Sign in with
Your question

Sapphire 1800XT question..

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 23, 2006 3:19:20 AM

Hi guys i have a quick question about this card..I just installed a 1800xt on my comp and it is showing clear lines throught it somtimes..on boot up the color is like a pink color and takes up hafe the screen..it also happens when i play prey.It seems to be ok in windows though...I dont really no what it could be..My comp setup is a M2N-E MOB..1 GIG of Cas 4 xms mem..a x2 3800 CPU..Antec 500 smartpower.Is it because the MOB Nvidia Drivers?Or is this a bad card?maybe i dont have good conection?Thanks for you help..
August 23, 2006 4:20:42 AM

Do you have the lastest ATi (not your manufacturer) drivers installed ?

What's the average temp of the card while playing Prey ?

Sounds like an artifact issue.
August 23, 2006 4:27:48 AM

No i havent..Im downloading 6.8 right now from ati..I have question I have XP PRO and i have noticed a 6.8 for 64 bit only..Does XP Pro come in 32 bit and 64 bit or only 64?
Related resources
August 23, 2006 4:30:11 AM

Windows XP Pro comes in 32-bit and 64-bit flavors (2 Different Operating Systems)

If your Windows box doesn't say anything about being 64-bit then it's probably 32-bit (Nothing wrong with that !).

Just make sure you download the drivers for YOUR version of Windows.
August 23, 2006 4:32:34 AM

Ok thanks alot..what should i do if the new driver doesnt fix the problem?is the card bad?
August 23, 2006 4:58:33 AM

Unistall your current drivers, restart the PC if asked to, then install the new drivers and restart.

Try playing Prey, if you see funny things again the video card is probably bad. Check what the card's temp while playing.
August 23, 2006 5:04:50 AM

ok i just installed the newest driver and i still see lines that will flicker for a seconed or two then disapear on boot up until i am in windows..they dont stay its just like i can see them for a second then they are gone.could memory cause this?as i only have 1gig..Im going to try out prey one more time and see if it is any better.
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2006 5:13:42 AM

Quote:
ok i just installed the newest driver and i still see lines that will flicker for a seconed or two then disapear on boot up until i am in windows..they dont stay its just like i can see them for a second then they are gone.could memory cause this?as i only have 1gig..Im going to try out prey one more time and see if it is any better.

Memory could cause the problem. Suggust you try one stick of RAM in number one. Then the other stick if the first single stick fails.
August 23, 2006 5:18:18 AM

Ok i still see the clear lines when i play Prey..its only when i move around though..Im going to try the mem thing now and let you know what it does..
August 23, 2006 5:37:28 AM

Ok same thing..I tried both sticks of mem by them selves and both have the same thing..Should i try and switch the monitor ports since there are two?Do you thing the card isnt in all the way?it seems pretty snug.
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2006 5:42:48 AM

Quote:
Ok same thing..I tried both sticks of mem by them selves and both have the same thing..Should i try and switch the monitor ports since there are two?Do you thing the card isnt in all the way?it seems pretty snug.

I have a Sapphire x1800xt 256mb card. I have ATI tool installed, but I use the Catalyst Control center to tweak the card. If you have overclocked the card try going in to CCC and set the defaults. I have not experienced any problem like you describe with my card. My son's friend played Counterstrike for two days solid right after I installed it. Nothing like what you describe. You do have the 6 pin power cord plugged into the card right? What kind of Power supply do you have? Do you know the cards temps? Yeah, you might try the other plug in on you monitor especially if it's the older type for an AGP type card. You will need an adapter.
August 23, 2006 5:49:04 AM

Ok i switched and the same thing...I have the card pluged up to the PSU then the DVD..how do i moniter the temps on the video card?I have not overclocked this card just put it in and installed the drivers..So you guys dont think the Nvidia chipset on the MOB will cas this since this is a Ati based Video card?
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2006 5:53:16 AM

Quote:
Ok i switched and the same thing...I have the card pluged up to the PSU then the DVD..how do i moniter the temps on the video card?I have not overclocked this card just put it in and installed the drivers..So you guys dont think the Nvidia chipset on the MOB will cas this since this is a Ati based Video card?

