Sign in with
Your question

Problem with 7600GT

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 23, 2006 5:14:42 AM

I have a problem playing F.E.A.R. The game messes up my display on exit or after a couple of minutes of play. The display keeps switching on and off upon any movement on the screen.

I ran 3DMark06 with maximum settings and got a mark of 3068.

I noticed that the animations they use for benchmarking were running very slow (around 10fps). They use the following:

Return To Proxycon
Firefly Forest
Red Valley
Red Valley
Canyon Flight
Deep Freeze

All of them ran slow, but after the last one in the list (Deep Freeze), the same problem I had with F.E.A.R. showed up and stayed throughout the rest of the 3DMarks06 tests. At the end of the Benchmarking, had to restart to fix the display problem.

I've updated all my drivers. The problem is not with F.E.A.R. The problem is with display drivers or the graphics card because I can play other games like Oblivion, Hitman BM, Quake4, Half Life 2 EO etc. at maxium settings with excellent FPS.

Does anyone have a fix for this please?

More about : problem 7600gt

August 26, 2006 9:37:42 PM

No one knows fix to this?
August 27, 2006 12:28:48 AM

Consider RMA'ing. Or the card could be overheating. Halo PC once ran at ~20fps on my laptop, then I disassembled it and cleaned the dust off the heatsink. Now I get ~40-60fps. Granted it's no where near the same configuration, but dust is dust (a hot component's worst nightmare for blocking airflow). Check that HSF good.
Related resources
August 27, 2006 12:50:11 AM

what 7600gt in particular is it?
Many manufacturers overclock then from the factory.
RMA as djplanet stated may be a good idea...

But who exactly makes your 7600???
August 27, 2006 1:01:27 AM

Your 3dmark score is not extremely low even though there is room for improvement that is not your main concern.
Try setting your graphics within fear options menu to resolve issues.
You can achieve better game play by reducing performance and still enjoy all the eye candy.
I believe Fear likes more ram but should run fine without those problems you are experiencing.
2gig makes fear run better(less write to disk)
Did you check for updates for fear and install the latest game files?
August 27, 2006 1:07:20 AM

Quote:
I have a problem playing F.E.A.R. The game messes up my display on exit or after a couple of minutes of play. The display keeps switching on and off upon any movement on the screen.

I ran 3DMark06 with maximum settings and got a mark of 3068.

I noticed that the animations they use for benchmarking were running very slow (around 10fps). They use the following:

Return To Proxycon
Firefly Forest
Red Valley
Red Valley
Canyon Flight
Deep Freeze

All of them ran slow, but after the last one in the list (Deep Freeze), the same problem I had with F.E.A.R. showed up and stayed throughout the rest of the 3DMarks06 tests. At the end of the Benchmarking, had to restart to fix the display problem.

I've updated all my drivers. The problem is not with F.E.A.R. The problem is with display drivers or the graphics card because I can play other games like Oblivion, Hitman BM, Quake4, Half Life 2 EO etc. at maxium settings with excellent FPS.

Does anyone have a fix for this please?

Agree with dj, if you got dust, get it out. Also you seem to have 1GB of memory. I would suggest buying another. That will also increase graphics, gameplay and Fps wise. If none of this works, RMA the card.
August 27, 2006 1:42:06 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Quote:
Consider RMA'ing. Or the card could be overheating. Halo PC once ran at ~20fps on my laptop, then I disassembled it and cleaned the dust off the heatsink. Now I get ~40-60fps. Granted it's no where near the same configuration, but dust is dust (a hot component's worst nightmare for blocking airflow). Check that HSF good.
Quote:
Agree with dj, if you got dust, get it out. Also you seem to have 1GB of memory. I would suggest buying another. That will also increase graphics, gameplay and Fps wise. If none of this works, RMA the card.

I didn't buy card seperately. I bought ready made PC for low price. So RMA is not an easy option. If I get problems with other games, then I will consider it, but as I stated before, other games work fine.

