erasing a folder filled with locked files

I have a folder filled with all the elements of a program including sub
folders, lots of .dll files and many others. I must delete it to reinstall
it. There is no uninstall program and it does not appear in the list of
prgrams on the remove/alter menu. How do I force the deletion of all files
in a folder regardless of their attributes?
7 answers Last reply
More about erasing folder filled locked files

    Have you tried deleting in Safe Mode? The problem is that the dll's need to
    be unloaded before you can delete them. Safe mode should do that.

    "Mike Good" <Mike Good@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a folder filled with all the elements of a program including sub
    > folders, lots of .dll files and many others. I must delete it to
    > reinstall
    > it. There is no uninstall program and it does not appear in the list of
    > prgrams on the remove/alter menu. How do I force the deletion of all
    > files
    > in a folder regardless of their attributes?

    Dear Mr. Barnhorst,

    Thank you for such a prompt and helpful reply. I had indeed not tried or
    even knew that one could delete more efficiently in safe mode. I will try
    it.

    Mike Good

    "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

    > Have you tried deleting in Safe Mode? The problem is that the dll's need to
    > be unloaded before you can delete them. Safe mode should do that.
    >
    > "Mike Good" <Mike Good@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have a folder filled with all the elements of a program including sub
    > > folders, lots of .dll files and many others. I must delete it to
    > > reinstall
    > > it. There is no uninstall program and it does not appear in the list of
    > > prgrams on the remove/alter menu. How do I force the deletion of all
    > > files
    > > in a folder regardless of their attributes?

    Hi, Mike.

    Sometimes we can uninstall an uninstallable program if we install it again,
    then uninstall it. Installing it again (into the same location, if
    possible) lets the uninstaller rebuilt its database. The program's own
    uninstall utility (or Add/Remove Programs) then can find the data it needs
    to uninstall.

    If you mention the name of the program, someone here might recognize it and
    know about its quirks.

    > How do I force the deletion of all files
    > in a folder regardless of their attributes?

    One way is to open a "DOS" window and use the Remove Directory command with
    the /s switch to include all files and subdirectories. This, of course,
    does NOT clean up the Registry or delete any related files in other
    directories. But, if you are sure you want to do this, then navigate to the
    parent of the directory and enter: rd <foldername> /s

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "Mike Good" <Mike Good@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a folder filled with all the elements of a program including sub
    > folders, lots of .dll files and many others. I must delete it to
    > reinstall
    > it. There is no uninstall program and it does not appear in the list of
    > prgrams on the remove/alter menu. How do I force the deletion of all
    > files
    > in a folder regardless of their attributes?

    Dear Mr. White,

    Thank you for your reply. You gave me a number of ways to solve my problem,
    some of which I have tried.

    On the matter of going to the dos window, I did that but was unable to
    change the directory using the chdir and cd commands to the Program Files
    directory. I tried every combination of that name but to no avail.

    Actually I was attempting to re-install the program when I was informed that
    installation could not proceed because files in the old directory were
    proteted or in use. I did all I know to change attributes and to prevent the
    files from loading, etc. Still no success.

    Finally I changed the name of the sub-directory within the Program Files
    directory that held the program, which is MUSICMATCH, and then installed the
    program anew. Now I will try to delete the old, renamed directory in safe
    mode as suggest by another kind colleague in this group.

    Thank you for your advice.

    Mike Good

    "R. C. White" wrote:

    > Hi, Mike.
    >
    > Sometimes we can uninstall an uninstallable program if we install it again,
    > then uninstall it. Installing it again (into the same location, if
    > possible) lets the uninstaller rebuilt its database. The program's own
    > uninstall utility (or Add/Remove Programs) then can find the data it needs
    > to uninstall.
    >
    > If you mention the name of the program, someone here might recognize it and
    > know about its quirks.
    >
    > > How do I force the deletion of all files
    > > in a folder regardless of their attributes?
    >
    > One way is to open a "DOS" window and use the Remove Directory command with
    > the /s switch to include all files and subdirectories. This, of course,
    > does NOT clean up the Registry or delete any related files in other
    > directories. But, if you are sure you want to do this, then navigate to the
    > parent of the directory and enter: rd <foldername> /s
    >
    > RC
    > --
    > R. C. White, CPA
    > San Marcos, TX
    > rc@corridor.net
    > Microsoft Windows MVP
    >
    > "Mike Good" <Mike Good@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have a folder filled with all the elements of a program including sub
    > > folders, lots of .dll files and many others. I must delete it to
    > > reinstall
    > > it. There is no uninstall program and it does not appear in the list of
    > > prgrams on the remove/alter menu. How do I force the deletion of all
    > > files
    > > in a folder regardless of their attributes?

    Hi, Mike.

    I hope that reinstalling MusicMatch will let you uninstall it.

