X-Fi problem: No sound until mode is changed

PaperShredder

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
I have an X-Fi 'Music' soundcard. I have installed the latest driver on a new XP Pro installation. When I first start Windows, the sound card does not output any sound (connected to headphones).

To get the card to work I have to switch from 'Entertainment' mode to another mode and then back again. After doing this the card works perfectly until I restart Windows.

Does anyone know what might be wrong?

incinerator

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2004
Sounds like a driver issue to me but i cant be certain. I own the same card as you. First thing i did was install the drivers from the interenet then installed the CD with custom install and unchecked the CD drivers. If you did that then try the following. Unistrall the sound card driver and software then run Driver Cleaner . After its removed restart and install the web drivers again then the custom install from the CD.

See if that solves your problem.

-][nCiNeRaToR-

PaperShredder

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Sounds like a driver issue to me but i cant be certain. I own the same card as you. First thing i did was install the drivers from the interenet then installed the CD with custom install and unchecked the CD drivers. If you did that then try the following. Unistrall the sound card driver and software then run Driver Cleaner . After its removed restart and install the web drivers again then the custom install from the CD.

See if that solves your problem.

I followed your instructions and it seemed to work for a while, but after a few restarts the same issue occured again. I own 2 X-Fi's, the other card works fine in another computer. I moved this card to the computer with the problem, the same thing happens with the second card when it is installed in that computer. I will try the card in a third machine.