Help with BayStack 450-24T

Hi, I need to reset the password on a BayStack 450-24T - the original
password has been lost/forgotten. I believe that there is a reset
possibility by using some hash on the mac address. Can anybody give me any
pointers please.

Please reply to the group and cc to
geoff (at) palaemon.this_to_be_removed.co.uk

Thanks
--
Young Geoff
5 answers Last reply

    In article <Xns9595DEDFA954Egeoffmailnews@158.152.254.254>,
    Geoff <geoff@palaemon.this_to_be_removed.co.uk> wrote:
    :Hi, I need to reset the password on a BayStack 450-24T - the original
    :password has been lost/forgotten. I believe that there is a reset
    :possibility by using some hash on the mac address. Can anybody give me any
    :pointers please.

    The hash algorithm is not public knowledge, so I don't know of anyone
    other than Nortel who can supply the backdoor password.

    On the other hand, someone suggested the other day that if you
    connect up the console and interrupt it when booting, that you
    could use the 'i' (initialize configuration) rom command to clear
    the configuration.

    I don't recall ever having seen that rom menu, but I wasn't looking
    for it before. I did, though, encounter that rom menu last night
    on a Baystack 5510. You could experiment on the 450; menus like
    that are usually invoked by sending a BREAK signal within a few seconds
    of powerup. (Note: BREAK doesn't work in most versions of Hyperterm,
    so use most any other terminal program such as Kermit.)
    --
    "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics."
    -- not Twain, perhaps Disraeli, first quoted by Leonard Courtney

    roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) wrote in

    > In article <Xns9595DEDFA954Egeoffmailnews@158.152.254.254>,
    > Geoff <geoff@palaemon.this_to_be_removed.co.uk> wrote:
    >:Hi, I need to reset the password on a BayStack 450-24T - the original
    >:password has been lost/forgotten. I believe that there is a reset
    >:possibility by using some hash on the mac address. Can anybody give me
    >:any pointers please.
    >
    > The hash algorithm is not public knowledge, so I don't know of anyone
    > other than Nortel who can supply the backdoor password.
    >
    > On the other hand, someone suggested the other day that if you
    > connect up the console and interrupt it when booting, that you
    > could use the 'i' (initialize configuration) rom command to clear
    > the configuration.
    >
    > I don't recall ever having seen that rom menu, but I wasn't looking
    > for it before. I did, though, encounter that rom menu last night
    > on a Baystack 5510. You could experiment on the 450; menus like
    > that are usually invoked by sending a BREAK signal within a few
    > seconds of powerup. (Note: BREAK doesn't work in most versions of
    > Hyperterm, so use most any other terminal program such as Kermit.)

    Thanks Walter, I'll give that a try tomorrow and report back. I'll use a
    Wyse 85 BTW.

    --
    Young Geoff

    The only way to reset the 450's it to connnect open switch to the one you
    need reset, by cascade cables, and restet all.

    It works, I did it.

    If you have any quastions let me know.

    -------------------------------------
    Geoff wrote:

    > Hi, I need to reset the password on a BayStack 450-24T - the original
    > password has been lost/forgotten. I believe that there is a reset
    > possibility by using some hash on the mac address. Can anybody give me
    > any
    > pointers please.

    > Please reply to the group and cc to
    > geoff (at) palaemon.this_to_be_removed.co.uk

    > Thanks

    http://www.cabling-design.com/forums
    comp.dcom.lans.ethernet - 2523 messages and counting!

    In article <3cT9e.5058748$Zm5.784851@news.easynews.com>,
    usedpc4u <usedpc4u_at_hotmail_dot_com@foo.com> wrote:
    :The only way to reset the 450's it to connnect open switch to the one you
    :need reset, by cascade cables, and restet all.

    There is also a backdoor password, but it is tied to the MAC,
    and the algorithm is not publically known. Nortel will only release
    the password if you have a support contract, according to people who
    have tried.
    --
    "Who Leads?" / "The men who must... driven men, compelled men."
    "Freak men."

    Macfreak

    "I hate stupid people who charge money for trivial stuff"

Ethernet Card Mac Address Networking