Configuring DNS for new exchange server.

I had some problems in the past so I need to clear something up.

We have a domain of xyz.com pointing to 192.168.1.2 that's hosted on an ISPs
server. Email is also hosted at this same site with domain mail.xyz.com
pointing to the same IP address.

I'm about to install a local Exchange server with an IP of 10.0.0.1. I need
to change mail.xyz.com to point to 10.0.0.1. The root domain xyz.com (which
will also be email address ie user@xyz.com) will keep the same IP Address.
What's the exact procedure for updating DNS for mail to flow correctly?

Thanks!
5 answers Last reply
More about configuring exchange server

    Something wrong here. There is no way your ISPs DNS server has a domain name
    pointing to 192.168.1.2 since that is part of the reserved private IP space.
    Perhaps a better explanation of your current system setup would help.

    Sounds like you will have to ask your ISP to change your mail record to
    point to your Router's (modem's) external IP address and then configure your
    modem to forward that to your internal mail server. You do have a static IP,
    right?

    -Frank

    "James Bailey" <jbailey77@hot_mail.com> wrote in message
    >I had some problems in the past so I need to clear something up.
    >
    > We have a domain of xyz.com pointing to 192.168.1.2 that's hosted on an
    > ISPs server. Email is also hosted at this same site with domain
    > mail.xyz.com pointing to the same IP address.
    >
    > I'm about to install a local Exchange server with an IP of 10.0.0.1. I
    > need to change mail.xyz.com to point to 10.0.0.1. The root domain xyz.com
    > (which will also be email address ie user@xyz.com) will keep the same IP
    > Address. What's the exact procedure for updating DNS for mail to flow
    > correctly?
    >
    > Thanks!

    I didn't want to put my IP Address online. That is just an example, as is
    the domain name. Sorry for the confusion

    "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
    > Something wrong here. There is no way your ISPs DNS server has a domain
    > name pointing to 192.168.1.2 since that is part of the reserved private IP
    > space. Perhaps a better explanation of your current system setup would
    > help.
    >
    > Sounds like you will have to ask your ISP to change your mail record to
    > point to your Router's (modem's) external IP address and then configure
    > your modem to forward that to your internal mail server. You do have a
    > static IP, right?
    >
    > -Frank
    >
    > "James Bailey" <jbailey77@hot_mail.com> wrote in message
    >>I had some problems in the past so I need to clear something up.
    >>
    >> We have a domain of xyz.com pointing to 192.168.1.2 that's hosted on an
    >> ISPs server. Email is also hosted at this same site with domain
    >> mail.xyz.com pointing to the same IP address.
    >>
    >> I'm about to install a local Exchange server with an IP of 10.0.0.1. I
    >> need to change mail.xyz.com to point to 10.0.0.1. The root domain xyz.com
    >> (which will also be email address ie user@xyz.com) will keep the same IP
    >> Address. What's the exact procedure for updating DNS for mail to flow
    >> correctly?

    In news:%23kbAXMpnFHA.1148@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    James Bailey <jbailey77@hot_mail.com> made this post, which I then commented
    about below:
    > I didn't want to put my IP Address online. That is just an example,
    > as is the domain name. Sorry for the confusion

    It's pretty much what Frankster said. If the internal Exchange server is
    10.0.0.1, and let's say your external address is a.b.c.d, then in your NAT
    device, you would port remap 25 to 10.0.0.1. For the A record for your mail
    server, let's say it's mail.yourdomain.com, change the IP to a.b.c.d. Leave
    the MX record alone, because if it was done properly, it's already pointing
    to mail.yourdomain.com.

    If you have access to DNS, you can change it. If not, you'll need to ask
    whomever can change it.

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    =================================

    Here's an interesting problem I faced one day. It's still pending.

    Website and Email Server are hosted at different sites with different IP
    Addresses. If you do a lookup on mail.company.com you won't find an MX
    record. An A record for mail.company.com points to the exchange server IP
    address. An A record for company.c om (root domain without www) points to
    the Exchange server also. The company wants their root domain of company.com
    to resolve to their website, which is a different IP address. I changed the
    root to point to the web server, and created an MX record. After those
    changes were made, email stopped flowing. The only way to fix it was to
    delete the MX record and point the root domain back to the exchange server.

    What happened? I thought I did everything right but obviously missed
    something.

    Thanks for any input.

    --
    Infotech

    This company
    "Ace Fekay [MVP]"
    <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in
    message news:u1OjMeunFHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

    In news:er$MkC1nFHA.1372@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    James Bailey <jbailey77@hot_mail.com> made this post, which I then commented
    about below:
    > Here's an interesting problem I faced one day. It's still pending.
    >
    > Website and Email Server are hosted at different sites with different
    > IP Addresses. If you do a lookup on mail.company.com you won't find
    > an MX record.

    That's correct. I wouldn't imagine finding an MX record for
    mail.company.com. You would have to perform an nslookup for domain.com
    querying for the MX record for domain.com, not mail.domain.com.

    nslookup
    set q=mx
    domain,com

    > An A record for mail.company.com points to the exchange
    > server IP address. An A record for company.c om (root domain without
    > www) points to the Exchange server also.

    > The company wants their root
    > domain of company.com to resolve to their website, which is a
    > different IP address.

    > I changed the root to point to the web server,

    Good, that's the proper way to do it. The blank domain record should be
    pointing to the webserver, not the mail server.

    > and created an MX record. After those changes were made, email
    > stopped flowing. The only way to fix it was to delete the MX record
    > and point the root domain back to the exchange server.

    No, no! How exactly did you create the MX record?? To properly create an MX
    record:
    1. Rt-click the zone, choose to create MX record.
    2. Leave the top name box blank.
    3. In the bottom "Mailserver" box, type in mail.company.com

    This has to be done on the external DNS hosting the public records. Internal
    private DNS MX records are not needed and frankly useless.

    > What happened? I thought I did everything right but obviously missed
    > something.

    Maybe it was the way it was created.

    > Thanks for any input.

    I hope that helped. If you want further *specific* help, please supply your
    actual domain name and we'll check it out and point out any problems from
    our own tests.

    Ace

Domain Exchange Server DNS Windows