Help wanted: Suddenly gone very slow in displaying folder ..

XP Pro + SP2 and all critical updates to date, TweakUI, McAfee Pro
version 7 & MacAfee Firewall version 4

Just lately for no apparent reason, when I select a folder instead of it
coming up almost instantly with the contents, I get the flashlight doing
it's 'searching bit' for about 20 seconds before the contents of the
folder are displayed. Can anyone please help? Whether it's a
coincidence or not, this has only happened since installing SP2.

Can anyone please help?

--
Regards
Terry Birch

    Terry Birch wrote:
    > XP Pro + SP2 and all critical updates to date, TweakUI, McAfee Pro
    > version 7 & MacAfee Firewall version 4
    >
    > Just lately for no apparent reason, when I select a folder instead of
    > it coming up almost instantly with the contents, I get the flashlight
    > doing it's 'searching bit' for about 20 seconds before the contents
    > of the folder are displayed. Can anyone please help? Whether it's a
    > coincidence or not, this has only happened since installing SP2.
    >
    > Can anyone please help?

    Any folders or just some?
    If just some folders, what type of files are in the folders?
    When was the last time you scanned for spyware/adware/malware?
    When was the last time you went through Add/Remove Programs (Control Panel)
    and cleaned house?
    When was the last time you ran Disk Cleanup?
    When was the last time you CHKDSK'd and then DEFRAGMENTED?

    --
    <- Shenan ->

Windows XP