I don't think temperature or dust is a problem either. PC is brand new... only two weeks ago. I monitored the temp and values seem normal.

Quote:
what 7600gt in particular is it?
Many manufacturers overclock then from the factory.
RMA as djplanet stated may be a good idea...

But who exactly makes your 7600???

As given in my signature. It's ASUS EN7600GT 2DHT 256Mb. Factory settings. Not overclocked.

Quote:
Your 3dmark score is not extremely low even though there is room for improvement that is not your main concern.
You can achieve better game play by reducing performance and still enjoy all the eye candy.
I believe Fear likes more ram but should run fine without those problems you are experiencing.

If memory was the problem, then shouldn't the game run at low FPS? But when the game does run, it runs at high frame rate with no "lag". I don't know why, but just randomly, it suddenly freezes if I don't exit or if I exit, then the display starts switching on and off if there is any movement on screen including moving my mouse pointer.

I had patched the game and also updated display drivers. Didn't solve the problem.
August 27, 2006 2:09:50 AM

Quote:
I love it when people exaggerate like that. "I can play Oblivion and Hitman BM at the maximum settings with excellent FPS." Are you playing at 640x480?
August 27, 2006 2:13:34 AM

Please buddy, you only have a 7600GT, i've played with a 7950GX2 and it still can't run the 1st red valley above 2fps. 3dmark06 is for the top of the line cards.
August 27, 2006 3:06:39 AM

First of all, 3DMark06 is an insanely demanding benchmark. 3068, while being on the low side, is not a terrible score for a 7600GT. My X600 can't even finish all the tests (because it doesn't support shader model 3).

Second of all, you mentioned that you bought your computer as a cheap pre-built. I assume that means that you bought something like a Dell or HP. If that's the case, then the low performance makes sense. All major OEMs install sick amounts of crap software on their machines. A lot of this crap runs in the background, sucking up your RAM and CPU cycles. Here's an example: My computer used to be an HP. I overclocked my video card and ran 3DMark05. It scored 1,300-ish. I reformatted my HDD, reinstalled Windows, overclocked the video card to the exact same speeds, and ran 3DMark05. It scored 2,265.

If your computer came with a Windows XP disc, I highly recommend reinstalling Windows; you'll be amazed with how much faster EVERYTHING will run. If a reinstall doesn't solve your problem, then you'll at least know that you have a hardware problem.
August 27, 2006 3:45:12 AM

Considering the poor components that can go into a Dell, HP, Gateway, etc., the lower scores might be justified. But Conquerz mentioned it "messes up his display" and "keeps switching on and off upon any movement on the screen." These problems point to simply a bad card IMO. If it's a new computer then maybe it's under warranty. In which case, raise hell and get it repaired or replaced.

But reinstalling Windows is a good idea, gets rid of all the bloatware (which undoubtedly came with your pre-built) that's infesting your startup, lowering your framerate, and raising your boot time to 3 min (hopefully not THIS bad :)  )
August 27, 2006 3:50:10 AM

Quote:
Please buddy, you only have a 7600GT, i've played with a 7950GX2 and it still can't run the 1st red valley above 2fps. 3dmark06 is for the top of the line cards.

Thats because 'Red Valley' is the CPU test and the GPU is almost irrelevent.
August 27, 2006 4:20:21 AM

Quote:
I love it when people exaggerate like that. "I can play Oblivion and Hitman BM at the maximum settings with excellent FPS." Are you playing at 640x480?
No exaggeration mate. I swear. I play at maximum settings at 1280x1024 on my viewsonic tft 19" monitor.

In all the games I mentioned, I go to video settings page and max out the settings and turning on all the lighting, shadows, distance, detail etc.

All games run really well except for F.E.A.R. This used to run well too at start until I reached the third or fourth level.

The reason why I emphesized the games I am able to play was to show that my card is working fine with other games.
August 27, 2006 4:25:39 AM

Quote:

Yeh, red vally runs at 1fps for me.

