Backup DNS

I have 2 Domain Controllers in my W2K Domain. The main DC runs DNS. I also
have a Member Server that runs ISA 2000 and DNS for the Internet.

If my main server goes down, I want DNS internally to still function. I want
it to function from DC #2. How do I do this?

TIA,

-Tom

In news:uIRO32UkFHA.572@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Tom Rogers <jeditom@NO-SPAMtwcny.rr.com> posted this:
> I have 2 Domain Controllers in my W2K Domain. The main DC runs DNS. I
> also have a Member Server that runs ISA 2000 and DNS for the Internet.
>
> If my main server goes down, I want DNS internally to still function.
> I want it to function from DC #2. How do I do this?

Install the DNS server service on DC #2.
If the zones on DC #1 are Active Directory integrated, you're done, the zone
will automatically replicate.
Then, all you need to do is add DC #2 to the DNS server list in TCP/IP
properties.

It really is just that simple, If you add a AD integrated zone to one DC,
the zone will appear on the other DC at the next replication cycle.

--?
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

In news:uIRO32UkFHA.572@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Tom Rogers <jeditom@NO-SPAMtwcny.rr.com> stated, which I then commented on
below:
> I have 2 Domain Controllers in my W2K Domain. The main DC runs DNS. I
> also have a Member Server that runs ISA 2000 and DNS for the Internet.
>
> If my main server goes down, I want DNS internally to still function.
> I want it to function from DC #2. How do I do this?
>
> TIA,
>
> -Tom

Make the zone AD Integrated. Install DNS on the other server. Add the zone
on the other server, make it AD Integrated and the zone data will appear. In
the first server, point to itself for the 1st DNS entry, the second would be
the other server. In the other server, point to itself for the first, then
the main server for the second. In your DHCP scope, add the other server as
the secondary DNS for your clients.

--
Regards,
Ace