cpu/heatsink on mobo before mounting in case

I was looking at the manual for the mobo I will be getting (Asus p5w dh) and it says to mount the mobo in the case, then set the cpu and heatsink. I have the scythe ninja and regardless of that I read here that the CPU and heatsink should be mounted on the mobo BEFORE mounting the mobo in the case.

Considering the size of the Ninja what order should I put everything together?

Also, regaring the memory chips. I have 2x1gb modules and the manual didn't say which slots they go in. Do they go in slots 1 and 2, or 1 and 3?

Thanks!!

Eddie
6 answers Last reply
More about heatsink mobo mounting case
  1. It probably asks you to install the heatsink first because it has a mounting bracket attached to the back of the motherboard. You'd be hard pressed to get that thing on there after you've installed it.
  2. most ppl will mount the cpu and hsf before putting the motherboard in the case, also mount the ram before.

Ram should go 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 and your motherboard manual should definitely cover this.
  3. IIRC, the memory slots are color coded. TFor dual channel, the first pair of memory modules are installed in the orange slots.
  4. I always mount the proc,HSF & memory on the board before putting the board into the case, much easier to do all that where you can get at the board.
  5. I'm with the rest. Mount the cpu, heatsink, and ram before the mobo goes in the case. My fingers can get a bit cramped for lack of room when trying to mount stuff when the mobo's in the case first.
  6. I have heard of kids breaking their boards cause they screwed in the mobo first and then were trying to push the processor/heatsink/memory etc down on it too hard.

I usually install
    1) proc
    2) heatsink-fan and/or Memory

I also install the Graphics card or any other PCI cards....leave them in for a couple of hrs and then pull them out. makes it easier later when you're installing the cards. opens up the slots a bit. just my experience.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Cases Heatsinks CPUs Systems