I am not complaining about the 3Dmark06. That was just to show that my card was "normal", so why is it getting these problems?
August 27, 2006 4:32:23 AM

Quote:
First of all, 3DMark06 is an insanely demanding benchmark. 3068, while being on the low side, is not a terrible score for a 7600GT. My X600 can't even finish all the tests (because it doesn't support shader model 3).

Second of all, you mentioned that you bought your computer as a cheap pre-built. I assume that means that you bought something like a Dell or HP. If that's the case, then the low performance makes sense. All major OEMs install sick amounts of crap software on their machines. A lot of this crap runs in the background, sucking up your RAM and CPU cycles. Here's an example: My computer used to be an HP. I overclocked my video card and ran 3DMark05. It scored 1,300-ish. I reformatted my HDD, reinstalled Windows, overclocked the video card to the exact same speeds, and ran 3DMark05. It scored 2,265.

If your computer came with a Windows XP disc, I highly recommend reinstalling Windows; you'll be amazed with how much faster EVERYTHING will run. If a reinstall doesn't solve your problem, then you'll at least know that you have a hardware problem.

Quote:
Considering the poor components that can go into a Dell, HP, Gateway, etc., the lower scores might be justified. But Conquerz mentioned it "messes up his display" and "keeps switching on and off upon any movement on the screen." These problems point to simply a bad card IMO. If it's a new computer then maybe it's under warranty. In which case, raise hell and get it repaired or replaced.

But reinstalling Windows is a good idea, gets rid of all the bloatware (which undoubtedly came with your pre-built) that's infesting your startup, lowering your framerate, and raising your boot time to 3 min (hopefully not THIS bad :)  )

Actually, I didn't buy it from a major company like Dell or Gateway (don't know if that is still alive).

I got it built for my needs. I chose the components I needed... I chose my motherbaord, CPU, RAM, graphics, hard drive, dvd writer etc.

I didn't buy ANY software at all for my PC. I installed everything my self. I already had operating system from my previous PC which I replaced.

Its not monitor problem, since I tested it on a CRT monitor and same problem occurs.
August 27, 2006 5:14:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Actually, I didn't buy it from a major company like Dell or Gateway (don't know if that is still alive).

I got it built for my needs. I chose the components I needed... I chose my motherbaord, CPU, RAM, graphics, hard drive, dvd writer etc.

I didn't buy ANY software at all for my PC. I installed everything my self. I already had operating system from my previous PC which I replaced.

Its not monitor problem, since I tested it on a CRT monitor and same problem occurs.

Ok then, all that aside, it could still be simply a bad card. Remember the horror stories with some of the eVGA 7900GTs? See the NewEgg reviews for yourself.
BTW, who DID build your rig? Alienware? Some other company? A private assembler?
August 27, 2006 5:23:10 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

If memory was the problem, then shouldn't the game run at low FPS? But when the game does run, it runs at high frame rate with no "lag". I don't know why, but just randomly, it suddenly freezes if I don't exit or if I exit, then the display starts switching on and off if there is any movement on screen including moving my mouse pointer.

I had patched the game and also updated display drivers. Didn't solve the problem.
Game play is a lot more than just fps.
There is a lot of information being processed between the CPU and GPU via the ram.
The latency or time delay could slow down this communication back and forth to a crawl.
It’s important to have all your components complementing each other.
One lagging component will be the point of your bottleneck.
If other processes share the bus on a bottlenecked system you’re CPU or gpu will have to wait to receive its next instruction causing stall or freeze. Combine this with driver issues and missing game patch updates or operating system service packs …firewalls…antivirus …Spy ware and other unforeseen data collisions your game will just lock up.
It’s not certain where your problem may have originated but since you claim other games more gpu intensive than Fear are working it would be a good Idea to investigate other potential sources.
Unfortunately it will be a process of elimination.
Don’t blame the 7600gt just yet.
There may be another point to consider.
Your video drivers may need to be uninstalled; registry cleaned and correct drivers reinstalled.
Not all of the NVIDIA drivers are 100% compatible in every computer.
You may have to experiment.
Your operating system alone can cause the problems your describing.

