DNS in the Windows Workgroup

I have 200 + pc’s in a workgroup on a WAN in a VPN. All have ADSL
connections, no Firewlls or NAT are on and all ADSL accounts
authenticate on the Radius server I set up in the VPN. I have 2 DNS
servers, 1 Windows 2000 and 1 Windows 2003, I can see all the A
records on either of the DNS servers, but I can only see about 90
pc’s in "My Network Places."

They are all in a workgroup with the same name, and the majority are
W2k pro or XP pro pc’s.

Why, when I browse the network, can I not see them all, what am i
missing??

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.
:wink:

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/DNS-Windows-Workgroup-ftopict400137.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1322550
1 answer Last reply
More about windows workgroup

    In news:3_1322550_7059516402405137962a380e6f6018e2@windowsforumz.com,
    Esoteric <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> stated, which I then commented
    on below:
    > I have 200 + pcâ?Ts in a workgroup on a WAN in a VPN. All have ADSL
    > connections, no Firewlls or NAT are on and all ADSL accounts
    > authenticate on the Radius server I set up in the VPN. I have 2 DNS
    > servers, 1 Windows 2000 and 1 Windows 2003, I can see all the A
    > records on either of the DNS servers, but I can only see about 90
    > pcâ?Ts in "My Network Places."
    >
    > They are all in a workgroup with the same name, and the majority are
    > W2k pro or XP pro pcâ?Ts.
    >
    > Why, when I browse the network, can I not see them all, what am i
    > missing??
    >
    > Thank you in advance for any help you can give.
    >> wink:

    NetBIOS connectivity. That is normally blocked via routers. The neighborhood
    is based on the Browser Service, which relies on NetBIOS broadcasts. If you
    have WINS, the Browser Service queries WINS for that info. WINS allows cross
    subnet NetBIOS functionality.

    Install WINS.

    --
    Regards,