x1900XT or RAM issues?

Geim

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
I just recently bought a MSI Rx1900xt and I was running alright until a few days ago. It would randomly freeze on me. I play Counter-Strike: Source and it would freeze 5 minutes into it, I run 3DMark06 and it would freeze in the middle of the tests. I'm about to RMA it back to ZZF but before I send it out, I wanted to know if there was anything I can do to fix it. I downloaded ATiTool and tried to tweak it and i'm wondering if that is my problem because after i ran it, it set the core/memory to 620/710 on its own and I would boot up the VGA at that speed. Its a brand new computer so I couldn't tell you exactly anything else. I have a Coolmax 600W PSU, I don't think that is it either. The BIOS is the most recent one for my motherboard. There has been no other BIOS for the VGA, and I also did a clean install of Windows XP. I also tried manually setting the fans at certain temps with ATi Tray Tool and it would work a little longer, but it would still freeze up my computer eventually.

I also found out another thing, could the problem be the RAM? i bought a crappy DDR2 533 1Gig PNY Dual Channel Kit to replace my OCZ Gold RAM i need to RMA, and i was wondering could the cheap RAM be the problem of my games freezing during gameplay and benchmarks?

Please if anyone could help

I just recently bought a MSI Rx1900xt and I was running alright until a few days ago.

Sounds like the card worked fine until you tried to tweak it. Try uninstalling ATI Tool and set the card back to default with Catalyst Control Center. RAM can cause system lockups too. You switched out the RAM recently. I would try one stick in slot one and see if the crashing continues. Also be sure you have latest Catalyst driver installed. HTH.