DNS Server Search List Behavior

Can someone confirm or deny that the client will:

Use the first DNS server defined in the list until it becomes unavailable
then moves to the next one in the list?

It will continue to use this next server until it too becomes unavailable
then moves to the next one (or back to the first one if only two are
specified) in the list?

It continues in this way even if the previous server becomes available after
it moves to the next?

Regards,

John

In news:%23gEqfmujFHA.3256@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
John Collins <eecs-csg@news.postalias> posted this:
> Can someone confirm or deny that the client will:
>
> Use the first DNS server defined in the list until it becomes
> unavailable then moves to the next one in the list?

Yes.

> It will continue to use this next server until it too becomes
> unavailable then moves to the next one (or back to the first one if
> only two are specified) in the list?

Yes, this is true too, but if TCP/IP is reset it will revert back. Although
IIRC, the system will reset the DNS server list itself after a period of
time. I believe there is a KB on this behavior, I guess I'm not using the
right search criteria, I can't seem to find it.

--?
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

In news:%2374g3xwjFHA.3936@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP] <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> stated, which I then
commented on below:
>> It will continue to use this next server until it too becomes
>> unavailable then moves to the next one (or back to the first one if
>> only two are specified) in the list?
>
> Yes, this is true too, but if TCP/IP is reset it will revert back.
> Although IIRC, the system will reset the DNS server list itself after
> a period of time. I believe there is a KB on this behavior, I guess
> I'm not using the right search criteria, I can't seem to find it.

Here you go Kevin:

DNS Name Resolution Client Side Behavior: (Page down to Figure 6.7)
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/cnet/cncf_imp_absq.asp

286834 - The DNS Client Service Does Not Revert to Using the First Server in
the List (see 245437 for reg entry to disable client caching to reset list):
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=286834

Querying DNS Servers - how the resolver service works:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/reskit/prjj_ipa_bsmz.asp

It's all explained in the DNS White paper (works for Win2000 and Win2003)
See page 38:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/howitworks/communications/nameadrmgmt/w2kdns.asp

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

=================================

obiwan

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

>> a period of time. I believe there is a KB on this behavior, I guess
>> I'm not using the right search criteria, I can't seem to find it.

> Here you go Kevin:
<snippage>

100% Correct Ace, and just to add my two cents, the query timeout can
be fine-tuned if needed by acting on a registry key as you can see here

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/regentry/96406.asp

(short URL http://tinyurl.com/6zkqd) and btw the entry documentation also
explains (were, more or less) how the resolution process is carried on by
the client

Regards

--

* ObiWan

Microsoft MVP: Windows Server - Networking
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/MVP/MVP.mspx
http://italy.mvps.org

DNS "fail-safe" for Windows clients.
http://www.ntcanuck.com

Newsgroups and forums
http://forums.ntcanuck.com

408+ XP/2000 tweaks and tips
http://www.ntcanuck.com/tq/Tip_Quarry.htm

In news:uGGcyUTkFHA.3436@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
ObiWan <obiwan@mvps.org> stated, which I then commented on below:
>>> a period of time. I believe there is a KB on this behavior, I guess
>>> I'm not using the right search criteria, I can't seem to find it.
>
>> Here you go Kevin:
> <snippage>
>
> 100% Correct Ace, and just to add my two cents, the query timeout can
> be fine-tuned if needed by acting on a registry key as you can see
> here
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/regentry/96406.asp
>
> (short URL http://tinyurl.com/6zkqd) and btw the entry documentation
> also explains (were, more or less) how the resolution process is
> carried on by the client
>
> Regards

Thanks Obi, that was the other one I couldn't find!

Ace

In news:uBTi5vzjFHA.3692@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Ace Fekay [MVP] <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com>
posted this:
> In news:%2374g3xwjFHA.3936@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
> Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP] <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> stated, which I
> then
> commented on below:
>>> It will continue to use this next server until it too becomes
>>> unavailable then moves to the next one (or back to the first one if
>>> only two are specified) in the list?
>>
>> Yes, this is true too, but if TCP/IP is reset it will revert back.
>> Although IIRC, the system will reset the DNS server list itself after
>> a period of time. I believe there is a KB on this behavior, I guess
>> I'm not using the right search criteria, I can't seem to find it.
>
> Here you go Kevin:
>
> DNS Name Resolution Client Side Behavior: (Page down to Figure 6.7)
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/cnet/cncf_imp_absq.asp
>
> 286834 - The DNS Client Service Does Not Revert to Using the First
> Server in
> the List (see 245437 for reg entry to disable client caching to reset
> list):
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=286834
>
> Querying DNS Servers - how the resolver service works:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/reskit/prjj_ipa_bsmz.asp
>
> It's all explained in the DNS White paper (works for Win2000 and
> Win2003)
> See page 38:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/howitworks/communications/nameadrmgmt/w2kdns.asp

You see, I knew it existed. I guess it was one of the many very long days
I've had lately.
Thanks Ace.

--?

In news:uO66ftYkFHA.2484@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP] <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> stated, which I then
commented on below:

> You see, I knew it existed. I guess it was one of the many very long
> days I've had lately.
> Thanks Ace.

It's always a pleasure Kevin!

Ace

Folks,

Thank you very much. I've learned a thing or two...

Regards,

John

"Ace Fekay [MVP]"
<PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:%23wr6wZUkFHA.3064@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> In news:uGGcyUTkFHA.3436@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
> ObiWan <obiwan@mvps.org> stated, which I then commented on below:
>>
>>> Here you go Kevin:
>> <snippage>
>>
>> 100% Correct Ace, and just to add my two cents, the query timeout can
>> be fine-tuned if needed by acting on a registry key as you can see
>> here
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/regentry/96406.asp
>>
>> (short URL http://tinyurl.com/6zkqd) and btw the entry documentation
>> also explains (were, more or less) how the resolution process is
>> carried on by the client
>>
>> Regards
>
> Thanks Obi, that was the other one I couldn't find!
>
> Ace

In news:ul$VArskFHA.212@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
John Collins <eecs-csg@news.postalias> stated, which I then commented on
below:
> Folks,
>
> Thank you very much. I've learned a thing or two...
>
> Regards,
>
> John

I hope it helped you out.

Ace