What is wrong with THG website.

THG website has to be the slowest site I frequent. I mean really, this site is so slow. I constantly experience hang ups and slow downs while trying to move between the posts, threads and topics. Sometimes it takes minutes to open a page on the site. I try and use the CPU charts and it's just a lesson it frustration. Try and do a search and I'd be better off just going on google and fly through a simple search request. Unbelievable. How can it be this site runs so slow? Answers? :roll:

Anyway, I wish someone would fix the problem. The slow downs are getting more annoying by the minute. Didn't mean to post in this section, but I got here and was afraid to try and open another page on this site for fear of crashing out of the site due to it's slowness. I have a pentium 3 450 that runs like a jet compared to THG's setup. 8O

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Dude, there must seriously be something wrong with your connection.

I work for our local municipality and we have a REAL sh!tty connection here. After 8 in the morning you can expect to get a maximum download speed of 5KBps (if your lucky). The site (THG) opens just fine here by me - EVERY TIME.

If there is a bottleneck on their side (highly doubt that), I'm sure you have have the spare cash for another server or 2 for them???

Stop complaining about petty crap like this.

If there is a bottleneck on their side (highly doubt that), I'm sure you have have the spare cash for another server or 2 for them???

Dude, I can go onto any site on the net EXCEPT this one and don't have a problem.

Raeven_Zero

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
From where I am we have a lot of problems browsing almost all websites, constant refreshing only to keep getting "Page Cannot be Displayed" messages. This website is one of the few that comes up each and every time with little to no delay.

From where I am we have a lot of problems browsing almost all websites, constant refreshing only to keep getting "Page Cannot be Displayed" messages. This website is one of the few that comes up each and every time with little to no delay.

Funny becasue THG website is the only site I have trouble with. Hmmmm. I seem to have trouible with all three of my wireless networks in all three seperate locations. I have trouble with this site on all fifteen of my computers on three different networks?

Raeven_Zero

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
Maybe your ISP hates THG and limits bandwidth the the site. Maybe some router, somewhere on earth is keeping your from getting the THG packets as well as you should.

Totally agree. This site is awfully slow.

Absolutely. It really is slow. I'm serious. I haven't seen a site this slow since I was using my Packard Bell Pentium 1. And that had 16 megabytes of RAM built onto the MB. This site doesn't have 16 megatooseys of memory to it's name :p What is this website running on...a usb wireless adapter? :D

Raeven_Zero

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
Maybe I'm just not noticing it because of it being relatively fast compared to all of the other websites on our extremely slow satellite connection with 20,000 users on it.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Totally agree. This site is awfully slow.

I typically check in here a couple of times a day, maybe more if it's too hot outside. I see very erratic response from Toms. I regularly check my ISP bandwidth from a few US hubs, I can thus tell that it's not an ISP problem.

robmurphy

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
I've noticed there have been some problems with Forumz. This has been noticed from 2 PC's on 2 different ISPs. Yesterday if I clicked on a topic in the forumz there would be a dely and then "Page cannot be displayed" error message from IE.

I think its a problem related to Tom's site or its host.

Robert Murphy

maury73

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
There are problems in the DB forums since two days, verified from many different connection (also from Milan MIX).
Yesterday morning there was a notice in the main page in the forum scrool layer saying that there ware problems with DB. Maybe some soft/hardware upgrade that slows down things occasionally.

I work for our local municipality and we have a REAL sh!tty connection here. After 8 in the morning you can expect to get a maximum download speed of 5KBps (if your lucky). The site (THG) opens just fine here by me - EVERY TIME.

