Bulging geometry...

Last response: in Video Games
March 26, 2005 5:59:13 PM

Experiencing a weird graphical error recently. All over Morrowind, various
objects are bulging for some bizarre reason. There's really no other way to
describe it. It looks like somebody literally attached a pump and filled
them up like balloons. They are not just larger, but distorted, like made
round and bulgy. If this description isn't enough, I'll take some
screenshots to show people, but it's really weird. I first noticed it with
the hallways in tower-type buildings, such as Ghostgate, Arvs-Drelen, or any
of the other places that use that structure. Then I started noticing it in
other places. The doors on buildings in Ald'Ruhn and Maar Gan are bowed
inwards. In the case of multi-story indoor locations, you can look down and
see the lower floor through the gap. Also in Ald'Ruhn and Maar Gan, the
silt-strider towers are bulged, so that the caravaner standing on top of it
has his feet burried underneath the mound. In Vivec, those rectangular
planters everywhere are bulged, and in one case I even saw a book on a shelf
that was bulged. What's worse is it seems to be spreading. The Shrine
Sargeant quest-giver in Ebonheart has an unusually large head all of a
sudden. Now I've also noticed that my Glass Helmet is bulging as well,
leaving gaps along all the edges so you can see my character's head through
it. So far, all of these problems appear to be visual-only, and don't
affect collision detection at all. But I'm starting to get a little
concerned that something weird is going on here. Has anybody ever
experienced anything like this before? Any idea what could be causing it?

More about : bulging geometry

Anonymous
March 26, 2005 8:54:29 PM

Some screenshots of the bug in action:

http://onfinite.com/libraries/388709/53b.jpg

They are from upper-left:

1. The Gnisis Eggmine Ledger. Notice the bottle to the right as well.
2. A silt strider's cockpit
3. Door to the Ald'Ruhn Fighter's Guild
4. Top of the silt strider tower - notice the guy's feet
5. Same Fighter's Guild door from the inside, looking down you can see the
lower floor
6. My helmet
7. A planter in Vivec
8. Kaye's big head

I've been told that it may have to do with the N-Patch settings in the FPS
Optimizer, but I'm not sure what to change the settings to to make it not
happen...
March 27, 2005 2:45:05 PM

Darrel Hoffman wrote:
> Some screenshots of the bug in action:
>
> http://onfinite.com/libraries/388709/53b.jpg

Bad link.

> They are from upper-left:
>
> 1. The Gnisis Eggmine Ledger. Notice the bottle to the right as well.
> 2. A silt strider's cockpit
> 3. Door to the Ald'Ruhn Fighter's Guild
> 4. Top of the silt strider tower - notice the guy's feet
> 5. Same Fighter's Guild door from the inside, looking down you can see the
> lower floor
> 6. My helmet
> 7. A planter in Vivec
> 8. Kaye's big head
>
> I've been told that it may have to do with the N-Patch settings in the FPS
> Optimizer, but I'm not sure what to change the settings to to make it not
> happen...

From the way you describe it, I had this same problem and it
was indeed caused by the FPS Optimizer. There is a setting
in that program that causes this. Something about sub-dividing
triangles or something? I forget the exact term, because I
got rid of the FPS Optimizer some time ago.
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 5:58:04 PM

> > Some screenshots of the bug in action:
> >
> > http://onfinite.com/libraries/388709/53b.jpg
> >

> Bad link.

Hmm. Works for me...

> From the way you describe it, I had this same problem and it
> was indeed caused by the FPS Optimizer. There is a setting
> in that program that causes this. Something about sub-dividing
> triangles or something? I forget the exact term, because I
> got rid of the FPS Optimizer some time ago.

Just out of curiousity, what prompted you to stop using it? It wasn't this
geometry thing, was it? Because I've discovered you can turn that off. You
can actually even hotkey it to toggle it on and off in-game, which is what
I've done. So far, it hasn't seriously impacted gameplay, with the
exception of the tower areas, where the bulging walls and ceiling can
obstruct visibility. I'm not sure what the benefits to leaving it on are,
but I do like the distance range settings that this program gives.
Hopefully it will make CTDs a bit less common, though it's hard to tell
without a lot of testing...
!