AMD XP-M Athlon 2800+

mussard

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
Hi everyone,

Im looking for any type of report on the performance of this processor, i havent been able to find one since its an older processor,

Does anyone have one of these and if so how does it run???

Im looking for details on it because my bro has one and he says its running about 700mhz which is just stupid so without me going over his house and looking myself just wondering if anyone has any problem with these running

Cheers

Mussard

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Welcome to TGForumz!

Cool n' Quiet is your friend's issue. It is a hardware/software thing from AMD that throttles the processor down to a lower voltage and lower speed when the computer is at idle. This way, it keeps the processor cooler and keeps the fans quieter because they don't need to spin as fast. Intel has a similar feature. They were featured firstly on mobile computers to reduce power consumption, but now have moved to desktops. Intel has their own version called Speed Step. Nifty, but sometimes annoying.

To disable:

First, go to your Power Options in the Control Panel. Choose any Power Scheme other than Minimal Power Management. This alone may fix it. If it does not, that means there is an option in the BIOS for it. Go to the BIOS and look for C n' Q option. You may need to refer to the manual if you can't find it. Just put it to disable and your done!

I had the same issue with my Dell 1.7Ghz Pentium M. Keep running at 700Mhz or something. I actually noticed the speed decreases, so I just switched the power management scheme. Luckily, I didn't need to go to the BIOS.

Good luck!

~Ibrahim~