Do not plug it into the DVD? Just run the 6 pin power supply line into the card. Here is the download for ATI tool. I just googled this, so I hope it is the latest version :D  At least find out your temp with it. Nvidia chipset work fine with an ATI video card.

http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/downloads.php
August 23, 2006 6:01:35 AM

Im using the conector they sent with the card..So i need to run the power straight to the card only and no other devices can be connected to the power?Thats what it says to do in the manual but i guess i will try what you suggest..another thing i just noticed the memory clock is at 693mhz is this normal?i thought it was suppose to be at 1500..
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2006 6:05:20 AM

Quote:
Im using the conector they sent with the card..So i need to run the power straight to the card only and no other devices can be connected to the power?Thats what it says to do in the manual but i guess i will try what you suggest..

Yeah, the card draws a lot of power. Try and run a direct line to it. What PSU do you have? If you have an insufficient Power Supply you might try unhooking things like case fans, lights , CD RW, etc and run a straight line to the card.. I think ATI/Sapphire suggests a 400 or 450 watt power supply minimun for that card. I have a 550w sli ready dual 12v rail running mine.
August 23, 2006 6:15:04 AM

ok i ran the direct pcie line that came with my psu and samr thing..My psu is a Antec Smartpower 500w
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2006 6:18:13 AM

Your memory clock is 693 x 2 or about 1400 mhz. This is normal. If you use Catalyst control center and make adjustments with the driver software the memory will go to 750 x 2 the card's rated 1500 mhz. Don't worry about that right now. You most likely have a power issue causing your card to crash when you put it under stress playing a game.
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2006 6:28:40 AM

Quote:
ok i ran the direct pcie line that came with my psu and samr thing..My psu is a Antec Smartpower 500w

I would install it in another computer and see if it had the same symptoms. I know that's not always possible. Hopefully someone with a better idea will have the solution soon :) 
August 23, 2006 6:31:35 AM

Well should it still have this problem on boot up?Thats when i see the lines the most and they are clear or redish in color..another thing is every time i click on the ati catalist to open it there are redlines that part from the middle to bottom and top of the monitor for a sec and covers the whole screen like a wave.I got ati tool now what do i do withy it i cant find the card temp..
August 23, 2006 6:44:12 AM

when i was looking at the settings in the Ati tool this is what it states..

Catalist version 5.5+
Device ID 0000
Chip type 0x0
Memory size 256 MB
Me Bus width 64 Bit
Active piplines 8
Default GPU CLock 0.00Mhz
Default Mem clock 348.93

Does this look right to you?I also just tried that Scan for artifacts and a yellow screen came up and kep flashing what looked like thumb prints on the right and lefts side of the screen is this normal?
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2006 6:45:22 AM

Quote:
Well should it still have this problem on boot up?Thats when i see the lines the most and they are clear or redish in color..another thing is every time i click on the ati catalist to open it there are redlines that part from the middle to bottom and top of the monitor for a sec and covers the whole screen like a wave.I got ati tool now what do i do withy it i cant find the card temp..

What kind of monitor do you have? from ATI Tool open system tray monitoring>hardware monitoring. Check GPU temperature.

Your PSU doesnt provide a 6 pin power plug for your card and it sounds like your monitor may be a bit dated to. Try to set the refresh rate to 60mhz. if it is higher currently. Your problem could very well be PSU and monitor related. The solution is to install the cdard in a second system and see if the problems are still there.
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2006 6:46:55 AM

Quote:
when i was looking at the settings in the Ati tool this is what it states..

Catalist version 5.5+
Device ID 0000
Chip type 0x0
Memory size 256 MB
Me Bus width 64 Bit
Active piplines 8
Default GPU CLock 0.00Mhz
Default Mem clock 348.93

Does this look right to you?I also just tried that Scan for artifacts and a yellow screen came up and kep flashing what looked like thumb prints on the right and lefts side of the screen is this normal?

