DNS question

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

Hi,

I am looking for some advice or pro/con discussion on the topic of using the
..local domain name. Can anyone give me their thoughts on this issue?

In news:07D45EF6-87EE-42A0-BBC4-1977330B8242@microsoft.com,
Ted <Ted@discussions.microsoft.com> made this post, which I then commented
about below:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for some advice or pro/con discussion on the topic of
> using the .local domain name. Can anyone give me their thoughts on
> this issue?

Deciding what domain name to use internall has been a frequently discussed
topic. You can search back thru these threads to see what I mean. In a
nutshell, the best bet is to use a different name than your external name,
such as company.com would be your external, you can choose company.local,
company.net, or even company.ted.

You can also use a sub domain of your public name, such as ad.company.com as
the start of your AD namespace.

If you use the same name, there is additional administrative overhead to
insure getting to your external webserver, among other minor things.

If there is anything else you have questions about, or if this is not what
you are looking for, please elaborate with exactly what you are trying to
find out.

--
Regards,
Ace