    In the "DOS" window, if you want to work with a folder name or any filename
    or path that includes a space character (such as Program Files), you must
    enclose the entire pathname in quotes. For example: cd "C:\Program Files"
    or rd "C:\Program Files\MusicMatch" /s

    Another trick with cd is to use a wildcard. For example, cd pro* will
    usually get you into Program Files without the quotes (unless you have
    another foldername starting with pro). But the wildcard does not work this
    way with some commands; dir pro* would only produce a directory showing
    Program Files and any other file/foldername starting with pro.

    File "attributes" include Archive, System, Hidden and Read-Only. Use the
    "DOS" command attrib /? to see details. But the /s switch causes the rd
    command to ignore attributes, deleting files and folders with any or all of
    these attributes set. As you can see, as with most powerful commands, it
    can be very dangerous if you slip up and delete more than you intended.

    Attributes have nothing to do with a message that a file is in use. Any
    file, including one with no attributes set, can be in use by a running
    program, and WinXP will usually refuse the command to delete such a file
    until it is no longer in use. Booting into Safe Mode often allows us to
    delete files that otherwise would be used by programs set to run at Startup.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "mg" <mg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Dear Mr. White,
    >
    > Thank you for your reply. You gave me a number of ways to solve my
    > problem,
    > some of which I have tried.
    >
    > On the matter of going to the dos window, I did that but was unable to
    > change the directory using the chdir and cd commands to the Program Files
    > directory. I tried every combination of that name but to no avail.
    >
    > Actually I was attempting to re-install the program when I was informed
    > that
    > installation could not proceed because files in the old directory were
    > proteted or in use. I did all I know to change attributes and to prevent
    > the
    > files from loading, etc. Still no success.
    >
    > Finally I changed the name of the sub-directory within the Program Files
    > directory that held the program, which is MUSICMATCH, and then installed
    > the
    > program anew. Now I will try to delete the old, renamed directory in safe
    > mode as suggest by another kind colleague in this group.
    >
    > Thank you for your advice.
    >
    > Mike Good
    >
    > "R. C. White" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi, Mike.
    >>
    >> Sometimes we can uninstall an uninstallable program if we install it
    >> again,
    >> then uninstall it. Installing it again (into the same location, if
    >> possible) lets the uninstaller rebuilt its database. The program's own
    >> uninstall utility (or Add/Remove Programs) then can find the data it
    >> needs
    >> to uninstall.
    >>
    >> If you mention the name of the program, someone here might recognize it
    >> and
    >> know about its quirks.
    >>
    >> > How do I force the deletion of all files
    >> > in a folder regardless of their attributes?
    >>
    >> One way is to open a "DOS" window and use the Remove Directory command
    >> with
    >> the /s switch to include all files and subdirectories. This, of course,
    >> does NOT clean up the Registry or delete any related files in other
    >> directories. But, if you are sure you want to do this, then navigate to
    >> the
    >> parent of the directory and enter: rd <foldername> /s
    >>
    >> RC
    >>
    >> "Mike Good" <Mike Good@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have a folder filled with all the elements of a program including sub
    >> > folders, lots of .dll files and many others. I must delete it to
    >> > reinstall
    >> > it. There is no uninstall program and it does not appear in the list
    >> > of
    >> > prgrams on the remove/alter menu. How do I force the deletion of all
    >> > files
    >> > in a folder regardless of their attributes?

    Mr. White,

    wow, I did not know that about the quotes around a file name in dos. Thanks
    that solves a myriad of problems for me. MusicMatch is working fine now.

    Mike

    "R. C. White" wrote:

> [...]
    > >> again,
    > >> then uninstall it. Installing it again (into the same location, if
    > >> possible) lets the uninstaller rebuilt its database. The program's own
    > >> uninstall utility (or Add/Remove Programs) then can find the data it
    > >> needs
    > >> to uninstall.
    > >>
    > >> If you mention the name of the program, someone here might recognize it
    > >> and
    > >> know about its quirks.

    > >> One way is to open a "DOS" window and use the Remove Directory command
    > >> with
    > >> the /s switch to include all files and subdirectories. This, of course,
    > >> does NOT clean up the Registry or delete any related files in other
    > >> directories. But, if you are sure you want to do this, then navigate to
    > >> the
    > >> parent of the directory and enter: rd <foldername> /s

    You're welcome. And thanks for the report back. It should help others with
    the same problem who might be reading this thread.

    RC
    --

> [...]
    >> > Files
    >> > directory. I tried every combination of that name but to no avail.
    >> >
    >> > Actually I was attempting to re-install the program when I was informed
    >> > that
    >> > installation could not proceed because files in the old directory were
    >> > proteted or in use. I did all I know to change attributes and to
    >> > prevent
    >> > the
    >> > files from loading, etc. Still no success.
    >> >
    >> > Finally I changed the name of the sub-directory within the Program
    >> > Files
    >> > directory that held the program, which is MUSICMATCH, and then
    >> > installed
    >> > the
    >> > program anew. Now I will try to delete the old, renamed directory in
    >> > safe
    >> > mode as suggest by another kind colleague in this group.

Microsoft Windows XP