PENTIUM 4 Upgrade

RAMAC

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
Hello,
I was referred to your sight by a friend.
I have a VPR Matrix computer with Motherboard D845BG.
It has socket mPGA478B. I have a 1.6 Pentium 4 proccessor.
What faster proccessor will this take?
I don't want to overclock anything, I was just wonder what Pentium 4 proccessor i could just drop in and go. Even if only a 2.2, I don't mind. Just want to speed it up a little.

Thank You very much for your help. This is great

Rick

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
It seems that you can pu a 2.6ghz cpu in there if you can find the correct one. It does have to be a 478 pin cpu.

Check this...

I found this and this should give you the info you need.
otherwise, look at THIS!
It is a desktop pc correct?

spongebob

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
Do a google seach for “socket 478 pentium” and you’ll come up with a few places that still sell older Pentiums. You should check your Motherboard manual to see what it can handle before upgrading though.

Maybe a CPU upgrade isn’t your only option though, extra memory can often help. If you post the amount and type of memory you have installed, what kind of hard drive you have and what you use the computer for someone might be able to provide more information.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Hello,
I don't want to overclock anything, I was just wonder what Pentium 4 proccessor i could just drop in and go. Even if only a 2.2, I don't mind. Just want to speed it up a little.

Rick
Well, from what I recall, pretty much all socket 478 boards can support all 478-pin processors.

In your case, your best bet just might be to seek out a Core 1. (not a Core 2; those ago in LGA775 sockets, not your PGA478 socket) They were originally designed as laptop chips, but have the nice advantages of low power draw, low heat production, and produce around 1.85 times as much performance per MHz as a Pentium 4, so a 2.0GHz Core 1 processor would perform like a 3.7GHz Pentium 4 in most applications. (particularly gaming) Of course, I believe they are still a little pricy...

Failing that, I believe Pentium 4s that will fit in a PGA478 socket come in speeds of up to 3.2-3.4GHz or so.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Hello,

Rick

I grabbed the specs on your mobo from Intel's website: ftp://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d845bg/a8334006.pdf

The fastest supported processor is a socket 478 P4 @ 2.6Ghz w/ 400 Mhz FSB. You can check it out here: http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=2441067

(they are a little bit older/harder to find so you have to pay a lot for what you get).

spongebob

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
(they are a little bit older/harder to find so you have to pay a lot for what you get).

Agreed, which is why I was hinting about the idea of adding RAM as an alternative solution. If the system is constantly swapping memory to/from the HD, additional memory could do wonders and might (?) be cheaper than a faster CPU.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

Agreed, which is why I was hinting about the idea of adding RAM as an alternative solution. If the system is constantly swapping memory to/from the HD, additional memory could do wonders and might (?) be cheaper than a faster CPU.

True, but do you even remember how freakin slow those P4 1.6s were??? It doesn't matter how much RAM you have, they are slow :D.

spongebob

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004

True, but do you even remember how freakin slow those P4 1.6s were??? It doesn't matter how much RAM you have, they are slow :D.

How's this for slow - my parents are still running a Celeron 400 if you can believe that 8O . Before bumping her RAM from 32mb to 128mb it would take 10+ min. :!: to boot Win2k - now it's about a minute. I installed a new HD as well, but I believe it was the memory that did the trick.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
How's this for slow - my parents are still running a Celeron 400 if you can believe that 8O . Before bumping her RAM from 32mb to 128mb it would take 10+ min. :!: to boot Win2k - now it's about a minute. I installed a new HD as well, but I believe it was the memory that did the trick.
Well, that's because 32MB is the absolute minimum for Win2K and they suggest at least 64MB. The jump from something like 1GB to 2GB wouldn't be as big.

spongebob

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
Well, that's because 32MB is the absolute minimum for Win2K and they suggest at least 64MB. The jump from something like 1GB to 2GB wouldn't be as big.

No argument there (stupid e-Machines box). Just suggesting other options - without more complete system specs there's no knowing for sure that a new CPU will be the best bang for the buck.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Hello,

Rick
Well, from what I recall, pretty much all socket 478 boards can support all 478-pin processors.

In your case, your best bet just might be to seek out a Core 1. (not a Core 2; those ago in LGA775 sockets, not your PGA478 socket) They were originally designed as laptop chips, but have the nice advantages of low power draw, low heat production, and produce around 1.85 times as much performance per MHz as a Pentium 4, so a 2.0GHz Core 1 processor would perform like a 3.7GHz Pentium 4 in most applications. (particularly gaming) Of course, I believe they are still a little pricy...

Failing that, I believe Pentium 4s that will fit in a PGA478 socket come in speeds of up to 3.2-3.4GHz or so.

Pentium M CPUs have 479 pins, and there are only a few desktop boards that support them.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
No argument there (stupid e-Machines box). Just suggesting other options - without more complete system specs there's no knowing for sure that a new CPU will be the best bang for the buck.
True enough... but he just asked about CPUs so I gave him information based on that.

Pentium M CPUs have 479 pins, and there are only a few desktop boards that support them.
Yeah, I think you would have a hard time installing a Pentium M CPU in your mobo. If it makes a crunching sound, just push harder! :lol:

You may be able to get away with a 2.8 GHZ Northwood socket 478 -
http://processorfinder.intel.com/Details.aspx?sSpec=SL7EY - They are hard to come by and can be expensive.

Check out www.powerleap.com they seem to have some in stock.
Well, you MIGHT be able to get away with that, but the 2.6 is the fastest supported CPU (see my earlier post) so it's kind of a gamble, and one that I wouldn't take based on the price.

pintojl3

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
Quite true. It really depends on how much the person really wants to keep "this" computer and not go with a whole new build or machine.

Doing a quick seach on eBay - full systems with 2.4 chips can be had for the price of just one of these 2.8's.