The bottom line is if your Video card works in all applications but one you should start there.

Good luck
August 27, 2006 5:36:34 AM

Quote:
Ok then, all that aside, it could still be simply a bad card. Remember the horror stories with some of the eVGA 7900GTs? See the NewEgg reviews for yourself.
BTW, who DID build your rig? Alienware? Some other company? A private assembler?

Actually, I bought this one:

Power Intel Prestige Tower System PC :wink:
August 27, 2006 5:40:35 AM

Quote:
Game play is a lot more than just fps.
There is a lot of information being processed between the CPU and GPU via the ram.
The latency or time delay could slow down this communication back and forth to a crawl.
It’s important to have all your components complementing each other.
One lagging component will be the point of your bottleneck.
If other processes share the bus on a bottlenecked system you’re CPU or gpu will have to wait to receive its next instruction causing stall or freeze. Combine this with driver issues and missing game patch updates or operating system service packs …firewalls…antivirus …Spy ware and other unforeseen data collisions your game will just lock up.

Thanks for the info, kwalker. I agree.

Quote:
It’s not certain where your problem may have originated but since you claim other games more gpu intensive than Fear are working it would be a good Idea to investigate other potential sources.
Unfortunately it will be a process of elimination.
Don’t blame the 7600gt just yet.
There may be another point to consider.
Your video drivers may need to be uninstalled; registry cleaned and correct drivers reinstalled.
Not all of the NVIDIA drivers are 100% compatible in every computer.
You may have to experiment.
Your operating system alone can cause the problems your describing.

The bottom line is if your Video card works in all applications but one you should start there.

Good luck

I read around a lot and discovered that a LOT of people are having exactly the same problems with 7900GTs. I am wondering whether this problem is common to all 7000 series cards or what?!! 8O

See this thread for example:

7900GT / GTX for those who can't pass Deep Freeze 3DMark06!
August 27, 2006 5:53:46 AM

I have experienced small random stops in fear even with my x1900xt.
A clean reinstall of my drivers fixed the problem.
My 7600gt gave me hell with fear for awhile until I found the beta driver on the NVIDIA site.
It was by no means near what you are describing but annoying enough to make me work at it.
Later I reinstalled the original drivers and never looked back.
It turned out to be a little Vcore thing in the first place.
Damn overclockers :wink:
August 27, 2006 6:06:09 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I read around a lot and discovered that a LOT of people are having exactly the same problems with 7900GTs. I am wondering whether this problem is common to all 7000 series cards or what?!! 8O

See this thread for example:

7900GT / GTX for those who can't pass Deep Freeze 3DMark06!

Good find on the link

I don’t believe this is inherent to all 7 series NVIDIA cards.
I do know grossly overclocked gpu’s and 3dmark 2006 run a head on collision.
And as for F.E.A.R
It can be glitchy (seen a lot of posts)
August 28, 2006 9:53:23 PM

Quote:
Good find on the link

I don’t believe this is inherent to all 7 series NVIDIA cards.
I do know grossly overclocked gpu’s and 3dmark 2006 run a head on collision.
And as for F.E.A.R
It can be glitchy (seen a lot of posts)

Ticking "Force software vertex shaders" in 3dmark06 before running Deep Freeze passed the test without problems.

Setting the "Shaders" to minimum in F.E.A.R. worked for me. Game seems to run fine now without crashing.
August 28, 2006 10:30:48 PM

I wonder if maybe the latest drivers you installed could be the problem.I installed them when i had one video card and then when i had two in sli mode.bothe times i came up with weird black squares while firing my rifle and also in cs office the projector light going to the wall was black as well.so i un-installed the newest drivers,(which are supposedly microsoft certified),re-installed an older version and my probs went away.now you could try that before rma'ing the card.if it does not fix the problem,then get a new card.but try getting an evga version as i hear they are very good.bothe my 7800gt's are evga and so is my mother board.they work awesome.my 3dmark05 was 11,582.goodluck.

