Exchange, Outlook and DNS problem

Hi all,

I have a specific question regarding setup made in my company and a problem
in it. Since I'm realtively new in this, I'll be as detailed as possible
and would appreciate as detailed answer as somebody is willing to give.

Company deceided to switch from ISP POP3 to local Exchange server. We
already had Win 2003 SBS (DC), but since we receive large ammounts of mail
with big attachments we went for new machine with Win 2003 and Exchange
2003 Enterprise. We also used old server with Win 2000 Server for ISA 2004
firewall to have RPC over HTTP functionality which is needed for our mobile
users for e-mail access. In front of all that is Cisco router which NATs
all trafic to internal network. To do a test run we registered dyndns.org
domain and gave it IP which Cisco routes to local ISA IP address.ISA is
configured to do RPC over HTTP routing for Exchange which is also located
in internal network. Problem occurs when we try to create new Exchange mail
account in Outlook while connected internal network. When I enter
dyndns.org domain name and username, Outlook always resolves it's name to
local one (company.dyndns.org to exchange.company.local). On our DC I've
created DNS zone for dyndns.org and name "company" which points to Exchange
server. When I try ping to dyndns.org address it goes to right machine and
everything, but Outlook always reverts to local name.

I there a way to fix this and if there is, how?

Thanks in advance,
Ivo

In news:8yhn9w3j6eco$.1n76pfo9ynkim.dlg@40tude.net,
Ivo Buljeta <ivo.buljeta@gmail.com> posted this:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a specific question regarding setup made in my company and a
> problem in it. Since I'm realtively new in this, I'll be as detailed
> as possible and would appreciate as detailed answer as somebody is
> willing to give.
>
> Company deceided to switch from ISP POP3 to local Exchange server. We
> already had Win 2003 SBS (DC), but since we receive large ammounts of
> mail with big attachments we went for new machine with Win 2003 and
> Exchange 2003 Enterprise. We also used old server with Win 2000
> Server for ISA 2004 firewall to have RPC over HTTP functionality
> which is needed for our mobile users for e-mail access. In front of
> all that is Cisco router which NATs all trafic to internal network.
> To do a test run we registered dyndns.org domain and gave it IP which
> Cisco routes to local ISA IP address.ISA is configured to do RPC over
> HTTP routing for Exchange which is also located in internal network.
> Problem occurs when we try to create new Exchange mail account in
> Outlook while connected internal network. When I enter dyndns.org
> domain name and username, Outlook always resolves it's name to local
> one (company.dyndns.org to exchange.company.local). On our DC I've
> created DNS zone for dyndns.org and name "company" which points to
> Exchange server. When I try ping to dyndns.org address it goes to
> right machine and everything, but Outlook always reverts to local
> name.
>
> I there a way to fix this and if there is, how?

Not sure if this is the problem you're having but it sounds like it.
You may need to force Outlook to use RPC over HTTP and not fallback to TCP.

Forcing Outlook 2003 to use RPC over HTTP:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555233

If this is not your problem please verify you have made the registry changes
needed for RPC over HTTP to work.
How to configure RPC over HTTP on a single server in Exchange Server 2003:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;833401

--?
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 12:02:05 -0500, Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP] wrote:

> Not sure if this is the problem you're having but it sounds like it.
> You may need to force Outlook to use RPC over HTTP and not fallback to TCP.
>
> Forcing Outlook 2003 to use RPC over HTTP:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555233
>
> If this is not your problem please verify you have made the registry changes
> needed for RPC over HTTP to work.
> How to configure RPC over HTTP on a single server in Exchange Server 2003:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;833401

Thanks for quick responese :)

I did all the necessary registry edits for Exchange server, but wasn't
aware of Outlook fix.

Thanks again,
Ivo

In news:1hvtwkiadxngu.6b7tx630bu56.dlg@40tude.net,
Ivo Buljeta <ivo.buljeta@gmail.com> made this post, which I then commented
about below:

> Thanks for quick responese :)
>
> I did all the necessary registry edits for Exchange server, but wasn't
> aware of Outlook fix.
>
> Thanks again,
> Ivo

Also, you may want to take a look at this if it applies:

How to configure an RPC over HTTP topology on computers that are running
Exchange 2003 with Service Pack 1:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;841652

--
Regards,