Dynamic Updates & DUN

Hi folks,

I built a windows 2003 DNS server with a primary DNS zone which is
configured to allow dynamic updates. All the machines (XP) on the
network (no domain, workgroup) can update this DNS with their IP
addresses.

I have a machine (XP) which is on a GPRS modem, it connects to my
network via a private GPRS link. I have set the GPRS machine up with
the DNS IP address of the above server, I have enabled within the DUN
properties "register this client with DNS". But this machine never
updates DNS, any clues?

cheers
Dave
5 answers Last reply
More about dynamic updates

    Note

    the windows XP clients that are successful are connected via the
    network card, static IP addresses are also configured, when I change
    the static IP the DNS also gets updated. The GPRS machines are given
    their IP by a RADIUS server, only the IP address of the DNS server is
    static.

    Dave

    In news:1122324527.727030.241800@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com,
    Dave <david.hodgson@vianet.co.uk> stated, which I then commented on below:
    > Note
    >
    > the windows XP clients that are successful are connected via the
    > network card, static IP addresses are also configured, when I change
    > the static IP the DNS also gets updated. The GPRS machines are given
    > their IP by a RADIUS server, only the IP address of the DNS server is
    > static.
    >
    > Dave

    Assuming the XP clients are DHCP clients, is the DHCP server a Microsoft
    DHCP server that is using the DNS server (in it's IP properties) that the
    other machines are using?

    Maybe during the reg process access to the internal DNS has not been
    established yet. If you tried an ipconfig /registerdns while the client is
    connected via your modem, does that work? Are there any ports or any sort of
    traffic filtered?

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    =================================

    Excellent! The ipconfig /registerdns works fine from the GPRS client.
    Can I automate this to run after the dial-up GPRS connection has
    connected?
    Does this mean something else is wrong with the automatic dynamic
    update?

    The other XP clients that work over the LAN do not use DHCP, I have
    statically assigned their IP addresses in "Network Connections"

    Cheers
    Dave

    OK I have now used an eventrigger to run a batch file which contains
    "ipconfig /registerdns" this works fine, it's not ideal but it does
    work!

    Is there a reason why the command ipconfig /registerdns works but the
    automatic update doesn't?

    cheers
    Dave

    In news:1122374006.946700.236520@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com,
    Dave <david.hodgson@vianet.co.uk> stated, which I then commented on below:
    > OK I have now used an eventrigger to run a batch file which contains
    > "ipconfig /registerdns" this works fine, it's not ideal but it does
    > work!
    >
    > Is there a reason why the command ipconfig /registerdns works but the
    > automatic update doesn't?
    >
    > cheers
    > Dave

    It should work. Check under the GPRS interface to ensure the Connection
    Specific Suffix (IP properties, Advanced, DNS tab) is set to the zone you
    want the machine to update into.

    Ace

Windows Server 2003 DNS Windows XP Windows