Dahak

EVGA NF4 SLI MB
X2 4400+@2.4 S-939
2X1GIG DDR400 RAM IN DC MODE
2 7800GT'S IN SLI MODE
520WATT PSU
WD300GIG HD
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR
a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2006 10:32:57 PM

Quote:
No exaggeration mate. I swear. I play at maximum settings at 1280x1024 on my viewsonic tft 19" monitor.

In all the games I mentioned, I go to video settings page and max out the settings and turning on all the lighting, shadows, distance, detail etc.

All games run really well except for F.E.A.R. This used to run well too at start until I reached the third or fourth level.

The reason why I emphesized the games I am able to play was to show that my card is working fine with other games.
12x10 max in Oblivion? At those settings, a 7800GT averages 13 fps and a 6800GT averages 7 fps. So how can a 7600GT provide excellent framerates? Link: http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/oblivion_high-end_p...

edit: with a 7600GT, at medium details, they average 17 fps at 12x10 outdoors, and the 6800GT isn't all that far behind it. Link: http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/oblivion_mainstream...
August 28, 2006 10:55:45 PM

I have a 7600GT from EVGA (Factory OC to 580Mhz). I can play F.E.A.R. at 1280X1024 w/ no problems. I think you should RMA your card or something, because that doesn't sound right.

Oh, and I get horrible performance in Oblivion. I have to run at 1280x1024 with a lot of options toned down before it will work properly. If I tried to run it at "max" in 12x10, it's completely not playable.
August 29, 2006 1:36:55 AM

Quote:

12x10 max in Oblivion? At those settings, a 7800GT averages 13 fps and a 6800GT averages 7 fps. So how can a 7600GT provide excellent framerates? Link: http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/oblivion_high-end_p...

edit: with a 7600GT, at medium details, they average 17 fps at 12x10 outdoors, and the 6800GT isn't all that far behind it. Link: http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/oblivion_mainstream...

Woow. I didn't know Oblivion was that stressing on graphics. I didn't "feel" it. Game ran fine on my PC.

I used Fraps to monitor the FPS and I have to agree that that at times, FPS does drop low to around 15... but most of the time, its been around 20-30 for me. I don't have a problem with that since it doesn't feel laggy or slow.

Besides, these are highest settings. If it starts to feel laggy, I can always reduce resolution to 1024x768, where it runs awesome.

Here's screenshots I took at 1280x1024 with FPS at top left hand side:

a b U Graphics card
August 29, 2006 1:58:40 AM

Yeah, it is super demanding. Makes farcry and HL2 look like a walk in the park. Now try going outside in the grassy areas with a long view distance, that's where framerates really tank, and it's also where you have to go by for tweaking your playable settings. 20-30 fps indoors will become 10 or less outside in some areas.

Anyway, I'm not getting on your case, I just know first hand that Oblivion is as stressful as it gets, and my eVGA 7800GT CO couldn't come close to 1280x1024 max details. Matter of fact, I'd call it a 10x7 med or 12x10 med/low card for Oblivion. I ended up ditching the 7800GT altogether and switching to a X1800XT just for that game. But shoot, I must have 200-300 hours into that game by now, so it was worth it. IMO my X1800XT isn't even capable of 1280x1024 max details for Oblivion, and it's basically a 7900GTX level Oblivion card. It can handle 12x10 high with tweaks, or most of the time I just use 10x7 high with 4xAA+HDR as the jaggies bug me.