Try installing the latest drivers from here: Version 6.8. Looks like you may have the wrong driver.

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=...
August 23, 2006 6:55:28 AM

Thats the drive i downloaded..The catalist control center packag 34.7..My monitor is a dell flat screen..I figued out what was wrong with the artifacts test the alternate pixle shader was enabled now i see a cube and it states there are no errors so far.The ati tool I got is version 0.24 is this the latest version?I cant seem to find what you are talking about..by the way thanks for all your help:) 
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2006 7:02:25 AM

Quote:
Thats the drive i downloaded..The catalist control center packag 34.7..My monitor is a dell flat screen..I figued out what was wrong with the artifacts test the alternate pixle shader was enabled now i see a cube and it states there are no errors so far.The ati tool I got is version 0.24 is this the latest version?I cant seem to find what you are talking about..by the way thanks for all your help:) 

OPen ATI Tool then open system tray monitoring>hardware monitoring. Check GPU temperature This should put the GPU temp on you lower rightdesktop toolbar. I don't which version I have :D 

Quote:
I figued out what was wrong with the artifacts test the alternate pixle shader was enabled now i see a cube and it states there are no errors so far.

Whatever your doing...sounds promising! :D 
August 23, 2006 7:02:59 AM

I just relized i forgot to download the Microsoft.net framwork wich it states its required..this is the prob huh?
August 23, 2006 7:07:14 AM

when i open the ati tool i cant find the system tray hardware...Is it under properties or settings because thats all there is to look at other than some tests..
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2006 7:07:35 AM

Quote:
I just relized i forgot to download the Microsoft.net framwork wich it states its required..this is the prob huh?

Yeah, I'm surprised you can access Catalyst Control Center without Net Framework 2. You may have to uninstall any old version or corrupted version of net framework before you can install a new copy.
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2006 7:09:33 AM

Quote:
when i open the ati tool i cant find the system tray hardware...Is it under properties or settings because thats all there is to look at other than some tests..

I may have a different version of ATI Tool than you. You need to find 'hardware monitor' and check GPU monitoring. That should show the GPU temperature in you lower right hand task bar.
August 23, 2006 7:16:27 AM

I think you do because there is nothing like that..Where should i get this program at?I went to the link you provided but this version seemed to be the newest..
August 23, 2006 7:22:39 AM

Ok i had the wrong one i need ati tray tools 1.05..im Dloading it now..
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2006 7:25:46 AM

Quote:
I think you do because there is nothing like that..Where should i get this program at?I went to the link you provided but this version seemed to be the newest..

You might google it. BTW. You would have to have Net Framework 2 installed in order to install the 6.8 Catalyst drivers. It is possible GPU temperature could cause a problem, but it is more likely a power supply issue or a software issue. I suggest you list your complete specs here and hope someone may be able to pinpoint the problem. Of cousre the card could be bad. Myself...I would have alreadsy had the card installed in other computers and tested it there. If you bought it from Newegg and retuyrn it be sue and call them and tell them you tried everything and the card just plain and simple is defective and you should not have to pay a restocking fee. :D 
August 23, 2006 7:28:40 AM

Ok GPU is at 55 and the enviroment is at 46 i dont have another computer to test on :(  should i try and reinstall the catalist again since i i just reinstalled the .net framwork..I think it was corupted because i tried to repair fist ant it found a error..so i just uninstalled and reinstalled..
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2006 7:29:03 AM

Quote:
Ok i had the wrong one i need ati tray tools 1.05..im Dloading it now..

