DNS failed at Win2k DC

My Win2k DC DNS failed, there are two errors being logged:

Event ID: 4015
Source: DNS
Directory. Check that the Active Directory is functioning properly. The
event data contains the error.

Event ID: 4004
Source: DNS
enumeration of zone 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa. This DNS server is configured to
use information obtained from Active Directory for this zone and is unable
to load the zone without it. Check that the Active Directory is functioning
properly and repeat enumeration of the zone. The event data contains the
error.

I check the AD on this server, it works properly. The DNS just said "Zone
not loaded by DNS Server", DNS MMC can't be opened. I tried to run dcpromo
to remove the AD from this DC, but the dcpromo can't be completed. It
prompted the DNS can't be contacted error. I'll be very appreciated for any
advice can be given for me to make the server DNS work properly again.
Thanks in advance first. Thank you!! :)

GY <yaugary@hotmail.com> wrote:
> My Win2k DC DNS failed, there are two errors being logged:
>
> Event ID: 4015
> Source: DNS
> Active Directory. Check that the Active Directory is functioning
> properly. The event data contains the error.
>
> Event ID: 4004
> Source: DNS
> enumeration of zone 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa. This DNS server is
> configured to use information obtained from Active Directory for this
> zone and is unable to load the zone without it. Check that the Active
> Directory is functioning properly and repeat enumeration of the zone.
> The event data contains the error.
>
> I check the AD on this server, it works properly. The DNS just said
> "Zone not loaded by DNS Server", DNS MMC can't be opened. I tried to
> run dcpromo to remove the AD from this DC, but the dcpromo can't be
> completed. It prompted the DNS can't be contacted error. I'll be very
> appreciated for any advice can be given for me to make the server DNS
> work properly again. Thanks in advance first. Thank you!! :)

Normally these event appear only at start up if you only have one DC.
Obviously, from your post you are getting these events continually after the
computer has started.
http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=4004&eventno=334&source=DNS&phase=1

Problems with Many Domain Controllers with Active Directory Integrated DNS
Zones
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;M267855

Are all AD zones affected?

Are you using ICS on this DC?

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Thanks. I only got one DC act like that. This DC doesn't has ICS on it.

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in message
> GY <yaugary@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> My Win2k DC DNS failed, there are two errors being logged:
>>
>> Event ID: 4015
>> Source: DNS
>> Active Directory. Check that the Active Directory is functioning
>> properly. The event data contains the error.
>>
>> Event ID: 4004
>> Source: DNS
>> enumeration of zone 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa. This DNS server is
>> configured to use information obtained from Active Directory for this
>> zone and is unable to load the zone without it. Check that the Active
>> Directory is functioning properly and repeat enumeration of the zone.
>> The event data contains the error.
>>
>> I check the AD on this server, it works properly. The DNS just said
>> "Zone not loaded by DNS Server", DNS MMC can't be opened. I tried to
>> run dcpromo to remove the AD from this DC, but the dcpromo can't be
>> completed. It prompted the DNS can't be contacted error. I'll be very
>> appreciated for any advice can be given for me to make the server DNS
>> work properly again. Thanks in advance first. Thank you!! :)
>
> Normally these event appear only at start up if you only have one DC.
> Obviously, from your post you are getting these events continually after
> the
> computer has started.
> http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=4004&eventno=334&source=DNS&phase=1
>
> Problems with Many Domain Controllers with Active Directory Integrated DNS
> Zones
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;M267855
>
> Are all AD zones affected?
>
> Are you using ICS on this DC?
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> ===================================
> ===================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> It will strip signature out and more
> with OEBackup:

GY <yaugary@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks. I only got one DC act like that. This DC doesn't has ICS on
> it.

You only have one DC?
Do these errors continue after the server has started?