CON1 Review

Children of the Night (CON1) is the first of the two John Barbosa mods about
Ariela. There was to be a third one but the second one wore him out. A
third one is being built by others and we may see it some day.

You can play CON2 without playing CON1 and there is an adequate summary of
CON1 bundled with it as well as Ariela's diary. But for roleplaying
purposes I think it desirable to start with CON1. You will be introduced to
npc's that appear again in CON2. The mod is suitable for a beginning PC and
assumes he just came off the boat. I use 'he' deliberately because of the
romantic nature of the mods. But a female PC can be used.

There are few rewards in the mod beyond the amulet Ariela gives at the
beginning which restores health -- handy for a new character. The mod is
linear though you can leave Ariela and do other things. Barbosa places some
of his npc's at the beginning of the mod so if you travel as far as Balmora
it is best to ignore them until you arrive as part of the mod. Disposition
is important and you will need to raise some of these to get all the
relevant comments. You should also not leave Seyda Neen area until Ariela
suggests it. Talk to her frequently and at different times to get all of
her comments.

There is little fighting and the one hard battle has an alternate solution.
Other battles can either be avoided entirely or need limited participation
as there are NPC's to do most of the fighting.

Barbosa's story is good and he inserts ambiguity at certain points. English
is not his first language -- he is Portugese -- and some of his word choices
are not the best though the meaning is clear.

If you include CON1, it may conflict with another MOD -- I think it was
Morrowind Comes Alive (the one that adds many critter sounds). The
conflicting mod uses one of the cells that CON1 does and overwrites it,
removing a needed npc. The npc is the man with two woman companions
standing in the road south from Seyda Neen a bit after the Silt Strider. He
triggers action. Until I removed the conflicting mod, he would be there
until the first time I saved and left the game. I also note that the ending
is not obvious. It seems to end in Balmora but only does so if you follow
Ariels to Hla Oda and then take the route to Seyda Neen.

While CON1 is geared to a beginning character, CON2 needs a developed
character -- my Imperial was level 35. If you plan to play CON2 don't
include it until your character is ready for a messenger with a note comes
immediately and then follows you until you go to Pelaquid.

"ALMA ENGELS" <thirinel@worldnet.att.net> wrote in

> "Seymour C. Moore" <notv@l.id> wrote in message

>> Other things I didn't like about it:
>>
>> 1. Ariela has some kick-ass equipment, but got killed by one of the
>> smuggler punks (not the mage) while my character was busy freeing the
>> slaves.
>
> WAhy did you take her into the cave? She can wait for you while you
> battle.

She's a companion, not an escort.

>> 2. Right outside Seyda Neen you are invited to join 3 fighers against
>> some other smugglers and they set up an ambush. Problem is that after
>> getting in position *nothing* happens *unless* Ariela is also in the
>> company.
>
> Think you are wrong here. I left Ariela by the stiltrider. The
> action is dependent on time of day/night.

I waited several days and nothing happened.
So I checked the mod in the Construction Set.
Mitas is supposed to say this when the bandits appear:
"There! I can see them descending that hill over yonder. Terabya, stay at
the back. Bana, come by my side. %PCName, you and your friend should go
and meet them; pretend that you're lost and ask for directions while we
hide amongst the shadows. Go."

So I assumed Ariela had to be with my character to trigger the event.

>> The problem with this mod is that the author assumes it's the only
>> mod the player is playing. I have 150 mods installed and I treat all
>> of them as part of the living world of Morrowind and I (try to) role
>> play my characters. That means I will sometimes refuse quests, but I
>> still want some of the other aspects of the mod, like ambushing the
>> smugglers without having to be stuck with Ariela.
>
> Ambushing the smugglers is no big deal. The three PC's can handle
> them by themselves.

Well, my character was interested in the possible loot.

sarah

"ALMA ENGELS" <thirinel@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> The language is stilted but I wonder how fluent you would be trying to
> write in Portugese.

I judge mods based on how they enhance the game for me, not based on who
wrote them and the skills they possess in real life. Bad spelling,
grammatical errors, and stilted dialogue are all a turn off for me. I'm not
going to praise a mod that contains them just because English isn't the
writer's first language.

sarah

> I think the Khajit in the basement of the South Wall Corner Club looks
> ridicilous (in a very cute way) in her dress.

I've never really noticed anything remarkable about the Khajit in the South
Wall Corner Club. You must be an Ahnassi fan.

> I hate companions!
> The most aggravating part of Morrowind is when those morons start casting
> spells at monsters and my character is hit by it. Without "The Law"
> caring one bit. But if the same moron walks in front of my sword just as
> I'm swinging it at a rat you can bet the massed police forces of Tamriel
> will be instantly alerted to the "crime". Grrr!!!

Reminds me of one time when a weakling character was escorting a mage from
Balmora to Pelagiad. The character had just levelled and so the opponents
were a wee bit tougher than they had been previously. When coming out of
the mountains (near the turn off to Suran), a kagouti charged us. My
character didn't even have time to draw her weapon, but did have the good
sense to move, when the mage fried the thing with a sparks spell. I
remember thinking, "who's escorting who???"

