Sign in with
Your question

Antec 500Watt Smart Power 2 any good?!?!?

Last response: in Components
August 22, 2006 1:54:06 PM

Hi

Can someone pls advise if this powersupply is any good: Antec 500Watt Smart Power 2 smartpower2.

Thats the system:

Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Core 2 E6600
Radeon X1900 XTX 512MB PCI Express
5 Harddisks
2gb ram

I dont really want to spend more on the powersupply except if I absolutly have to.

Are there any other powersupplies which are good and similar price or even cheaper?
August 22, 2006 2:00:43 PM

for all that, i would suggest 550 watt and up. 5 hdd's and your video card will suck that power away from it ;) 
August 22, 2006 4:59:41 PM

I have that power supply, the 500w and I love it. Solid as a rock.
Related resources
August 23, 2006 2:14:01 AM

Quote:
I have that power supply, the 500w and I love it. Solid as a rock.

Agreed. I have it.
August 23, 2006 2:42:51 AM

Its a good PSU, but I would recommend the NeoHE or True Power 2.0 line over the smart power line. I have a NeoHE 550 and I love it. Modular cables, quiet, stable, what else could you want.
August 23, 2006 11:52:31 PM

Quote:
Its a good PSU, but I would recommend the NeoHE or True Power 2.0 line over the smart power line. I have a NeoHE 550 and I love it. Modular cables, quiet, stable, what else could you want.

Yup. Got one to go in a brand new shiny P180 the other day and it's veeeeeeery very quiet and the modular cables were dead easy to set up and with the help of a few zip ties it's very very tidy inside as well :) 
August 24, 2006 12:36:41 AM

hey to actually figure out the power you need check this site out
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp
found it in another topic in the forums dont remember which but its neat and will be helpful in telling you exactly the wattage you would use. Add something like 25% to 50% more to that wattage I would say and that gives you the psu wattage you might want
August 24, 2006 2:58:29 AM

Quote:
found it in another topic in the forums dont remember which but its neat and will be helpful in telling you exactly the wattage you would use. Add something like 25% to 50% more to that wattage I would say and that gives you the psu wattage you might want

wrong.

the calc over calculates ur power consumption by quite a bit. so if the calc says 200w, 20w should be plenty as long as u buy a good brand
August 24, 2006 3:51:53 AM

Quote:

wrong.

the calc over calculates ur power consumption by quite a bit. so if the calc says 200w, 20w should be plenty as long as u buy a good brand

They do tend to over estimate, but thats not why you don't have to worry if you buy a good brand. Buying a GOOD brnad being the operative word. Buying a low end or store brand, the rating is generally max output just before the thing burns up, hence the need for a 25% cushion or so. I good brand like Antec and others rate the PSUs according to working output, which menas they can handle that load under constant working conditions and not burn up.

So stick with a good PSU brand in the 450 to 550W range, and you'll be fine for a while.
September 16, 2006 4:09:21 AM

Well,

I bought three SP-500's this year. Two were DOA, the other lasted 9 months.

Antec was like "thank you for your email, to save performance on our servers , we have closed your case."

I'd stay away from that.

See my post here

I bought a Thermaltake TR-2 500. At least it came up.
September 16, 2006 9:30:24 AM

Quote:
Well,

I bought three SP-500's this year. Two were DOA, the other lasted 9 months.

Antec was like "thank you for your email, to save performance on our servers , we have closed your case."

I'd stay away from that.

See my post here

I bought a Thermaltake TR-2 500. At least it came up.

They have closed your tech support case because they feel that they can't get you to do anymore troubleshooting and that it's time to RMA both PSU's. Translation. You want them to magically fix them remotely :roll:
!