single-label name,
registration cannnot take place without registry modifications to allow
update of the top level domain.

300684 - Information About Configuring Windows 2000 for Domains with
Single-Label DNS Names
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300684&sd=RMVP

--?
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

In news:ef$2kj8hFHA.4028@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
php <php> stated, which I then commented on below:
> When I just created a zone and do not config FQDN in System-->
> computer name, none of the A host can dynamic add to the zone and can
> not resolve any IP. But just know why it can not? Thanks
>
> PS: sorry for so many question since I am mess with the DNS and DNs
> suffix. THanks

The domain name (if not a single label name) configured under the COmputer
Name tab in System properties is the Primary DNS Suffix. That will wind up
being your DNS Search Suffix. The Primary DNS Suffix is what's used for
registration purposes. THe Search suffix is what's used to suffix single
name when performing nslookups, pings, etc. If you config addition suffixes
under the DNS tab, as I previously mentioned in your previous thread, they
will all be used for searching and for registration.

Now if you are using some other DNS server in this machine's IP properties,
then none of this will work.

Please post an ipconfig /all of your systems (DC/DNS server and of your
client) so we can see EXACTLY what you have instead of further guessing to
beter assist.

--
Regards,
Ace