I'm not at my system with the x1800xt and ATI tools installed. I'm at the rig in my signature. Have any good questions about SLI? :lol: 
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2006 7:31:59 AM

Quote:
Ok GPU is at 55 and the enviroment is at 46

Yeah, so temps are not causing your problem. Sheeesh. A different power supply or a different system altogether to instal;l it in would tell you much. That's how I solve my problems and kepp 15 computers running. Hell, I keep the whole neighborhood's computers running! 8O

I'll tell you one thing. If that card gave me as much trouble as it has given you, I'd get shed of it. Like RMA it if it won't cooperate. Get something that works.
August 23, 2006 7:38:03 AM

Should i dload the latest chipset drivers for the MOB?Im kinda iffy about the MOB it has so many problems with the BIOS..Its the ASUS M2N-E..maybe thats my problem because this board is just horrable..everyone is waiting for a good bios update..I just hope they come through i really dont fell like ripping the comp apart.
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2006 7:43:52 AM

Quote:
Should i dload the latest chipset drivers for the MOB?Im kinda iffy about the MOB it has so many problems with the BIOS..Its the ASUS M2N-E..maybe thats my problem because this board is just horrable..everyone is waiting for a good bios update..I just hope they come through i really dont fell like ripping the comp apart.

Your board was running your previous video card just fine right? I don't know, the BIOS has a default setting that should run that card just fine.

So, the card never ran right from the first time you fired it up out of the box? That means something is wrong on your end or Sapphire hired a chimpanzee ot test it. Really, if you have worked that hard trying to make it work, that's a bunch of junk. Just RMA it to the seller. You do have a receipt? :D  Now your scaring me. I hope mine don't start acting up.
August 23, 2006 7:48:46 AM

I just got it today from newegg..I guess its a faulty card?Im not sure but this is not right thats for sure..I should have got the EVGA..but i always hear good and bad about vid cards so I dunno what to buy..MY old card ran fine but it was only a pci card fx5500 lol you know the 3d Fuzions cards..it was pretty good just cant keep up any more..
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2006 8:21:04 AM

Quote:
I just got it today from newegg..I guess its a faulty card?Im not sure but this is not right thats for sure..I should have got the EVGA..but i always hear good and bad about vid cards so I dunno what to buy..MY old card ran fine but it was only a pci card fx5500 lol you know the 3d Fuzions cards..it was pretty good just cant keep up any more..

You should post your complete specs here and maybe somebody will have some ideas by tomorrow. Newegg is good about returns. I would call them and explain the card is defective and you want to return it for a refund without having to pay a restocking fee. You might find a more powerful card may not run on a system you have been running a FX5500 on. An 1800xt draws a lot more power than that fx5500. My Sapphire 1800xt 256 megabye runs just super to this point. Good buy for $229. Evga sells the 7900GT for slightly more on Newegg. I have four EVGA cards. Two 7600GT's in SLI and two 7800GT's on this. Have a x800gto and a 9600xt and a 9200, all ati's. Then I have a 6600GT and a 5950 Ultra a 5200fx and several assorted others. Hell I about got 'em all :D 
August 23, 2006 8:33:01 AM

ok here is my complete specs..I just built this thing so i was hoping for a better system than my previous one..

2 120mm Fans
AMD Athalon 64 X2 3800 AM2 Socket
ASUS M2N-E MotherBoard
Corsair XMS DDR2 800 Cas 4 1 gig
Antec Smart Power 500 w
Samsung 300 gig sata 3.0 Hard Drive
Basic Dvd and Floppy drive from my old system
Dell Flat Screen Monitor
WINXP PRO 32 bit
August 23, 2006 4:15:55 PM

I built a similar system last month for a friend.

ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 Motherboard
AMD Athlon64 3800+, 2.4GHz
2GB XMS2 Corsair 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2-800 (PC6400), C5
ATI X1800XT 512MB Video Card
Antec TruePower 2.0 550W

His X1800XT had no problems upon installation. My former ATI 9800 Pro had issues like you described. Red/Green lines running through the screen and in games, textures appearing distorted, artifacting, etc.
I RMA'd my card with ATI and they sent me a brand new one.

You should do the same.

