Closed

Cannot format hard drive

I am trying to format my hard drive, it is already converted to NTFS but I
cam getting the error message cannot format drive e (my drive letter)

I have ran CHKDSK and it is saying unable to perform scan on RAW drives

Can anybody help

Thanks in Advance

Shaun
6 answers Last reply
More about cannot format hard drive

    In news:utEgCxWuEHA.1272@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Shaun Walls <shaunwalls@ntlworld.com> typed:

    >I am trying to format my hard drive, it is already converted to
    >NTFS
    > but I cam getting the error message cannot format drive e (my
    > drive
    > letter)

    You can't format the Windows drive from within Windows, since
    that would leave Windows without a leg to stand on.

    Just boot from the Windows XP CD (change the BIOS boot order if
    necessary to accomplish this) and follow the prompts for a clean
    installation (delete the existing partition by pressing "D" when
    prompted, then create a new one).

    You can find detailed instructions here:

    However why do you want to do this? In my view, it's almost
    always a mistake. With a modicum of care, it should never be
    necessary to reinstall Windows (XP or any other version). I've
    run Windows 3.0, 3.1, WFWG 3.11, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows
    2000, and Windows XP, each for the period of time before the next
    version came out, and each on two machines here. I never
    reinstalled any of them, and I have never had anything more than
    an occasional minor problem.

    It's my belief that this mistaken notion stems from the technical
    support people at many of the larger OEMs. Their solution to
    almost any problem they don't quickly know the answer to is
    "reformat and reinstall." That's the perfect solution for them.
    It gets you off the phone quickly, it almost always works, and it
    doesn't require them to do any real troubleshooting (a skill that
    most of them obviously don't possess in any great degree).

    But it leaves you with all the work and all the problems. You
    have to restore all your data backups, you have to reinstall all
    your programs, you have to reinstall all the Windows and
    application updates,you have to locate and install all the needed
    drivers for your system, you have to recustomize Windows and all
    your apps to work the way you're comfortable with.

    Besides all those things being time-consuming and troublesome,
    you may have trouble with some of them: can you find all your
    application CDs? Can you find all the needed installation codes?
    Do you have data backups to restore? Do you even remember all the
    customizations and tweaks you may have installed to make
    everything work the way you like?

    Occasionally there are problems that are so difficult to solve
    that Windows should be reinstalled cleanly. But they are few and
    far between; reinstallation should not be a substitute for
    troubleshooting; it should be a last resort, to be done only
    after all other attempts at troubleshooting by a qualified person
    have failed.

    If you have problems, post them here, it's likely that someone
    can help you and a reinstallation won't be required.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Shaun Walls wrote:

    > I am trying to format my hard drive, it is already converted to NTFS
    > but I cam getting the error message cannot format drive e (my drive
    > letter)
    >
    > I have ran CHKDSK and it is saying unable to perform scan on RAW
    > drives
    >
    > Can anybody help
    >
    > Thanks in Advance
    >
    > Shaun

    So you're saying that you've got a full-functioning normal system drive
    (C:\), and you've got an additional drive (E:\), and you just want to
    perform a format on drive E?

    "terry b@underthebridge.com" wrote:

    > Shaun Walls wrote:
    >
    > > I am trying to format my hard drive, it is already converted to NTFS
    > > but I cam getting the error message cannot format drive e (my drive
    > > letter)
    > >
    > > I have ran CHKDSK and it is saying unable to perform scan on RAW
    > > drives
    > >
    > > Can anybody help
    > >
    > > Thanks in Advance
    > >
    > > Shaun
    >
    > So you're saying that you've got a full-functioning normal system drive
    > (C:\), and you've got an additional drive (E:\), and you just want to
    > perform a format on drive E?
    > Sdavis1225
    should you be able to format using computer managment if you have C: is
    where your windows installation is. E: should be able to be formated using
    Computer managment

    If the drive is raw, then it needs to be prepped before you can format it.
    If no drive letter for the drive is showing in Disk Manager, then right
    click on it and let Disk Manager assign a letter and determine the drive
    type. Then you should be able to format (from the same flyout menu).

    "Shaun Walls" <shaunwalls@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >I am trying to format my hard drive, it is already converted to NTFS but I
    > cam getting the error message cannot format drive e (my drive letter)
    >
    > I have ran CHKDSK and it is saying unable to perform scan on RAW drives
    >
    > Can anybody help
    >
    > Thanks in Advance
    >
    > Shaun

  5. I had the same problem and I was able to resolve it by running Kill Disk on the hard drive after I received the message that "windows cannot format this drive". After I ran Kill Disk on the HD I was able to format the HD. A free copy of Kill Disk can be obtained by going to Download.com.
  6. This topic has been closed by Aford10

Format Hard Drives Windows XP