ASUS - P5B Deluxe Vs P5W DH Deluxe

talaash

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Hi Guys

I have the P5W DH and am very happy with it so far. No major dramas but I have not really tried to OC it to any extreme. A friend of mine has just bought the P5B Deluxe and is adament that its better than P5W DH for OCing. Besides the chipset are there any major differences between the motherboards? Does the extra $$ justify the purchase of the P5W DH?

Thanks in Advance.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
First off, the P5B's second PCI-E slot is only x2 or x4, which might affect you, might not. Second, it is generally accepted that the 975 chipset is better than the 965 chipset overall, although the new ICH8R southbridge is probably better, but the P5B did get some decent reviews.

www.hardocp.com did a pretty thorough review, seems like a pretty solid product albeit some quirks.

It is a good overclocker... better than the P5W-DH, maybe, but it's overclocking abilities shouldn't be underestimated. I however, still like the P5W, just for the sake of saying, I had a cool remote control =)

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006

talaash

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
For the Core 2 Duo the P5W and all 975x chipsets are not as good as the 965. Man, why did Intell lower the chipset number for a newer and better item.

After much research and hours of talking to tech reps, reading reviews, tech specs, articles and anything else I came to a semi reasonable and accurate assesment of the two Chipsets... check out my article!

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=1218087#1218087

Hi,

Since you want a direct comparison here it is:

A direct comparison of the best boards for the Conroes, and The 975x P5W DH Deluxe wins hands down. It OCs by a much greater margin even though the bios has still much room for improvements.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2797

As far as the FSB limitations, I think the combination of ram and motherboard is very important, as well as cooling and power supply off course. And as far as the overall OC is concerned it helps to have some luck and get a good chip. I don't believe any two cpu's manufactured is exactly the same which is important to remember.

Kind regards

ps. wusy thanks for all your help, you probably dont recall since you help so many here, but I bought a system with your assistance. I have never been happier with my gadget or as my wife says "...your first wife..", Mind you I dont think my computer is my first wife, it does run a close second though :).