Changing the IP address of a DNS server

Does anyone have first hand experience with changing the IP address of a DNS
server with AD installed?

In news:6B0A29CF-49C6-4AFE-8B4C-1A4B680190AE@microsoft.com,
Nick Pennisi <NickPennisi@discussions.microsoft.com> posted this:
> Does anyone have first hand experience with changing the IP address
> of a DNS server with AD installed?

Add the new IP address and make sure DNS listens on both the new and old
address. Add the new DNS IP address as a DNS server to the DNS client on
the DC.
Run ipconfig /flushdns & ipconfig /registerdns
restart the Netlogon service
run netdiag /fix
run netdiag /test:dns /v and look for errors.
If all passes the DNS test, change the DNS address on the clients, after all
clients are using the new DNS IP without problems, remove the old IP
address, run ipconfig /registerdns and restart the netlogon service. Re-run
netdiag /test:dns /v and look for errors.

--?
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

Hi Kevin

Thank you for that. I will try this in my test environment. I'm just
preparing myself as i think it's going to be quite a job... The same server
hosts DNS, WINS and AD???

Kindest regards
Nick P

In news:5AFB21AA-1C3D-48B3-A284-35B89A8388ED@microsoft.com,
Nick Pennisi <NickPennisi@discussions.microsoft.com> posted this:
> Hi Kevin
>
> Thank you for that. I will try this in my test environment. I'm just
> preparing myself as i think it's going to be quite a job... The same
> server hosts DNS, WINS and AD???

The problem with just changing IP addresses is the chance of connectivity
loss due to caching of records and client access. If you add the new address
the old address is still in place for continued connectivity. You would
certainly want the new address in place and working from all clients before
removing the old address. As long as the new address is on the same
interface and in the same subnet, you should have no big problems. You just
want to make sure the clients are using the new DNS address before you
remove the old.

--?