Can't see anything beyond the local machine

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
August 28, 2005 10:21:53 PM

If I attempt to do anything regarding security on any shares, I don't
see anything in the domain, just users on the local machine. I have
looked at my DNS server to no end and can find nothing wrong. All the
clients point to it as the primary. I am also getting the following on
all clients:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: NETLOGON
Event Category: None
Event ID: 5719
Date: 8/26/2005
Time: 12:03:17 PM
User: N/A
Computer: TERMINATOR
No Domain Controller is available for domain MY_DOMAIN due to the
following:
There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon
request. .
Make sure that the computer is connected to the network and try again.
If the problem persists, please contact your domain administrator.

Data:
0000: 5e 00 00 c0 ^..À

Is my problem possibly that I used an underscore in my domain name? It
is literally "MY_DOMAIN". I can ping the DNS/DC/DHCP server by name
and IP number, but not as name.domain.com.

-Jim

More about : local machine

Anonymous
August 29, 2005 4:57:12 AM

jtpryan@gmail.com wrote:
> If I attempt to do anything regarding security on any shares, I don't
> see anything in the domain, just users on the local machine. I have
> looked at my DNS server to no end and can find nothing wrong. All the
> clients point to it as the primary. I am also getting the following
> on all clients:
>
> Event Type: Error
> Event Source: NETLOGON
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 5719
> Date: 8/26/2005
> Time: 12:03:17 PM
> User: N/A
> Computer: TERMINATOR
> No Domain Controller is available for domain MY_DOMAIN due to the
> following:
> There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon
> request. .
> Make sure that the computer is connected to the network and try again.
> If the problem persists, please contact your domain administrator.

> Data:
> 0000: 5e 00 00 c0 ^..À
>

> Is my problem possibly that I used an underscore in my domain name? It
> is literally "MY_DOMAIN". I can ping the DNS/DC/DHCP server by name
> and IP number, but not as name.domain.com.
>
> -Jim

The underscore is one problem, the other is MY_DOMAIN is a single label
domain name.
300684 - Information About Configuring Windows 2000 for Domains with
Single-Label DNS Names
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300684&sd=RMVP

I really suggest getting rid of the single-label domain name, by demoting
and repromoting, building a new DC with a DNS compatable domain name then
use ADMT to migrate the accounts, or if Win2k3, rename the domain.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Kevin.

Thank you. What exactly is a "DNS compatable domain name"? How should
I have named it? I don't want to have to do this more then once, so I
want to clarify everything up front. Am I going to lose all the
profile settings for the individual users?

-Jim
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 5:55:58 PM

jtpryan@gmail.com wrote:
> Kevin.
>
> Thank you. What exactly is a "DNS compatable domain name"? How
> should I have named it? I don't want to have to do this more then
> once, so I want to clarify everything up front. Am I going to lose
> all the profile settings for the individual users?

A DNS compatable name would have been my.domain, mydomain.com or
mydomain.local. It's the "." in the name that makes it compatable with DNS.
While the underscore in the name is not an RFC compliant character and will
cause some DNS servers to not be able to resolve the name, it is not the
main culprit here, you would have been better to replace the Underscore with
a dot.