Difference between Crossfire and SLI..??

noblesx

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Hi all,

I intend to build a new pc soon based on the Core 2 Duo and want to know which is better: Crossfire or SLi? Or would I be better served with a single card solution?

Can anyone direct me to a good resource on the differences between CF and SLI?

Cheers

prozac26

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
Unless you can get two 7900GTXs or X1900XTXs, SLI and CF are totally pointless. Also, it's better on a huge screen at least at 1600x1200.

GO for the best single card you can afford.

T_Bone

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
Go for a single card. Its really not worth the money to go CF/SLI. With the money you would spend on two cards I would buy one really good card.

monkey_knife_fight

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
I have to agree with everyone so far, go with a good single card solution. While SLI/Crossfire can improve some games, it actually hinders others. Not to mention the added power required to run SLI/Crossfire. With DX10 cards just around the corner, I would focus on getting one great card if I were you. Good luck!

noblesx

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
I've got around £800 GBP to spend (give or take) but if I'm honest, I'd rather keep it well under that unless I can see some phenomenal gains.
All I need is a processor, motherboard, new HDD and GFX card. I already have the other components.

I was giving some serious thought to getting a X1900XT / XTX now and getting another next month; or just getting a GF7950GX2. But the (combined) price of this configuration would make me think hard before a purchase.

At the moment I have a simple 17" CRT and really want to experience some true high res, eye candy gaming. I'm mainly into app developing and photo retouching but do enjoy a good game just as much as anyone else here.

Along similar lines - does anyone know of a decent monitor / screen capable of 1600x1200 resolution -ideally larger than 19" - for under £300 GBP..??