win2k server AD and DNS question

Hello folks,

I would like to get some knowlege from you Windows gurus :)

Our win admins have setup 2 win2000 servers with AD and also internal
DNS services are running on it. So far so good. The first server has IP
10.0.0.11 and the second one has IP 10.0.0.34. They also set the
secondary IP address on the second server 10.0.0.12. I don't know why
they need a secondary IP ...

With the GPO the admins have force the DNS IP to our PC's. They are
forcing the IP 10.0.0.11 and 10.0.0.12 as DNS servers. They are forcing
the secondary IP address of second server as DNS server.

Could we run in some DNS problems if DNS is running on secondary/virtual IP?

thanks

In news:JgLHe.1113$cE1.159931@news.siol.net,
tejlor <tejlor.nospam@volja.net> posted this:
> Hello folks,
>
> I would like to get some knowlege from you Windows gurus :)
>

> Our win admins have setup 2 win2000 servers with AD and also internal
> DNS services are running on it. So far so good. The first server has
> IP
> 10.0.0.11 and the second one has IP 10.0.0.34. They also set the
> secondary IP address on the second server 10.0.0.12. I don't know why
> they need a secondary IP ...
>
> With the GPO the admins have force the DNS IP to our PC's. They are
> forcing the IP 10.0.0.11 and 10.0.0.12 as DNS servers. They are
> forcing
> the secondary IP address of second server as DNS server.
>
> Could we run in some DNS problems if DNS is running on
> secondary/virtual IP?

The fact that they are using the "secondary" IP address of the DNS server
does not make any difference. What could be a problem is if the Domain
Controller it is not properly configured with these two IP addresses.
Multi-homed Domain controllers are problematic and usually require extra
configuration to make sure the DC adn domain name resolve to the right IP
address, if it is truly multi-homed with two NICs. In which case, I would
imediately see a problem, both IPs are in the same subnet.

--?
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

Kevin, thank you for your information. I will pass the infos to our win
admins :)

Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP] wrote:
> In news:JgLHe.1113$cE1.159931@news.siol.net,
> tejlor <tejlor.nospam@volja.net> posted this:
>
>>Hello folks,
>>
>>I would like to get some knowlege from you Windows gurus :)
>>

>>Our win admins have setup 2 win2000 servers with AD and also internal
>>DNS services are running on it. So far so good. The first server has
>>IP
>>10.0.0.11 and the second one has IP 10.0.0.34. They also set the
>>secondary IP address on the second server 10.0.0.12. I don't know why
>>they need a secondary IP ...
>>
>>With the GPO the admins have force the DNS IP to our PC's. They are
>>forcing the IP 10.0.0.11 and 10.0.0.12 as DNS servers. They are
>>forcing
>>the secondary IP address of second server as DNS server.
>>
>>Could we run in some DNS problems if DNS is running on
>>secondary/virtual IP?
>

> The fact that they are using the "secondary" IP address of the DNS server
> does not make any difference. What could be a problem is if the Domain
> Controller it is not properly configured with these two IP addresses.
> Multi-homed Domain controllers are problematic and usually require extra
> configuration to make sure the DC adn domain name resolve to the right IP
> address, if it is truly multi-homed with two NICs. In which case, I would
> imediately see a problem, both IPs are in the same subnet.
>
> --?
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> ===================================
> ===================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> ===================================
> It will strip signature out and more
> ===================================
> with OEBackup:
> ===================================

Hi

by secondary IP did you mean another entirely separate network card or did
you mean the "alternate configuration" on the TCP/IP properties page. Which
allows you to configure an alternate(secondary?) IP address

Just wasnt clear to me that's all, cus they obviously are very different :)

Regards

tejlor wrote:
>Kevin, thank you for your information. I will pass the infos to our win
>admins :)
>
>>>Hello folks,
>>>
>[quoted text clipped - 22 lines]
>> address, if it is truly multi-homed with two NICs. In which case, I would
>> imediately see a problem, both IPs are in the same subnet.

By secondary I mean alternate config on the TCP/IP properties...

server has just one network card

PScyime via WinServerKB.com wrote:
> Hi
>
> by secondary IP did you mean another entirely separate network card or did
> you mean the "alternate configuration" on the TCP/IP properties page. Which
> allows you to configure an alternate(secondary?) IP address
>
> Just wasnt clear to me that's all, cus they obviously are very different :)
>
> Regards

> tejlor wrote:
>
>>Kevin, thank you for your information. I will pass the infos to our win
>>admins :)

>>[quoted text clipped - 22 lines]
>>
>>>address, if it is truly multi-homed with two NICs. In which case, I would
>>>imediately see a problem, both IPs are in the same subnet.

Hi

I think Kevin was assuming this is a multihomed(more than one NIC) machine.
Regarding your original question I cannot for the life of me see why your
admins would distribute the "alternate configuration" IP as a DNS and not the
primary statically configured IP

Also are these addresses provided by DHCP? AFAIK the only reason to have an
"alternate configuration" configured is if you have "auto obtain an IP"
selected on the primary IP screen and for some reason it cant contact a DHCP
server to obtain an IP(it then falls back to the Alternate config) - unless
this criteria is met I dont think the "alternate configuration" IP address is
used

So in a nutshell AFAIK if you statically assign an IP address then the
alternate configuration will not be used

I have no idea why your admins would supply a DNS server IP that in effect
will never be used

If anyone can shed anymore light on why this configuration would be of any
use I would like to know :)

Regards

tejlor wrote:
>By secondary I mean alternate config on the TCP/IP properties...
>
>server has just one network card
>
>> Hi
>>
>[quoted text clipped - 17 lines]

In news:526E3478F8E0C@WinServerKB.com,
Pscyime via WinServerKB.com <forum@WinServerKB.com> made this post, which I
then commented about below:
<snip>

> So in a nutshell AFAIK if you statically assign an IP address then the
> alternate configuration will not be used

If a static address is set, there is no option for an alternate
configuration (tab will be missing).

> I have no idea why your admins would supply a DNS server IP that in
> effect will never be used
>
> If anyone can shed anymore light on why this configuration would be
> of any use I would like to know :)

I wouldn't even bother. I would just let DHCP handle it. If it doesn't get
an IP, then I know something's wrong and will attempt to take care of it.

OTO, nn alternate config is often used in a scenario where the laptops are
constantly being moved between multiple networks:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/tips/autoconfig.mspx

--
Regards,
Ace