I have cable modem, and in real time I can get 1 meg a second download from most sites, and very seldom below 600k, and average about 800k. Yep, I can download 30 megs in about 30 seconds. :)
Anyhow, this site is slow, and constantly hangs. It may have something to do with the amount of advertising. They seem to keep adding more all the time.

i_am_not_god

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
this site is slow for me to, not to mention that the daily news on this site hardley ever works on the latest news, just like now the ATi releases 1950 card, which goes back to main site.
Sort it out

Raeven_Zero

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
Just thought of another reason why I might be having less problems......Where is this site's host located? My ISP is in Germany so I was thinking that maybe I wasn't experiencing the bottleneck that some of you other Americans are getting. Can any other Germany based people confirm this theory or am I the only one that never sees a problem :?:

i_am_not_god

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
im in the uk, it seems to only be the forums that are having a slow down, which im sure are located on another server, site seems alright at this minute, so it could of just been high usuage at that time.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
The speed comes and goes. Thanks to other sites I visit that can also be painful to navigate, I've gotten in the habit of right-clicking on the thread or page I want to read and selecting open in new window instead of just clicking on it and waiting. I then do that for half a dozen pages and then by the time I've finished clicking on the threads I want to read, the first one is usually open.

It's a bandaid certainly, but it reduces my overall frustration level with slow websites.

Aragorn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
For me forumz are normally slow and sometimes the main sites and articles on THG are too. I also don't get to see many of the images, perhaps THG is putting them in a page in a way that makes Zone alarm think they are ads? I do see a ridiculous number of ads though. I don't mind the ads they pay for this great site to exist. I just wish I could reliably see the images that the articles and forumz are meant to contain. I would also like it if the site was faster, but if they are doing all they can while remaining free I can live with the speed.

jimw428

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006

Anyhow, this site is slow, and constantly hangs. It may have something to do with the amount of advertising. They seem to keep adding more all the time.
I agree. I have trouble with this site and the Drudge Report, both of which are filled with adverts. I suspect that it has something to do with capturing "click" revenue information from our cookies. When I experience slow response, I notice that it seems to improve after I clear my browser cookies.

allhell

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Good luck.... there is nothing they can do as this site has been on auto-pilot for so long.
Dont expect anything to happen unless the system crashes.
This is not NEWEGG lol.

Synergy6

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
For me, the "site" is never slow, but the Forumz usually are. By "slow" I mean 2/3 times the pages time-out. My ping to this place is 118 and tracert only shows 11 hops, so my 2mb connection shouldn't be a problem.
Synergy6

rushfan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
THG website has to be the slowest site I frequent. I mean really, this site is so slow. I constantly experience hang ups and slow downs while trying to move between the posts, threads and topics. Sometimes it takes minutes to open a page on the site. I try and use the CPU charts and it's just a lesson it frustration. Try and do a search and I'd be better off just going on google and fly through a simple search request. Unbelievable. How can it be this site runs so slow? Answers? :roll:

Anyway, I wish someone would fix the problem. The slow downs are getting more annoying by the minute. Didn't mean to post in this section, but I got here and was afraid to try and open another page on this site for fear of crashing out of the site due to it's slowness. I have a pentium 3 450 that runs like a jet compared to THG's setup. 8O

Sorry to say - it's true. The site gets slower and slower every month. I have been visiting the site daily for eight years now and despite my faster computers and Internet feeds, the pages load more slowly than ever. It doesn't matter where I browse from - home (5.1 Mbps cable) or work (dual T1), the speed is about the same. The forumz are the worst offenders of all.

Fox_granit

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
Working for a major telecommunications company on their main campus, everyone has atleast 2Mb download speeds. I have had very few problems connecting to Tom's site vs everything else out on the net. It's actually one of the fastest loading for me, but then almost all my work is done on the web.

It could be the distance you are from the servers, could also be the status of the Net. Too many factors to just blame it on Tom's.... other than it also being relative. I am hesitant to blame it completely on Tom's; more tempted to blame it on the Net in general.

Some days are better/worse then others. If the main site is slow, I can usually enable "adblock" in firefox to speed things up. Of course the page looks like crap because you lose the formatting when the ads are removed, but at least you can get to the articles. If the forums are slow it may be a DB problem as adblock doesn't seem to effect it's performance as much.