Talking about morons walking in front of swords, a pet peeve of mine is when
a fight takes place in a club and NPCs keep walking between you and the
opponent. I also hope that in Oblivion, if you belong to a guild and are
attacked in the guild, that the other guild members help you out and don't
just stand around. What's the point of belonging to a guild if you can't
count on a little help from your friends?

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 20:14:10 -0500, "Sarah"
<scrubbrush@DELrogers.comDEL> wrote:

>Talking about morons walking in front of swords, a pet peeve of mine is when
>a fight takes place in a club and NPCs keep walking between you and the
>opponent. I also hope that in Oblivion, if you belong to a guild and are
>attacked in the guild, that the other guild members help you out and don't
>just stand around. What's the point of belonging to a guild if you can't
>count on a little help from your friends?

I remember a character who decided to take a nap in the Mage's Guild,
of which he was a member. An assassain spawned, but far enough away
that my character decided to take a shot at him with his bow.
Unfortunately he missed and the entire Guild Membership decided to
beat up on him. Can't they tell the difference between a hired
assassain and a Guild Member?

Another time I decided to take a nap right outside of Caldera, in
sight of the friendly guard who always helps me with the Alits because
I knew that an assassain was ready to spawn. Sure enough, there I am,
being attacked in broad daylight by an assassain and what does the
guard do? He stands there and watches.
--
Nyctolops

sarah

"Nyctolops" <nyctolops@vla.nospam.com> wrote in message

> Another time I decided to take a nap right outside of Caldera, in
> sight of the friendly guard who always helps me with the Alits because
> I knew that an assassain was ready to spawn. Sure enough, there I am,
> being attacked in broad daylight by an assassain and what does the
> guard do? He stands there and watches.

Yes, I find that odd. Guards are very quick to attack hostile animals, but
don't interfere when a humanoid attacks, even when they attack first in the
middle of town and in full view of a guard. I think they're doing something
about this in Oblivion. I read that guards will arrest people when
appropriate.

"Sarah" <scrubbrush@DELrogers.comDEL> wrote in message
> "ALMA ENGELS" <thirinel@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>
>> The language is stilted but I wonder how fluent you would be trying to
>> write in Portugese.
>
> I judge mods based on how they enhance the game for me, not based on who
> wrote them and the skills they possess in real life. Bad spelling,
> grammatical errors, and stilted dialogue are all a turn off for me. I'm
> not going to praise a mod that contains them just because English isn't
> the writer's first language.

CON2 is mucho better Englishwise. The story is good and he inbeds
conversations among his npc's in dialog. Ariela is absent from the first
parts of the mod. You might enjoy it though it takes a long time to dl.

Alma who also appreciates good terse English.

> So I assumed Ariela had to be with my character to trigger the event.

Try talking to the guy after 10 PM, and the dialogue should appear. I
initially had Arielle with me when I first spoke to the guy, but then left
her behind some rocks when I went to go fight the smugglers.

I gave up on CON1, because I can't find Arielle in Balmora. I dunno if
there's a character who's supposed to show up, and hasn't? I did the
Pelgiad bit, and then talked to that lame-o guy in the dress. And then she
said to go to Balmora, which I did, and she disappeared. I searched all
over for her, but no luck. :(

And the MOD kind of frustrates me, because characters won't repeat
themselves when they tell you something, and none of it shows up in the
Journal, except for what Arielle does. It's very frustrating.

"Pope Emperor FrogMaN" <uncle_toade@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Seymour C. Moore" <notv@l.id> wrote in message
>
>> So I assumed Ariela had to be with my character to trigger the event.
>
> Try talking to the guy after 10 PM, and the dialogue should appear. I
> initially had Arielle with me when I first spoke to the guy, but then left
> her behind some rocks when I went to go fight the smugglers.
>
> I gave up on CON1, because I can't find Arielle in Balmora. I dunno if
> there's a character who's supposed to show up, and hasn't? I did the
> Pelgiad bit, and then talked to that lame-o guy in the dress. And then
> she
> said to go to Balmora, which I did, and she disappeared. I searched all
> over for her, but no luck. :(
>
> And the MOD kind of frustrates me, because characters won't repeat
> themselves when they tell you something, and none of it shows up in the
> Journal, except for what Arielle does. It's very frustrating.

iIf you want to find Ariela in Balmora, check the buildings on the better
side of town. The one holding her has a NPC with a suggestion and I thinik
there may be a clue in another one. I found her before checking there.

> iIf you want to find Ariela in Balmora, check the buildings on the better
> side of town. The one holding her has a NPC with a suggestion and I
thinik
> there may be a clue in another one. I found her before checking there.

Thank you very much. I'll go look again. I think I just missed something.
Thanks.

"ALMA ENGELS" <thirinel@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> iIf you want to find Ariela in Balmora, check the buildings on the better
> side of town. The one holding her has a NPC with a suggestion and I
thinik
> there may be a clue in another one. I found her before checking there.

There's one place I didn't check before, and that's where she was, haha.