Reasons not to use MS DNS ?

I have one of "those gurus" here questioning why not use a DNS appliance or
solution other than the current Microsoft DNS Server (Win2003) we have.

We have an Active Directory and DNS ADI is important to us. Other than the
the expertise we have in house and that the MS DNS has been working fine to
us to my knowledge, please advise whether people has been successful using
Active Directory with other DNS servers/solutions.

Frankster

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

So, you have one of "those gurus" wanting to fix something that is not
broken eh...? Why don't you tell us his *real* agenda?

-Frank

In news:uKutYMrkFHA.4024@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Marlon <marlon-nospam@hotmail.com> stated, which I then commented on below:
> I have one of "those gurus" here questioning why not use a DNS
> appliance or solution other than the current Microsoft DNS Server
> (Win2003) we have.
>
> We have an Active Directory and DNS ADI is important to us. Other
> than the the expertise we have in house and that the MS DNS has been
> working fine to us to my knowledge, please advise whether people has
> been successful using Active Directory with other DNS
> servers/solutions.

Other solutions exist, including NetIQ's MetaIP or Lucent's QIP, and BIND
DNS. The previous two are quite expensive and would need some real
justification if it's feature set is what you're looking for. For the most
part, it is usually recommended to stick with MS DNS because it "just
works". Many engineers out in these groups will agree with that assesment.
The products listed do not support interoperably (as far as my knowledge)
secure updates, which I know BIND doesn't. BIND uses TSIG (transaction
signatures), but are not compatible with Windows AD and Kerberos.

If you can state your current infrastructure, scenario, number of seats and
the reasons why you're organization is considering a change to another
solution, we can comment to better assist you.

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

=================================

"" wrote:
> So, you have one of "those gurus" wanting to fix something
> that is not
> broken eh...? Why don't you tell us his *real* agenda?
>
> -Frank
>
> "Marlon" <marlon-nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >I have one of "those gurus" here questioning why not use a
> DNS appliance or
> > solution other than the current Microsoft DNS Server
> (Win2003) we have.
> >
> > We have an Active Directory and DNS ADI is important to us.
> Other than the
> > the expertise we have in house and that the MS DNS has been
> working fine
> > us to my knowledge, please advise whether people has been
> successful using
> > Active Directory with other DNS servers/solutions.

Will that appliance support ALL the features AD-I DNS does? Why should
it replace the MS DNS? What are the reasons?

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/DNS-Reasons-MS-ftopict401323.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1327612

I am afraid his agenda is an awful anger and irrational opposition to any MS
product.

"Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
> So, you have one of "those gurus" wanting to fix something that is not
> broken eh...? Why don't you tell us his *real* agenda?
>
> -Frank
>
> "Marlon" <marlon-nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have one of "those gurus" here questioning why not use a DNS appliance
>>or
>> solution other than the current Microsoft DNS Server (Win2003) we have.
>>
>> We have an Active Directory and DNS ADI is important to us. Other than
>> the
>> the expertise we have in house and that the MS DNS has been working fine
>> us to my knowledge, please advise whether people has been successful
>> using
>> Active Directory with other DNS servers/solutions.

In news:%23HU7gS%23kFHA.3436@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Marlon Brown <nospamarlon@hotmail.com> stated, which I then commented on
below:
> I am afraid his agenda is an awful anger and irrational opposition to
> any MS product.

There's always one in every crowd who's closed minded.

Frankster

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

>I am afraid his agenda is an awful anger and irrational opposition to any
>MS product.

Why did I know that already! :) LOL!

-Frank

>> "Marlon" <marlon-nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I have one of "those gurus" here questioning why not use a DNS appliance
>>>or
>>> solution other than the current Microsoft DNS Server (Win2003) we have.
>>>
>>> We have an Active Directory and DNS ADI is important to us. Other than
>>> the
>>> the expertise we have in house and that the MS DNS has been working fine
>>> us to my knowledge, please advise whether people has been successful
>>> using
>>> Active Directory with other DNS servers/solutions.

Have *him* suggest a working alternative. Along with a cost
justification. :)

Jeff