Build now or wait a little?

2cats

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
I'm considering building a Core 2 Duo machine, but the available boards (Asus) don't seem to be really ready for Core 2 Duo cpu's. I read (scimmed over really) the 975 boards article and the impression I got was that current offerings weren't quite ready for prime time. I was thinking of a P5B board with the e6300 or e6400 cpu, which wasn't reviewed, so I don't realy know if this is a good choice. I haven't built a pc in a while and everything has changed.

What I need the computer for is to process and work on RAW camera files, and to convert to tiff's, then to photoshop. These files are about 40 mb each.

Any remarks, suggestions, direction would be appreciated

_Morphine_

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
Now is never the right time to upgrade. :) It all moves so fast and if you wait for the next best thing you will never upgrade. If you need a computer now I think there are plenty of options that will suit a Conroe.

Whats your budget?

fredgiblet

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
I'd suggest you wait a month or two for the motherboards to get updated to ensure compatibility with C2D (and for supplies to go up and price gouging to go away).

2cats

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
My budget? Heck, I'm use a credit card! I'm still paying for my IBM 386sx. But really, I want to spend what I need to in order to have a machine that can transfer files (up to 1 gig) quickly off a cf card (relative to the 20 minutes it took on my cheapy year old laptop). Probably the most important issue is converting, opening, working on RAW files that are about 40 mb each. I will have to use a program (a Canon product) to view individual files from a thumbnial viewer, and make adjustments (like white balance) to it and then apply those setting to the rest in a batch process. When selecting an image to view from the thumbnail viewer, the image loads on screen like a progressive jpg, in about 3 passes. This took a long time on my laptop too. I will be saving these to tiff format.

Now. if I need a vide card with a lot of ram on it, over a fast cpu and loads of system memory, then thats what I'll do. If I need loads of ddr ram and a fast cpu and a less expensive vid card, then that it what I'll do. the machine won't do video editing or gaming, just RAW images.

I don't want to spend 500 bucks on a cpu, not yet anyway. nor do I want to spend 500 bucks on ram. The thing I see alot of is guys trying to use a Core 2 duo cpu on a board and they have to flash the bios to get it to work. Same goes for ddr 800 ram. So, should I wait until boards catch up or what do you suggest?

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
My budget? Heck, I'm use a credit card! I'm still paying for my IBM 386sx. But really, I want to spend what I need to in order to have a machine that can transfer files (up to 1 gig) quickly off a cf card (relative to the 20 minutes it took on my cheapy year old laptop). Probably the most important issue is converting, opening, working on RAW files that are about 40 mb each. I will have to use a program (a Canon product) to view individual files from a thumbnial viewer, and make adjustments (like white balance) to it and then apply those setting to the rest in a batch process. When selecting an image to view from the thumbnail viewer, the image loads on screen like a progressive jpg, in about 3 passes. This took a long time on my laptop too. I will be saving these to tiff format.

Now. if I need a vide card with a lot of ram on it, over a fast cpu and loads of system memory, then thats what I'll do. If I need loads of ddr ram and a fast cpu and a less expensive vid card, then that it what I'll do. the machine won't do video editing or gaming, just RAW images.

I don't want to spend 500 bucks on a cpu, not yet anyway. nor do I want to spend 500 bucks on ram. The thing I see alot of is guys trying to use a Core 2 duo cpu on a board and they have to flash the bios to get it to work. Same goes for ddr 800 ram. So, should I wait until boards catch up or what do you suggest?

If that is all your going to use it for get a 939 board and a Optron 144 ($129) or an Optron 146 ($150) and just OC them if you wish....one does 2.8Ghz the other 3Ghz on stock volts. Just use some G.Skill DDR500 ram USU2-4000-2GBHZ ($160-170 on Newegg).

ChrisBond

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
I suggest you get your self a MAC! I'm not a big fan of Mac but what you want to do is exactly what a Mac Pro can do. and their pro photo software, Aperture, you really can't go wrong and you can still use your M$ XP.
If not, then tell me your budget and I build you something that can handle Photoshop's hungriness.

mrmez

Splendid
Firstly... as an avid photographer myself, i find RAW a total waste of time. As long as i use an SLR above 5MP 1-2Mb jpg is fine... even for telescopic pix of the moon and, also enlarging sports pix... but i digress.

IMHO, get an Intel 805+water cooler = cheap, but will get u 4Ghz. Not as fast as C2D, but u wont complain, and its a LOT cheaper. Add 7900 card if u can, SLI prob a waste of time. + 2Gb Ram dual channel. Also very important, try run raid 0, even if its like.. 2x 120Gb hdds. Add CRT monitor (best colour reproduction), or OLED LCD $$$$$$$! Normal lcd still dont quite cut the mustard for pro gfx work :(
As for 975 vs Nforce4... for what you do it prob wont make a diff.

ALso important is your card reader and card. Ultrax2 i find is pretty much the same as Extremex3 i find :?:
And obviously NEVER transfer straight from cam to pc. Always use card reader.

Save $, dont bother with C2D for what u do, rather get a canon equiv on the nikon VR lens :twisted: ...if u dont already.

Hope this helps.

_Morphine_

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
I don't want to spend 500 bucks on a cpu, not yet anyway.
I think a LGA775/975X system is your answer.

Intel XBX for stability.

Intel P4-D805 until the price of conroe drops. (or anything similar in price)

That leaves you some options down the road and you dont break the bank (or CC) now. I think the stock D805 combined with the proper RAM and HDD is enough to get the job done at a reasonable price:performance until you are ready to upgrade in... a year?