Sign in with
Your question

Core 2 X6800 51c to 53c - should I go water?

Last response: in Overclocking
August 22, 2006 7:44:06 PM

I need help guys. I bought the Core 2 X6800 and used a Big Typhoon air cooler I had. Using SpeedFan, I was seeing 41c-43c over the last three weeks. Not bad I thought.

Last night, after about 4 hours of intense BF2, I checked and it was 52c-53c. That seems real high. Temp in the room was about 74F with high humidity. Should the Core 2 run that high? Is the Big Typhoon any good? I used the thermal paste that came with it and may have slopped on too much.

My local store had a Thermaltake Big water SE for $120 that I just bought. I'm having second thoughts.

After $2800 for the system, I am tapped out but can't fry the $1100 chip!

What would you recommend knowing that my budget is pretty much gone. I can return the Big Water, but that's about all I can spend.

Core 2 Duo X6800 Conroe (Stock Clock for now)
Intel D975XBXLRK - 304
Thermaltake Big Typhoon HSF
2 GB Corsair Pro PC6400 4-4-4-15
ATI X1900XTX
74GB 10K Raptor HD
Soundblaster Audigy 2 SZ
NEC OEM DVD Burners (x2)
Ultra 1.44FD/Card reader
Gigabyte 3D Aurora Case
Ultra X-Finity 600W SLi Certified PSU
a b K Overclocking
August 22, 2006 8:05:04 PM

I assume that your case temp got pretty high during that session, you could increase your airflow to your case, or vent your GPU to outside so that you are not cooling your cpu with such warm air? This could explain why you can manage decent temps normally but under extended load they climb quite high?
August 22, 2006 8:37:05 PM

52-53c isn't that high. It should be lower for best performance, but isn't critical. If you slopped the thermal paste on too thick, its easy enough to clean it off and put on a thinner coat.

Since you already bought the water cooling outfit, may as well use it. It won't hurt, unless you just want the money to spend on something else. Another solution, as already suggested, would be to add a case fan or two so as to get rid of the hot air in the case.
Related resources
August 22, 2006 8:37:33 PM

It's true that 51-53 is quite high, but the X6800 also has the highest thermal rating of all the Core 2's. 51-53 should still be fine, no cause for any major alarm, but yeah, you might want to double check your case cooling. What kind of case are you using? Also, might want to check GPU and Chipset temp. The Big Typhoon is one of the better HSF's out there, can't really get much better unless you go TEC or watercooling. The BigWater SE is no good, you'd need at least $200 for a good watercooling setup, anything lower and you might as well stick with air-cooling.
August 22, 2006 9:12:14 PM

I'm gonna return the Big Water SE, the 1/4 tubing scares me. I guess I'll re-seat the typhoon tonight with Artic Silver 5 applied CORRECTLY this time. I'm using SpeedFan to check temps, but I keep hearing about CoreTemp. Is that just for AMD's?

I will check case temp also. I think it was 43c when the CPU was under heavy load. I have the new Gigabyte 3D Aurora Game case with 3 120mm fans running full out, so I should have pretty good case cooling. I do notice it gets warm under my desk (I have a big commercial U-shaped desk). I have both the new Core 2 computer as well as my old Athlon XP3200 Barton under there with 2 big UPS boxes between. I will check temp under there as well. Maybe I need an additional fan for the desk not the case...

Any other ideas, keep them coming.

I found this link for the Intel Core 2 Thermal specs (Chapter 5) and the 51c-53c doesn't seem bad for high load.

ftp://download.intel.com/design/processor/datashts/3132...

Thanks for all the help
August 22, 2006 9:18:11 PM

There are two things I'd consider initially - the air circulation of the case and reseating the HSF. What are the positions of all intake and outtake fans? Reseating the HSF and using something like ARC 5 or ceramique may also help. It could just be a combination of the HSF not sitting completely flush with the surface of the CPU and poor air circulation.
August 22, 2006 10:10:11 PM

Quote:
I'm gonna return the Big Water SE, the 1/4 tubing scares me. I guess I'll re-seat the typhoon tonight with Artic Silver 5 applied CORRECTLY this time. I'm using SpeedFan to check temps, but I keep hearing about CoreTemp. Is that just for AMD's?

core temp is for all core 2 duo cpus and all K8 cpus. download it here:
core temp :D 
August 23, 2006 9:51:25 PM

Core temp is an awesome little program. It puts two little temp monitors down on the bottom right task list which constantly display temp.