10x7 4xaa + HDR

10x7 0xaa + HDR (notice the jaggies - yuck)
August 29, 2006 2:20:37 AM

Quote:
Yeah, it is super demanding. Makes farcry and HL2 look like a walk in the park. Now try going outside in the grassy areas with a long view distance, that's where framerates really tank, and it's also where you have to go by for tweaking your playable settings. 20-30 fps indoors will become 10 or less outside in some areas.

Anyway, I'm not getting on your case, I just know first hand that Oblivion is as stressful as it gets, and my eVGA 7800GT CO couldn't come close to 1280x1024 max details. Matter of fact, I'd call it a 10x7 med or 12x10 med/low card for Oblivion. I ended up ditching the 7800GT altogether and switching to a X1800XT just for that game. But shoot, I must have 200-300 hours into that game by now, so it was worth it. IMO my X1800XT isn't even capable of 1280x1024 max details for Oblivion, and it's basically a 7900GTX level Oblivion card. It can handle 12x10 high with tweaks, or most of the time I just use 10x7 high with 4xAA+HDR as the jaggies bug me.

10x7 4xaa + HDR

I'm still blown away by how beautiful the Oblivion grahpics are. I NEED THAT GAME!
August 29, 2006 2:32:49 AM

Well, those screenshots aren't outside in the great forest. Plus, 20FPS isn't what most gamers would consider "playable". Plus, that didn't really look like every detail was set to the highest (I might be wrong about that).
August 29, 2006 2:39:37 AM

how about not lying to us when we can look at the benchmarks from the same site ur posting on, ur card can do 10x7 with med settings(7600gt) and get gd frames, theres no way ur beating high end comp setups running maxed everything on a mid range gfx card
a b U Graphics card
August 29, 2006 2:44:11 AM

Quote:
Well, those screenshots aren't outside in the great forest. Plus, 20FPS isn't what most gamers would consider "playable".

Yeah, kinda my point. 20 in that pic could be under 10 out in the lows. Look at my HDR + 4Xaa screenie, which is the settings I play at was 65 FPS in that screenie, yet Outside in the foliage I've seen framerates dip down as low as 23 fps, although most of the time outdoors remains above 30 fps.
August 29, 2006 2:44:42 AM

Quote:
I didn't buy ANY software at all for my PC. I installed everything my self. I already had operating system from my previous PC which I replaced

Did u mean dat u didnt do a clean install, or u got da OS disc n install using it?If u didnt do a clean install, i recommend u format ur hd n do a clean install
August 29, 2006 3:06:49 AM

Quote:
Well, those screenshots aren't outside in the great forest. Plus, 20FPS isn't what most gamers would consider "playable". Plus, that didn't really look like every detail was set to the highest (I might be wrong about that).

20FPS is most definately playable, especially for an RPG like Oblivion. I play NFS:MW, and 30FPS is smooth enough.

Here's a screenshot at 1280x1024 with minimum detail and HDR (or in this case bloom) turned on:
IMO, it looks pretty good, and, at 20-30FPS, the gameplay is smooth enough.
August 29, 2006 4:32:08 AM

Quote:

Yeh Half Life runs very fast on my card, but I didn't think Oblivion was that demanding since I was happy with it running at 25 FPS. I mean thats about the same frame rate of DVDs we watch.

Quote:

10x7 4xaa + HDR

I took some caps at 10x7 with HDR turned on on. I couldn't turn on HDR and AA at the same time. I didn't let me. I got message saying only one of those can be turned on. So I switched the more demanding HDR on.

I did what you said, Went out in the country side. I saw some grass/bushes moving by the wind and took a snap:

[Edit: Again, this was actually at maximum settings @ 1280x1026 again. See next post for snaps at 1024x768]

I went further near water with scenary in distance:

[Edit: Again, this was actually at maximum settings @ 1280x1026 again. See next post for snaps at 1024x768]

If I don't have fraps running, the game could have fooled me that it running at 20 to 30 frames per second. It seems much higher since I don't have problems playing it.
August 29, 2006 5:15:44 AM

Sorry, previous caps were taken at highest resolution of 1280x1024. Here's are the caps at 1024x768:

Guard:

Moving leaves:

Moving grass:

Water:

I noticed something.... When I see lot of action on screen, frame rate shoots up. As you can see in the screen cap for the tree, frame rate had gone up to 60fps.