Edit - you would need to contact Sapphire
http://www.sapphiretech.com/
August 23, 2006 4:31:31 PM

Ya Im thinking about it..That setup is pretty close to mine..I should have got the truepower2 and 2 gig..I think it might be because of the mem and psu but im not sure...when i played Fear Multiplayer it seemed ok with no lines or anything..it was kinda choppy here and there though..I also tried Age Of Empires 3 with no problems..it plays on highest settings with no problems so i dunno what is going on..
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2006 5:01:06 PM

Quote:
here is a link to the PSU i bought

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

Your PSU:

+3.3V@32A, +5V@35A, +12V1@17A, +12V2@19A, -12V@0.3A, +5VSB@2A

This is sufficient power to run your system and the video card as long as the PSU is functioning properly. ATI suggests a 400w minimum. Maybe Arby's advice is right. I have my 1800xt running on the following system with 500w 19/19 amp xInfinity PSU. No problem like you are describing:

Pentium D 805 Smithfield @3.4
ASUS P5DLM2-VM Micro G945
OCZ PC5400 DDR2 667 mhz. 512 x 4
Sapphire ATI x1800xt
WD 74 Raptor w/2 40mm HD cooler
Sony DVD ROM
Pioneer DVD RW
Aspire X-Qpack micro case
Coolermaster Hyper 3 HSF
Floppy
Antec led 120mm exhaust fan
Antec cyclone blower
Antec video card slot cooler
Logitec 2.1 desktop speakers
Ultra xInfinity SLI 500w PSU (yes in a micro case)
August 23, 2006 5:57:45 PM

Well i just called Sapphire and the stated it is definitly a bad card and to rma it..Should i just exchange for the same one or should i try a differant brand?
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2006 6:11:06 PM

Quote:
Well i just called Sapphire and the stated it is definitly a bad card and to rma it..Should i just exchange for the same one or should i try a differant brand?

So you should call Newegg and tell them what Sapphire said and ask the restocking fee be waived. Well, that's up to you. The 7900GT is comparable to the x1800xt. You can go that route. Then you will have to delete all the ATI drivers and load up new Nvidia drivers :D 

The 1800xt and 79oogt are about equal. I have had good luck with my EVGA cards. XFX tends offer overclocked cards. I had an XFX 6800GT burn out on me after 7 months. XFX offered an RMA, but Newegg allowed me to return the card after 7 months for a FULL refund!
August 23, 2006 7:18:53 PM

Ok got the go for a return with no fees :) ..I didnt even have to ask for it..Now what are the chances of me getting another defective card..I didnt get the retail i got the oem version so i hope there is no diferance other than a box..
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2006 7:29:34 PM

Quote:
Ok got the go for a return with no fees :) ..I didnt even have to ask for it..Now what are the chances of me getting another defective card..I didnt get the retail i got the oem version so i hope there is no diferance other than a box..

Newegg is great. I got the Retail version of the Sapphire 1800xt. I'm waiting for my RMA from Viewsonic. They have my 20.1" widescreen. Right now I have a 15" monitor hooked to my x1800xt! I have to use this 19' CRT on here until I get my widescreen back

I don't mean to alarm you, but I have bought four Sapphire video cards from Newegg since May '06. The 1800xt, an x800gto, and two 9600xt's ione for a friend of my sons. All four cards work perfect. I paid approximately $700 for the four and three of them had rebates totaling $65. $15 of that is the kids. I have not received a nickel from Sapphire i rebate payment. Last week I sent an email their way and I did not get a favorable response. Kind of like 'rebate'... 'what rebate?. So. I filed a complaint with the Attorney General's offie in sacramento and a second complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

Now to you question. Hopefully a second card will be a working card and install with no problem. I was somewhat impressed with the Sapphire cards I bouhgt this year quality wise. Usually when I order from newegg I get my order next day. They are right down the street :D 
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2006 10:21:55 PM

Quote:

Be sure and let us know how it turns out. Thanks.
a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2006 7:56:49 AM

So...what's the story? :roll:
August 28, 2006 6:22:05 PM

Ok the Card should be here today..but i RMAed the Mob alos because it was lame OCer..SO i wont know it all works till tues when my dfi infinity MOB comes...
!