Computers Missing from Network Neighborhood

I don't know if this is the right place to post a problem but i am going to
start here. We have a Small Business server 2K3 server with 2 W2K & 1 W2K3
member servers. Recently, we noticed that when browsing the network from any
server, half the comptuers are missing. If we go to the workstations, they
can browse the servers and see all the computers. I have check DNS and all
seems ok. I can ping the missing workstations by IP and name. I can do an
nslookup on all the workstations and they resolve just fine. This isn't
really affecting our network or our functiality but is odd. If anyone has
any thoughts please let me know. I would like to resolve this issue before
things do start having problems.
Thanks in advance.
8 answers Last reply
More about computers missing network neighborhood

    Computer share browsing is a netbios operation and isn't handled by
    DNS. Your problem is a fairly common one though.

    I am assuming that all your workstations are on a single LAN IP segment.
    Which is to say you don't have workstations on different sides of a router
    or layer 3 switch. If you do that would be the problem. Also, you must be
    sure to have "enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP" set in the IP settings, and
    your workstations must not be "hidden" servers (net config server /hidden).

    There is a utility called browstat you can use to diagnose problems like this,
    but assuming your network isn't really large (with SBS that isn't too likely :-) )
    I'd suggest starting with something simpler: Disable the "computer browser"
    service on all workstations and just have it running on the server. You can do
    this with group policy, or with 'foot policy'.

    This does several things - most importantly it makes your server the sole domain
    browser and backup browser for the netbios browse list. No more "elections". In a
    small network this is more than adequate, and it eliminates the constant
    shuffling around of browse list role holders.

    It will take an hour or so to stabilize the browse lists, at which point everyone
    should appear. If not, you can use browstat to more easily track down what
    is going on. If you still have problems, post back.

    Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
    Ergodic Systems, Inc.

    In article <BB2F7FE4-4A68-4F26-BC19-2EE86FDE6196@microsoft.com>,
    rknapke@discussions.microsoft.com says...

    >I don't know if this is the right place to post a problem but i am going to
    >start here. We have a Small Business server 2K3 server with 2 W2K & 1 W2K3
    >member servers. Recently, we noticed that when browsing the network from any
    >server, half the comptuers are missing. If we go to the workstations, they
    >can browse the servers and see all the computers. I have check DNS and all
    >seems ok. I can ping the missing workstations by IP and name. I can do an
    >nslookup on all the workstations and they resolve just fine. This isn't
    >really affecting our network or our functiality but is odd. If anyone has
    >any thoughts please let me know. I would like to resolve this issue before
    >things do start having problems.
    >Thanks in advance.
    ************ REPLY SEPARATER ************
    What Steve says is 100% correct. On a small network you don't need more than
    one master browser. If you had been running an all XP/SP2 network, you would
    not have a master browser period. If you ever consider upgrading your network
    to XP, always leave at least one 2000 machine connected to the network.

    J.A. Coutts

    In news:dRTIe.171481$9A2.107733@edtnps89,
    John Coutts <administrator@spam.yellowhead.com> made this post, which I then
    commented about below:
    > ************ REPLY SEPARATER ************
    > What Steve says is 100% correct. On a small network you don't need
    > more than one master browser. If you had been running an all XP/SP2
    > network, you would not have a master browser period. If you ever
    > consider upgrading your network to XP, always leave at least one 2000
    > machine connected to the network.
    >
    > J.A. Coutts

    John,

    Is there an article stipulating the lack of a master brownser using all
    XP/SP2 machines in a workgroup? Is that due to the firewall?

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    =================================

    In article <eTm7njomFHA.3256@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
    PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com says...

    >In news:dRTIe.171481$9A2.107733@edtnps89,
    >John Coutts <administrator@spam.yellowhead.com> made this post, which I then
    >commented about below:
    >> ************ REPLY SEPARATER ************
    >> What Steve says is 100% correct. On a small network you don't need
    >> more than one master browser. If you had been running an all XP/SP2
    >> network, you would not have a master browser period. If you ever
    >> consider upgrading your network to XP, always leave at least one 2000
    >> machine connected to the network.
    >>
    >> J.A. Coutts
    >
    >John,
    >
    >Is there an article stipulating the lack of a master brownser using all
    >XP/SP2 machines in a workgroup? Is that due to the firewall?
    >
    >--
    >Regards,
    >Ace

    ************* REPLY SEPARATER *************
    No it is from personal experience which I aired on this news group previously.
    I cannot remember who assisted me, but we were not able to resolve the issue.

    The problem surfaced when a customer of mine was forced to upgrade their
    systems on a small network without a server. When all systems were upgraded to
    XP/SP2, none of the machines could browse the network. Plug in one 2000 machine
    and all of them could browse. It appeared to me that SP2 did not support the
    Master Browser service. The problem did not exist with SP1.

    J.A. Coutts

    In news:zm3Je.128309$wr.58859@clgrps12,
    John Coutts <administrator@spam.yellowhead.com> made this post, which I then
    commented about below:
    > ************* REPLY SEPARATER *************
    > No it is from personal experience which I aired on this news group
    > previously. I cannot remember who assisted me, but we were not able
    > to resolve the issue.
    >
    > The problem surfaced when a customer of mine was forced to upgrade
    > their systems on a small network without a server. When all systems
    > were upgraded to XP/SP2, none of the machines could browse the
    > network. Plug in one 2000 machine and all of them could browse. It
    > appeared to me that SP2 did not support the Master Browser service.
    > The problem did not exist with SP1.
    >
    > J.A. Coutts

    I thought it sounded familiar. I remember being part of the discussion, but
    it feels like it was so long time ago.

