Help on picking a graphics card

Hi - I'm about to build a new machine, probably packing a Core 2 Duo E6300 and 2gig of Corsair 5300 RAM. I need help picking a graphics card. There are three or four options for me, on these two pages.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/X1800_Series.html
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/X1900_Series.html

On the X1800 page, the first one is a possibility, the:
1) Connect3D ATI Radeon X1800 XT 256MB GDDR3 AVIVO

On the X1900 page, the ones of similar price (~£150 inc VAT) I am also interested in:
1) Connect3D ATI Radeon X1900 GT 256MB GDDR3
2) HIS ATI Radeon X1900 GT ICEQ 3 SILENT Heatpipe 256MB GDDR3 AVI
3) Sapphire ATI Radeon X1900 GT 256MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI

Now I have absolutely no idea which of these cards is best, and why. They all cost roughly the same, so I could buy any of them. I was hoping someone could have a quick look at them and give me a run down of the best one, and why. As a side note, I may well overclock, if that affects things.
6 answers Last reply
More about help picking graphics card
  1. Quote:
    Hi - I'm about to build a new machine, probably packing a Core 2 Duo E6300 and 2gig of Corsair 5300 RAM. I need help picking a graphics card. There are three or four options for me, on these two pages.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/X1800_Series.html
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/X1900_Series.html

On the X1800 page, the first one is a possibility, the:
    1) Connect3D ATI Radeon X1800 XT 256MB GDDR3 AVIVO

On the X1900 page, the ones of similar price (~£150 inc VAT) I am also interested in:
    1) Connect3D ATI Radeon X1900 GT 256MB GDDR3
    2) HIS ATI Radeon X1900 GT ICEQ 3 SILENT Heatpipe 256MB GDDR3 AVI
    3) Sapphire ATI Radeon X1900 GT 256MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI

Now I have absolutely no idea which of these cards is best, and why. They all cost roughly the same, so I could buy any of them. I was hoping someone could have a quick look at them and give me a run down of the best one, and why. As a side note, I may well overclock, if that affects things.
    Get the X1800, by all means. The Radeon X1900GT is a bad joke; performance-wise, it's pretty darn weak; with a core speed of 500MHz, and a memory speed of 1000MHz, it's pretty poor even BEFORE you have 25% of the processing units (ROPs, texturing units, shaders) disabled. (one might say "pipelines," but the Radeon X1k cards do not use pipelines)
  2. dx10 cards are around the corner, so i would suggest go with X1800 XT and get 6400 ram and e6400, you would have a killer rig and when dx10 cards are out you simply upgrade
  3. Vista has already reported that it will not have dx10 upon release, also as of now it doesnt support SLI.
  4. Quote:

The Radeon X1900GT is a bad joke

Not really bud, if the cost was a little lower, it WOULD be the midrange GPU of choice when compared to the 7900GT. The problem with it is that its a cut down R580. The incoming GT's are (supposably) based upon a built up R520 process. The performance is alright; however it is quite the overclocker.

Dont take my post in the wrong light; the GT wouldnt be my first pick. However its no where near as bad as you seem to portray it too be.
  5. Quote:
    Get the X1800, by all means. The Radeon X1900GT is a bad joke; performance-wise, it's pretty darn weak; with a core speed of 500MHz, and a memory speed of 1000MHz, it's pretty poor even BEFORE you have 25% of the processing units (ROPs, texturing units, shaders) disabled. (one might say "pipelines," but the Radeon X1k cards do not use pipelines)

X1900GT isn't a joke it's just slower than the X1800XT. Plus, the clock speeds are 575 core and 1200 memory (effective).

The X1800XT is a better card if available at similar price point.
  6. Quote:
    X1900GT isn't a joke it's just slower than the X1800XT. Plus, the clock speeds are 575 core and 1200 memory (effective).

The X1800XT is a better card if available at similar price point.

You ba||s of solid rock saying that with an X1900GT in your signature.

I understand...it's hard to find good video card deals in Canada.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Radeon ATI Graphics Product