Program fails - Failure analysis off base

I use a program called HTML Calendar Maker Pro 3.8.7. Each month then I go to
use the program it must be reinstalled. The Microsoft's Online Crash
Analysis. Indicates: An Update Is Available

Thank you for submitting an error report.

At this time, a solution is not available for the error you submitted. A
newer version of Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 is available. The new version may
not fix the error you reported, but Microsoft recommends that you install it
for increased reliability. To learn more about the update, click on the link
below.

I don't do any programming (havent't since 1965) and know nothing of Visual
Basic. I downloaded VB before posting this question. What is the problem
here? Online Analysis goofed. Can there truly be some compilation taking
place on opening the program?
--
Chuck Davis
Publisher/Editor

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 08:05:01 -0700, Chuck Davis wrote:

> I don't do any programming (havent't since 1965) and know nothing of Visual
> Basic. I downloaded VB before posting this question. What is the problem
> here? Online Analysis goofed. Can there truly be some compilation taking
> place on opening the program?

I don't know how specific the download instructions were but usually for
this kind of thing, all you need is the "light" download that includes the
runtime library. Having the latest runtimes installed is a good thing.
Many programs will use these files so the effort to get them installed is
not wasted if it does not help with the calendar program.

OCA is suggesting that the program uses the vb runtime library to operate.
The calendar may be presented in an html format but there could be
controls/user settings that are vb. Also the program error being sent in is
of a runtime nature and that's why you get this recommendation.

It's not clear to me from what you wrote if the "Update available" portion
of OCA's report was referring to a program update or the vb update. May
want to check to see what's available for the application as well.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User