Hi all,

When I try to send email to some of the site outside (e.g.
abc@abc.com). I got a undelivery message with the following error.

"Helo command rejected: need fully-qualified hostname"

Is it the problems of my DNS setting?

I just hold a private DNS but not a public one.

Thanks all,

Regards,
Jerald

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/DNS-Email-Problem-ftopict413164.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1375332

Jeraldleung <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> When I try to send email to some of the site outside (e.g.
> abc@abc.com). I got a undelivery message with the following error.
>
> "Helo command rejected: need fully-qualified hostname"
>
> Is it the problems of my DNS setting?
>
> I just hold a private DNS but not a public one.

You need to fix the SMTP server's HELO name to match the FQDN of the mail
server in the MX record.
You don't mention the SMTP server you are using, you'll need to check the
documentation for the mail server to fix its HELO name.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

"" wrote:
> Jeraldleung <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > When I try to send email to some of the site outside (e.g.
> > abc@abc.com). I got a undelivery message with the following error.
> >
> > "Helo command rejected: need fully-qualified hostname"
> >
> > Is it the problems of my DNS setting?
> >
> > I just hold a private DNS but not a public one.
>
> You need to fix the SMTP server's HELO name to match the FQDN
> of the mail
> server in the MX record.
> You don't mention the SMTP server you are using, you'll need
> to check the
> documentation for the mail server to fix its HELO name.
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> ===================================
> ===================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> ===================================
> It will strip signature out and more
> ===================================
> with OEBackup:
> ===================================

Thanks, Kevin!

I am using Windows Server 2000 with Merak Mail Server 7.0 .

Here’s what I saw in my DNS Forward Zone.

(same as parenet folder) - Mail Exhange - [10] mydomain.com.hk
mail - Alias - mydomain.com.hk
www - Alias - mail.mydomain.com.hk

and nothing in the Reverse Lookup Zone.

Thanks,

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1377010

Jeraldleung <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote:

> I am using Windows Server 2000 with Merak Mail Server 7.0 .
>
> Here’s what I saw in my DNS Forward Zone.
>
> (same as parenet folder) - Mail Exhange - [10] mydomain.com.hk
> mail - Alias - mydomain.com.hk
> www - Alias - mail.mydomain.com.hk
>
> and nothing in the Reverse Lookup Zone.

I'm not familiar with this mail server, but some where in the Adminstration
interface you will find a way to configure the HELO/EHLO name, it should
match the MX, which is mydomain.com.hk.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]