    Ace
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    > No it is from personal experience which I aired on this news group
    previously.
    > I cannot remember who assisted me, but we were not able to resolve the
    issue.

    > The problem surfaced when a customer of mine was forced to upgrade their
    > systems on a small network without a server. When all systems were
    upgraded to
    > XP/SP2, none of the machines could browse the network. Plug in one 2000
    machine
    > and all of them could browse. It appeared to me that SP2 did not support
    the
    > Master Browser service. The problem did not exist with SP1.

    SP2 supports the Master Browser but makes the XP machine
    worthless as a master browser if the firewall is enaable without
    opening the needed ports.

    I believe that it can even participate and WIN the Master Browser
    election, but then cannot accept the requests for the Backup Browser
    list and browse lists.

    --
    Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
    Accelerated MCSE

    "John Coutts" <administrator@spam.yellowhead.com> wrote in message
    > In article <eTm7njomFHA.3256@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
    > PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com says...
    > >
    > >In news:dRTIe.171481$9A2.107733@edtnps89,
    > >John Coutts <administrator@spam.yellowhead.com> made this post, which I
    then
    > >commented about below:
    > >> ************ REPLY SEPARATER ************
    > >> What Steve says is 100% correct. On a small network you don't need
    > >> more than one master browser. If you had been running an all XP/SP2
    > >> network, you would not have a master browser period. If you ever
    > >> consider upgrading your network to XP, always leave at least one 2000
    > >> machine connected to the network.
    > >>
    > >> J.A. Coutts
    > >
    > >John,
    > >
    > >Is there an article stipulating the lack of a master brownser using all
    > >XP/SP2 machines in a workgroup? Is that due to the firewall?
    > >
    > >--
    > >Regards,
    > >Ace
    > >
    > ************* REPLY SEPARATER *************
    > No it is from personal experience which I aired on this news group
    previously.
    > I cannot remember who assisted me, but we were not able to resolve the
    issue.

    > The problem surfaced when a customer of mine was forced to upgrade their
    > systems on a small network without a server. When all systems were
    upgraded to
    > XP/SP2, none of the machines could browse the network. Plug in one 2000
    machine
    > and all of them could browse. It appeared to me that SP2 did not support
    the
    > Master Browser service. The problem did not exist with SP1.
    >
    > J.A. Coutts

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In article <O4f5rrvmFHA.2920@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, news@LearnQuick.com says...

    >> No it is from personal experience which I aired on this news group
    >previously.
    >> I cannot remember who assisted me, but we were not able to resolve the
    >issue.
    >>
    >> The problem surfaced when a customer of mine was forced to upgrade their
    >> systems on a small network without a server. When all systems were
    >upgraded to
    >> XP/SP2, none of the machines could browse the network. Plug in one 2000
    >machine
    >> and all of them could browse. It appeared to me that SP2 did not support
    >the
    >> Master Browser service. The problem did not exist with SP1.
    >

    >SP2 supports the Master Browser but makes the XP machine
    >worthless as a master browser if the firewall is enaable without
    >opening the needed ports.
    >
    >I believe that it can even participate and WIN the Master Browser
    >election, but then cannot accept the requests for the Backup Browser
    >list and browse lists.

    ********** REPLY SEPARATER *********
    No it cannot. Firewall was disabled because the network was firewalled at the
    perimeter. The Master Browser service appears to be active, but it is non
    functional and Browstat reports it as such.

    J.A. Coutts
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    "rknapke" <rknapke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I don't know if this is the right place to post a problem but i am going
    > start here. We have a Small Business server 2K3 server with 2 W2K & 1
    W2K3
    > member servers. Recently, we noticed that when browsing the network from
    any
    > server, half the comptuers are missing. If we go to the workstations,
    they
    > can browse the servers and see all the computers. I have check DNS and
    all
    > seems ok. I can ping the missing workstations by IP and name. I can do
    an
    > nslookup on all the workstations and they resolve just fine. This isn't
    > really affecting our network or our functiality but is odd. If anyone
    has
    > any thoughts please let me know. I would like to resolve this issue
    before
    > things do start having problems.

    On quick check of this thread I don't see a mention of your
    subnetting/routing setup OR if you have WINS Server(s).

    If you ahve MORE than one Subnet you need a WINS server,
    and ALL machines will need to be be WINS clients (on their
    NICs) to be certain that browsing will work across subnets
    (and across domains with multiple subnets.)

    Even "servers" (including the WINS Server itself) need to be
    WINS clients, and run NetBIOS of course. Without this they
    will not be registered and able to be found by other true clients.

    Without this, the Domain Master Browser (your PDC or PDC
    Emulator) and the Master Browsers from each subnet will not
    find each other.

    (Ok, you could make LMHOSTS files but that is an obsolete and
    very tedious -- i.e., inferior -- solution.)

    --
    Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
    Accelerated MCSE

    > Thanks in advance.