Sign in with
Your question

cpu/heatsink on mobo before mounting in case

Last response: in Systems
August 22, 2006 10:00:52 PM

I was looking at the manual for the mobo I will be getting (Asus p5w dh) and it says to mount the mobo in the case, then set the cpu and heatsink. I have the scythe ninja and regardless of that I read here that the CPU and heatsink should be mounted on the mobo BEFORE mounting the mobo in the case.

Considering the size of the Ninja what order should I put everything together?

Also, regaring the memory chips. I have 2x1gb modules and the manual didn't say which slots they go in. Do they go in slots 1 and 2, or 1 and 3?

Thanks!!

Eddie
August 22, 2006 10:42:20 PM

It probably asks you to install the heatsink first because it has a mounting bracket attached to the back of the motherboard. You'd be hard pressed to get that thing on there after you've installed it.
August 22, 2006 10:47:12 PM

most ppl will mount the cpu and hsf before putting the motherboard in the case, also mount the ram before.

Ram should go 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 and your motherboard manual should definitely cover this.
Related resources
August 22, 2006 11:06:57 PM

IIRC, the memory slots are color coded. TFor dual channel, the first pair of memory modules are installed in the orange slots.
August 22, 2006 11:40:37 PM

I always mount the proc,HSF & memory on the board before putting the board into the case, much easier to do all that where you can get at the board.
August 22, 2006 11:51:24 PM

I'm with the rest. Mount the cpu, heatsink, and ram before the mobo goes in the case. My fingers can get a bit cramped for lack of room when trying to mount stuff when the mobo's in the case first.
August 24, 2006 4:28:15 PM

I have heard of kids breaking their boards cause they screwed in the mobo first and then were trying to push the processor/heatsink/memory etc down on it too hard.

I usually install
1) proc
2) heatsink-fan and/or Memory

I also install the Graphics card or any other PCI cards....leave them in for a couple of hrs and then pull them out. makes it easier later when you're installing the cards. opens up the slots a bit. just my experience.
!