Hi all,

I am a new system engineer in a small business and now facing a
problems which I dont know if it is related to the DNS...

I am now having a public domain (e.g. www.abc.com) pointing to our IIS
server (IP 10.0.1.2) using NAT in the router. Now, I want to add
another public domain to my IIS (e.g. www.xyz.com). What can I do on
my DNS. Any record should I need to add in the Zone area?

Thanks all.

Jerald

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/DNS-IIS-problem-ftopict412857.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1374098

Jeraldleung <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am a new system engineer in a small business and now facing a
> problems which I dont know if it is related to the DNS...
>
> I am now having a public domain (e.g. www.abc.com) pointing to our IIS
> server (IP 10.0.1.2) using NAT in the router. Now, I want to add
> another public domain to my IIS (e.g. www.xyz.com). What can I do on
> my DNS. Any record should I need to add in the Zone area?

Assuming the public xyz.com zone is hosted at an external DNS hosting
provider; and the www.xyz.com site is the only locally hosted service,
create a new Forward Lookup Zone named www.xyz.com, then in the zone create
a new host, leave the name field blank and give it the local IP of the web
server.
If you do this, only the www.xyz.com name will resolve internally, the rest
of the names in xyz.com will be forwarded to the external DNS.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

In news:3_1374098_215e7e35195070a4a8f920d3eaf7714f@windowsforumz.com,
Jeraldleung <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> made this post, which I then
commented about below:
> Hi all,
>
> I am a new system engineer in a small business and now facing a
> problems which I dont know if it is related to the DNS...
>
> I am now having a public domain (e.g. www.abc.com) pointing to our IIS
> server (IP 10.0.1.2) using NAT in the router. Now, I want to add
> another public domain to my IIS (e.g. www.xyz.com). What can I do on
> my DNS. Any record should I need to add in the Zone area?
>
> Thanks all.
>
> Jerald

One of the problems with NAT is it will only port re-map one external IP to
one internal IP. If you want to add this website to your current internal
webserver with a private IP, using "All Unassigned" in both website
properties, and are using hostheaders for the websites, then the IP for the
www record of both domain names need to only point to the external NAT IP.

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

=================================

"" wrote:
> In
> Jeraldleung <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> made this post,
> which I then
> commented about below:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am a new system engineer in a small business and now
> facing a
> > problems which I dont know if it is related to the DNS...
> >
> > I am now having a public domain (e.g. www.abc.com) pointing to our IIS
> > server (IP 10.0.1.2) using NAT in the router. Now, I want to
> add
> > another public domain to my IIS (e.g. www.xyz.com). What can I do on
> > my DNS. Any record should I need to add in the Zone area?
> >
> > Thanks all.
> >
> > Jerald
>
> One of the problems with NAT is it will only port re-map one
> external IP to
> one internal IP. If you want to add this website to your
> current internal
> webserver with a private IP, using "All Unassigned" in both
> website
> properties, and are using hostheaders for the websites, then
> the IP for the
> www record of both domain names need to only point to the
> external NAT IP.
>

> --
> Regards,
> Ace
>
> Please direct all replies ONLY to the Microsoft public
> newsgroups
> so all can benefit.
>
> This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or
> guarantees
> and confers no rights.
>
> Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSE+I, MCT,
> MVP
> Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
> Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations.
> =================================

Thanks for your answer.

I have solve this problem by using 2 External Public IP and 2 Internal
Private IP at the same PC through NAT in the Firewall.

Thanks!!

Jerald Leung

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/DNS-IIS-problem-ftopict412857.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1379400

Jeraldleung <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote:
> I have solve this problem by using 2 External Public IP and 2 Internal
> Private IP at the same PC through NAT in the Firewall.

Most routers don't support multiple IPs, what model is your router?

FYI, The router in Win2k/Win2k3 RRAS supports mapping/reserving multiple
public IPs to multiple internal IPs.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

In news:%23gaEgRCrFHA.1168@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP] <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> made this post, which I
then commented about below:
> Jeraldleung <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote:
>> I have solve this problem by using 2 External Public IP and 2
>> Internal Private IP at the same PC through NAT in the Firewall.
>
> Most routers don't support multiple IPs, what model is your router?
>
> FYI, The router in Win2k/Win2k3 RRAS supports mapping/reserving
> multiple public IPs to multiple internal IPs.

I'm curious of the router model as well.

Ace

"" wrote:
> In news:%23gaEgRCrFHA.1168@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
> Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP] <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> made this
> post, which I
> then commented about below:
> > Jeraldleung <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote:
> >> I have solve this problem by using 2 External Public IP and
> 2
> >> Internal Private IP at the same PC through NAT in the
> Firewall.
> >
> > Most routers don't support multiple IPs, what model is your
> router?
> >
> > FYI, The router in Win2k/Win2k3 RRAS supports
> mapping/reserving
> > multiple public IPs to multiple internal IPs.
>
> I'm curious of the router model as well.
>
> Ace

This is a router provided by the ISP and I dont exactly know what’s
the answer. Actually, I need to call the ISP to configure the NAT
mapping for me.

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1381810

In news:3_1381810_34833148fff4a191a2662d8ab417c740@windowsforumz.com,
Jeraldleung <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> made this post, which I then
commented about below:
> This is a router provided by the ISP and I dont exactly know whatâ?Ts
> the answer. Actually, I need to call the ISP to configure the NAT
> mapping for me.
>
> Jerald

Let us know how you make out.

Ace