Changing the IP address of a DNS server

Does anyone have first hand experience with changing the IP address of a DNS
server with AD installed?
3 answers Last reply
More about changing address server

    In news:6B0A29CF-49C6-4AFE-8B4C-1A4B680190AE@microsoft.com,
    Nick Pennisi <NickPennisi@discussions.microsoft.com> posted this:
    > Does anyone have first hand experience with changing the IP address
    > of a DNS server with AD installed?

    Add the new IP address and make sure DNS listens on both the new and old
    address. Add the new DNS IP address as a DNS server to the DNS client on
    the DC.
    Run ipconfig /flushdns & ipconfig /registerdns
    restart the Netlogon service
    run netdiag /fix
    run netdiag /test:dns /v and look for errors.
    If all passes the DNS test, change the DNS address on the clients, after all
    clients are using the new DNS IP without problems, remove the old IP
    address, run ipconfig /registerdns and restart the netlogon service. Re-run
    netdiag /test:dns /v and look for errors.

    --?
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ===================================
    ===================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    ===================================
    It will strip signature out and more
    ===================================
    with OEBackup:
    ===================================

    Hi Kevin

    Thank you for that. I will try this in my test environment. I'm just
    preparing myself as i think it's going to be quite a job... The same server
    hosts DNS, WINS and AD???

    Kindest regards
    Nick P

    In news:5AFB21AA-1C3D-48B3-A284-35B89A8388ED@microsoft.com,
    Nick Pennisi <NickPennisi@discussions.microsoft.com> posted this:
    > Hi Kevin
    >
    > Thank you for that. I will try this in my test environment. I'm just
    > preparing myself as i think it's going to be quite a job... The same
    > server hosts DNS, WINS and AD???

    The problem with just changing IP addresses is the chance of connectivity
    loss due to caching of records and client access. If you add the new address
    the old address is still in place for continued connectivity. You would
    certainly want the new address in place and working from all clients before
    removing the old address. As long as the new address is on the same
    interface and in the same subnet, you should have no big problems. You just
    want to make sure the clients are using the new DNS address before you
    remove the old.

    --?
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    It will strip signature out and more
    with OEBackup:

IP Address DNS Server Microsoft DNS Windows