reverse DNS lookup test failed

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi,

I have created a reverse DNS zone in my DNS server. I registered the server
IP but when I tried the IP through nslookup it did not find it. Thank you.

;
; Database file 128_26.241.98.165.in-addr.arpa.dns for
128/26.241.98.165.in-addr.arpa zone.
; Zone version: 2
;

@ IN SOA 27mayo.casadelperno.com.
admin.casadelperno.com. (
2 ; serial number
900 ; refresh
600 ; retry
86400 ; expire
3600 ) ; minimum TTL

;
; Zone NS records
;

@ NS 27mayo.casadelperno.com.

;
; Zone records
;

175 PTR 27mayo.casadelperno.com.

Frank

Frank <frank673@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have created a reverse DNS zone in my DNS server. I registered the
> server IP but when I tried the IP through nslookup it did not find
> it. Thank you.
>
> ;
> ; Database file 128_26.241.98.165.in-addr.arpa.dns for
> 128/26.241.98.165.in-addr.arpa zone.
> ; Zone version: 2
> ;
>
> @ IN SOA 27mayo.casadelperno.com.
> admin.casadelperno.com. (
> 2 ; serial number
> 900 ; refresh
> 600 ; retry
> 86400 ; expire
> 3600 ) ; minimum TTL
>
> ;
> ; Zone NS records
> ;
>
> @ NS 27mayo.casadelperno.com.
>
> ;
> ; Zone records
> ;
>
> 175 PTR 27mayo.casadelperno.com.

If this is the actual IP , it has not been delegated to you.
http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/ptr.ch?ip=165.98.241.26

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in message
> Frank <frank673@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have created a reverse DNS zone in my DNS server. I registered the
>> server IP but when I tried the IP through nslookup it did not find
>> it. Thank you.
>>
>> ;
>> ; Database file 128_26.241.98.165.in-addr.arpa.dns for
>> 128/26.241.98.165.in-addr.arpa zone.
>> ; Zone version: 2
>> ;
>>
>> @ IN SOA 27mayo.casadelperno.com.
>> admin.casadelperno.com. (
>> 2 ; serial number
>> 900 ; refresh
>> 600 ; retry
>> 86400 ; expire
>> 3600 ) ; minimum TTL
>>
>> ;
>> ; Zone NS records
>> ;
>>
>> @ NS 27mayo.casadelperno.com.
>>
>> ;
>> ; Zone records
>> ;
>>
>> 175 PTR 27mayo.casadelperno.com.
>
> If this is the actual IP , it has not been delegated to you.
> http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/ptr.ch?ip=165.98.241.26
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> ===================================
> ===================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> ===================================
> It will strip signature out and more
> ===================================
> with OEBackup:
> ===================================

Hi,

Its an actual IP. I am in connection with my Internet provider so they would
configure their servers to it, their support center is not so good. The
point is that I was trying to configure it on my server. I thought that
nslookup would look what I have on my DNS and this way I would know that at
least I have it right. The thing is that when I put "server 165.98.241.175"
and typed the same IP, but didn't get the result. On the other hand I
configured my local network IP 192.168.1.x and I can get the host name. Why
is it that I couldn't get it with the public IP?

Frank

Frank <frank673@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Its an actual IP. I am in connection with my Internet provider so
> they would configure their servers to it, their support center is not
> so good. The point is that I was trying to configure it on my server.
> I thought that nslookup would look what I have on my DNS and this way
> I would know that at least I have it right. The thing is that when I
> put "server 165.98.241.175" and typed the same IP, but didn't get the
> result. On the other hand I configured my local network IP
> 192.168.1.x and I can get the host name. Why is it that I couldn't
> get it with the public IP?

Because without the delegation it is a broken zone. When you do a lookup for
the PTR of 165.98.241.175, you are asking your DNS server to resolve
175.241.98.165.in-addr.arpa, which will be sent to the root or forwarded
because your zone is 128/26.241.98.165.in-addr.arpa. When your ISP delegates
it to you they will create a CName record that adds another octet like
175.126/26.241.98.165.in-addr.arpa. which will be delegated to your DNS
server, you will create a PTR with IP number 175 and the server name. Then
it will not be broken. OF course this all depends on whether your ISP uses
this method.
ISP's are just as likely to delegate it to your domain name, e.g
175.241.98.165.in-addr.domain.com. Actually in many circumstances this is a
better method because many DNS hosting services don't allow access the the
reverse lookup zones and it makes it to where the reverse lookup follows you
to wherever your domain name is hosted.