Sign in with
Your question

Moving a RAID0 to a new computer.

Last response: in Storage
August 22, 2006 11:49:48 PM

Background:
Currently running two Seagate 200GB drives in a RAID0 on a Silicon Image 3112 SATA chip attached to a Gigabyte GA-7NNXP motherboard, which has an Athlon XP 3000+ Barton installed.

My question being: What problems would I encounter by moving the intact array to an AM2 motherboard, being either an Asus Crosshair or a Gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5 which has the nForce 590-SLI SATA integrated? I'm wondering if there would be any problems recognizing the raid or possibly even damaging it.

More about : moving raid0 computer

August 24, 2006 9:27:41 PM

The RAID array is tied to the controller.

If you have a PCI/PCI-E controller, you are sorted.

If its on the motherboard, then unless you get a new mobo with the exact same controller, no way in hell.

Sorry :( 
August 24, 2006 10:26:05 PM

As darkstar said the RAID configuration depends on the controller: you can try but I personally only saw expensive U320 SCSI controllers correctly recognizing arrays built by other controllers.
Anyway you wont damage the array if you don't do any configuration: if the new controller doesn't recognize the array you can of course reconnect the drive to the old one and make a backup o transfer the files on another PC via LAN.
Related resources
August 24, 2006 10:52:18 PM

Check out SomeJoe777's sticky post.
a b G Storage
August 24, 2006 11:37:54 PM

Quote:
Background:
Currently running two Seagate 200GB drives in a RAID0 on a Silicon Image 3112 SATA chip attached to a Gigabyte GA-7NNXP motherboard, which has an Athlon XP 3000+ Barton installed.

My question being: What problems would I encounter by moving the intact array to an AM2 motherboard, being either an Asus Crosshair or a Gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5 which has the nForce 590-SLI SATA integrated? I'm wondering if there would be any problems recognizing the raid or possibly even damaging it.

I use a cheap PCI SATA RAID card that happens to use that same Silicon Image 3112 chipset. Perhaps you could purchase this card or another one like it to transfer your RAID 0. I don't know if BIOS revisions have any effect on the ability to transfer RAID, however, they might need to match also.

Since it's generally a "no-no" to slap a hard drive from one computer into another without reinstalling the OS anyway I would suggest you just back up what you can and start from scratch.

Link Depot PCI-SATA150 PCI SATA Controller Card RAID 0/1 - Retail $21.99
August 25, 2006 12:07:39 AM

Thanks for the replies, I will probably take that last route (getting a cheep card) to avoid buying more hard drives.

I would not be leaving the OS intact though, it would be a new installation altogether. Currently the OS sits on a 7 GB partition, with all programs and archived files on other partitions. I have formatted and reinstalled WinXP an excessive amount, due to my many experiments gone wrong, and did not want to deal with the possibility of randomly losing files. I find that a separate partition for the OS is nice; just install drivers and it’s good to go again after a reinstallation.
!