SOA needed in subdomains?

I have domain set up, site.com, I wanted to add a subdomain to it. So I
added a new domain to the site.com domain. The only records I can add
to that new domain which appear to be any good to me are the <a> records.

So, I added my <a> record and gave it a IP address which is internal to
my network.

When I type the new address in a browser, etc it can't find it.

If I add the <a> record under the site.com domain with the internal IP,
it works every time.

What's going on?

Thanks,
Steve

In news:uGMVZmWiFHA.2916@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Steve Grosz <boise_bound@hotmail.com> posted this:
> I have domain set up, site.com, I wanted to add a subdomain to it.
> So I added a new domain to the site.com domain. The only records I
> can add to that new domain which appear to be any good to me are the
> <a> records.
>
> So, I added my <a> record and gave it a IP address which is internal
> to my network.
>
> When I type the new address in a browser, etc it can't find it.
>
> If I add the <a> record under the site.com domain with the internal
> IP, it works every time.

For a sub domain to resolve, you have to create a host record leaving the
name field blank and giving it the IP you want it to resolve to.

--?
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

No, not if you mean a 'subdomain' as defined by the MS MMC
where it is PART of the parent domain zone -- there is only one
zone so there is only one SOA in the file/record set.

If you mean a subdomain with it's own child DNS zone then, Yes,
there will be an SOA in each separately delegated child zone file.

"Steve Grosz" <boise_bound@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have domain set up, site.com, I wanted to add a subdomain to it. So I
> added a new domain to the site.com domain. The only records I can add
> to that new domain which appear to be any good to me are the <a> records.

You cannot add a CNAME? MX? Or TXT record? etc.?

Something is wrong. What happens specifically when you right click on
the zone, subdomain and choose New "xxx"? Are they all greyed out?

> So, I added my <a> record and gave it a IP address which is internal to
> my network.
>
> When I type the new address in a browser, etc it can't find it.

Go to the command line and use NSLookup to specifically query the
nameserver.

> If I add the <a> record under the site.com domain with the internal IP,
> it works every time.
>
> What's going on?

Are you typing: recordname.subdomain.site.com?

You might have left the host name blank so that it would be just
"subdomain.site.com" but then there would be little reason for
a subdomain IF you only wanted to add records with this same
name (and not more records within the subdomain.)

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE

> Thanks,
> Steve

No, not if you mean a 'subdomain' as defined by the MS MMC
where it is PART of the parent domain zone -- there is only one
zone so there is only one SOA in the file/record set.

If you mean a subdomain with it's own child DNS zone then, Yes,
there will be an SOA in each separately delegated child zone file.

"Steve Grosz" <boise_bound@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have domain set up, site.com, I wanted to add a subdomain to it. So I
> added a new domain to the site.com domain. The only records I can add
> to that new domain which appear to be any good to me are the <a> records.

You cannot add a CNAME? MX? Or TXT record? etc.?

Something is wrong. What happens specifically when you right click on
the zone, subdomain and choose New "xxx"? Are they all greyed out?

> So, I added my <a> record and gave it a IP address which is internal to
> my network.
>
> When I type the new address in a browser, etc it can't find it.

Go to the command line and use NSLookup to specifically query the
nameserver.

nslookup FULL_NAME_YOU_ADDED IP_OF_DNS_SERVER

(copy and paste the output to your reply here so we can see it.)

> If I add the <a> record under the site.com domain with the internal IP,
> it works every time.
>
> What's going on?

Are you typing: recordname.subdomain.site.com?

You might have left the host name blank so that it would be just
"subdomain.site.com" but then there would be little reason for
a subdomain IF you only wanted to add records with this same
name (and not more records within the subdomain.)

Gives us all the names involved -- and make sure you are adding
or leaving out names you actually used in the MMC.

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE