Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help on picking a graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 22, 2006 7:37:53 PM

Hi - I'm about to build a new machine, probably packing a Core 2 Duo E6300 and 2gig of Corsair 5300 RAM. I need help picking a graphics card. There are three or four options for me, on these two pages.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/X1800_Series.htm...
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/X1900_Series.htm...

On the X1800 page, the first one is a possibility, the:
1) Connect3D ATI Radeon X1800 XT 256MB GDDR3 AVIVO

On the X1900 page, the ones of similar price (~£150 inc VAT) I am also interested in:
1) Connect3D ATI Radeon X1900 GT 256MB GDDR3
2) HIS ATI Radeon X1900 GT ICEQ 3 SILENT Heatpipe 256MB GDDR3 AVI
3) Sapphire ATI Radeon X1900 GT 256MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI

Now I have absolutely no idea which of these cards is best, and why. They all cost roughly the same, so I could buy any of them. I was hoping someone could have a quick look at them and give me a run down of the best one, and why. As a side note, I may well overclock, if that affects things.

More about : picking graphics card

August 22, 2006 8:27:53 PM

Quote:
Hi - I'm about to build a new machine, probably packing a Core 2 Duo E6300 and 2gig of Corsair 5300 RAM. I need help picking a graphics card. There are three or four options for me, on these two pages.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/X1800_Series.htm...
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/X1900_Series.htm...

On the X1800 page, the first one is a possibility, the:
1) Connect3D ATI Radeon X1800 XT 256MB GDDR3 AVIVO

On the X1900 page, the ones of similar price (~£150 inc VAT) I am also interested in:
1) Connect3D ATI Radeon X1900 GT 256MB GDDR3
2) HIS ATI Radeon X1900 GT ICEQ 3 SILENT Heatpipe 256MB GDDR3 AVI
3) Sapphire ATI Radeon X1900 GT 256MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI

Now I have absolutely no idea which of these cards is best, and why. They all cost roughly the same, so I could buy any of them. I was hoping someone could have a quick look at them and give me a run down of the best one, and why. As a side note, I may well overclock, if that affects things.
Get the X1800, by all means. The Radeon X1900GT is a bad joke; performance-wise, it's pretty darn weak; with a core speed of 500MHz, and a memory speed of 1000MHz, it's pretty poor even BEFORE you have 25% of the processing units (ROPs, texturing units, shaders) disabled. (one might say "pipelines," but the Radeon X1k cards do not use pipelines)
August 22, 2006 8:28:57 PM

dx10 cards are around the corner, so i would suggest go with X1800 XT and get 6400 ram and e6400, you would have a killer rig and when dx10 cards are out you simply upgrade
Related resources
August 22, 2006 8:35:05 PM

Vista has already reported that it will not have dx10 upon release, also as of now it doesnt support SLI.
August 22, 2006 8:40:27 PM

Quote:

The Radeon X1900GT is a bad joke


Not really bud, if the cost was a little lower, it WOULD be the midrange GPU of choice when compared to the 7900GT. The problem with it is that its a cut down R580. The incoming GT's are (supposably) based upon a built up R520 process. The performance is alright; however it is quite the overclocker.

Dont take my post in the wrong light; the GT wouldnt be my first pick. However its no where near as bad as you seem to portray it too be.
August 22, 2006 8:45:55 PM

Quote:
Get the X1800, by all means. The Radeon X1900GT is a bad joke; performance-wise, it's pretty darn weak; with a core speed of 500MHz, and a memory speed of 1000MHz, it's pretty poor even BEFORE you have 25% of the processing units (ROPs, texturing units, shaders) disabled. (one might say "pipelines," but the Radeon X1k cards do not use pipelines)

X1900GT isn't a joke it's just slower than the X1800XT. Plus, the clock speeds are 575 core and 1200 memory (effective).

The X1800XT is a better card if available at similar price point.
August 22, 2006 10:11:55 PM

Quote:
X1900GT isn't a joke it's just slower than the X1800XT. Plus, the clock speeds are 575 core and 1200 memory (effective).

The X1800XT is a better card if available at similar price point.

You ba||s of solid rock saying that with an X1900GT in your signature.

I understand...it's hard to find good video card deals in Canada.
!