navyseal2101

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
I just bought 10 80mm fans. I was thinking about cutting the top off my case and making a fan ceiling, but idk. I also tried to pile 5 up and see if it makes a super fan but it didnt really. What to do with 10 case fans? Is a blowhole on ceiling plus all around sides good or a ceiling of fans? Any of your own ideas?

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Shite. 10 80mm fans? What, do you want it sound like a 747 taking off? lol, I'm just messing with you, but that is a load of fans.

Put one in the front, intake. One in the back, exhaust. Intake on side. Exhaust on the roof/top.

~Ibrahim~

nikolokolus

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
holy balls! you've got enough fans to build a hovercraft there! :wink:

I guess if you're really set on firing up the dremel you could cut two blowholes on the top, mount two as intake on the front, put two on the back as exhaust, cut one as intake on the side panel over the CPU (to blow outside air directly on the HSF), cut a hole in the panel over the RAM slots for intake. cut two holes in the side panel over the video card as two exhaust.

That's ten . . . or you could "skimp" a little and remove the housing from one, glue the fan to a stick and have a nifty DC powered pinwheel.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
It greatly disappoints me to hear the "super-fan" idea lacked the awesome-ness it possibly could have achieved.

I would just use two in the front for intake, two exhaust in the back, one exhaust on top, and one intake over the cpu. Save the others for later, or for another episode of super-fan creation.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
I also tried to pile 5 up and see if it makes a super fan but it didnt really.

The key is to differentially overclock the fans, increasing clock towards the exit of the array. This is most easily achieved by driving the fans with a good quality RAID controller - with 5 fans, select RAID5 in the BIOS and be sure to get a power supply with plenty of headroom. Oh, and also be sure to set your CPU multiplier to 5 because you wouldn't want to run your fans asyncherroniously.

mikeyg83

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006

The key is to differentially overclock the fans, increasing clock towards the exit of the array. This is most easily achieved by driving the fans with a good quality RAID controller - with 5 fans, select RAID5 in the BIOS and be sure to get a power supply with plenty of headroom. Oh, and also be sure to set your CPU multiplier to 5 because you wouldn't want to run your fans asyncherroniously.

would that really work?? please elaborate if you could on how that would work correctly :?

bigsby

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006

would that really work?? please elaborate if you could on how that would work correctly :?

You win the dumbass award. Permanently. Wait, no Baron has that award forever.

He was joking really really badly. You can't hook up fans to a RAID controller, which is used for hard drives. Fans also have nothing to do with the cpu clock speed, except for the fact that the higher it is, the more fans you need, and the faster they need to be. As for overclocking fans, you can't really call it that, but if you overvolt them, they go faster.

But seriously, you fail at life.

But please don't take that personally, you just fell for a really bad joke.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
But please don't take that personally, you just fell for a really bad joke.

I thought it was a pretty good bad joke. I mean, many people misunderstand RAID5 even when it's not supposed to be a joke. Besides, if I was a fan blowing cool air over a shiny new 6900, I'd want to be overclocked too.

navyseal2101

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
Ok, thanks for the ideas. I think ill try 2 blowhole fans, 1 next to gpu, i have Arctic Cooling Pro 64 so none over cpu, i already have a 120mm outward case fan so the others will be for me to figure out the super-fan. Oh, and do case fans spin the same speed? They are all exactly same model. B/c i may have some spuer-fan ideas if they do.