I found out the it's not my heat sink, it's just the X6800 Conroe. The case temp stays arounf 41c, but the cores pop up to 52c when under heavy load but right back down to 41c-43c when the load drops. According to the Intel documents, that's actually lower than the stock heat sink performance.

Also found out what everyone says about the X1900XTX is true. It's a wonderful video card and a great foot warmer too. Under my computer desk, it is 74F normally, and when I run my AMD3200 with a X700Pro, it might go up a degree or two. Turn on the Conroe with the X1900XTX, and it's 88F in about an hour. I need to figure out how to ventilate my desk (no jokes please) environment not my computer. Although, winter will be here before we know it and a computer/footwarmer might be just what the doctor ordered...
August 23, 2006 10:26:34 PM

Quote:
I need help guys. I bought the Core 2 X6800 and used a Big Typhoon air cooler I had. Using SpeedFan, I was seeing 41c-43c over the last three weeks. Not bad I thought.

Last night, after about 4 hours of intense BF2, I checked and it was 52c-53c. That seems real high. Temp in the room was about 74F with high humidity. Should the Core 2 run that high? Is the Big Typhoon any good? I used the thermal paste that came with it and may have slopped on too much.

My local store had a Thermaltake Big water SE for $120 that I just bought. I'm having second thoughts.

After $2800 for the system, I am tapped out but can't fry the $1100 chip!

What would you recommend knowing that my budget is pretty much gone. I can return the Big Water, but that's about all I can spend.

Core 2 Duo X6800 Conroe (Stock Clock for now)
Intel D975XBXLRK - 304
Thermaltake Big Typhoon HSF
2 GB Corsair Pro PC6400 4-4-4-15
ATI X1900XTX
74GB 10K Raptor HD
Soundblaster Audigy 2 SZ
NEC OEM DVD Burners (x2)
Ultra 1.44FD/Card reader
Gigabyte 3D Aurora Case
Ultra X-Finity 600W SLi Certified PSU

Have you checked the voltage to your Vcore? Your cpu could be overvolted from you PSU/MB causing your processor to heat up.
August 24, 2006 2:34:28 PM

1.145 v to core. I think the temp is just l,oad related. I'm not sure I like it though. I may post another looking for best water system for X6800 Conroe and the D975XBXLRK MB. I also have th X1900XTX, so I may wan to water cool that as well.

Again, thanks for the advise.
August 29, 2006 9:01:54 PM

Hi
i have the same Gigabyte case and the Big water SE water cooling system.
also i have an AMD X2 4900 CPU that generates high temp.
also i installed a very high end GPU which is the XFX nVidia FX7900-GTX.
no wmy system runs at a temp of 35 at normal operation and 50 at full load
gaming like LOTR battle for middle earth 2 with over clocking and all.
here is some few tricks that i found helpfull. knowing that i live in a very hot region.
1- order a GPU water block for about 30$ from ThermalTake.
2- keep only 2 of the fans that comes with the Case, you have to remove the lower one in the back panel of the case.
3- install the radiator and fan from the liquid cooling system at the outer side of the case back panel (below the other fan but outside).
4- make sure the flow of the radiator fan is out from the case.
5- the pipes should be connected in the following order
pump - water tank - CPU - GPU - Radiator - Pump.
6- the case fan power connector with the yellow wire(RPM sensor)
should be connected to the radiator fan.

hope you find this usfull
August 31, 2006 2:27:16 AM

I got an X6800 i used cranked it up to 3.2Ghz with only the multiplier, and in Everest the 2 cores read 57C and 57C when running 100 percent on each one...

Is this too hot ? Or still ok? What is the maximum the 2 cores can get hot? 65?
I cranked it up to 3.46Ghz and i couldn't run orthos for more than 3min without a stopage ... and the temp went up to 70C on both cores...

Damn !
August 31, 2006 3:41:08 AM

your fine with your temps.
water is always a good option but like I said .

your fine :wink:

!