I also noticed that no matter what resolution I set it to, when I walk up to the guard, its always 30fps. So this time, I RAN to the guard by swinging by sword and jumping in the air and stuff to get lot of action on screen. When I reached the guard, my frame rate was settled at 60 frames per second. lol!

Maybe graphics card adjusts frame rate to amount of action on screen.

With that finding, I don't know how in the world Pauldh got a frame rate of 65 and 73 while standing in front of that guy with little or no action on screen.
August 29, 2006 5:20:58 AM

Quote:

20FPS is most definately playable, especially for an RPG like Oblivion. I play NFS:MW, and 30FPS is smooth enough.

Here's a screenshot at 1280x1024 with minimum detail and HDR (or in this case bloom) turned on:
IMO, it looks pretty good, and, at 20-30FPS, the gameplay is smooth enough.

I love NFS:MW. It runs so smoothly on my PC at maximum settings and resolution.

You are right. 20-30 is definitely playable. I play Oblivion, so I know. To me it feels like watching a DVD in full motion. No sign of lag of jittering.
August 29, 2006 5:24:08 AM

Quote:
Well, those screenshots aren't outside in the great forest. Plus, 20FPS isn't what most gamers would consider "playable".

Yeah, kinda my point. 20 in that pic could be under 10 out in the lows. Look at my HDR + 4Xaa screenie, which is the settings I play at was 65 FPS in that screenie, yet Outside in the foliage I've seen framerates dip down as low as 23 fps, although most of the time outdoors remains above 30 fps.

When I go outside, my frame rate increses. I don't know if the graphics card "relaxes" when there is little movement on screen.. but when I start running, or fighting or see lot of detail and action on screen, my frame rate goes to 60. So I don't know how you got 73 fps when standing still doing nothing.
August 29, 2006 5:28:34 AM

Quote:
I didn't buy ANY software at all for my PC. I installed everything my self. I already had operating system from my previous PC which I replaced

Did u mean dat u didnt do a clean install, or u got da OS disc n install using it?If u didnt do a clean install, i recommend u format ur hd n do a clean install

My system came was built using "out of box" components. There was nothing on disk when I received it. So yes, I had to install the operating system myself, and I did format it before I did so.
a b U Graphics card
August 29, 2006 1:13:01 PM

Your water screenie has distance, but doesn't have any grass in sight whatsoever. And your grass screenie is looking straight down with no view distance. Try combining both a long view distance, in an area loaded with foliage, and at max details, view distances, shadows, etc. I bet you'd see single digit framerates. No need to capture a screenie, just try it for yourself. :wink:

Honestly, if you are getting higher framerates outside in the foliage than indoors, something like view distance, grass count, outdoor shadows, are majorly being reduced or disabled. I'd post a screenie of a truely demanding outdoor area, but I am not on that machine and don't have access to any more Oblivion screenies from here. But anyone who has played enough Oblivion at high to max settings to get out in the thick, knows what I mean by demanding areas. A huge amount of the game is spent in such areas.
August 29, 2006 1:44:43 PM

What i meant is, when ur change certain hardware, such as gfx cards of diff chip (ati-nvidia or vice versa, not really 5700-7800), u can just uninstall the ol driver n load new driver...but if u change the mobo, it is recommended 4 u to do a clean install
August 29, 2006 3:01:49 PM

Quote:
I love NFS:MW. It runs so smoothly on my PC at maximum settings and resolution.

I love it, too. I just wish that I could turn on AA and turn the car reflections to high. I just love seeing reflections in in the paint of my car. I beat the game on Sunday; that's the M3 GTR in that screenshot.

Quote:
You are right. 20-30 is definitely playable. I play Oblivion, so I know. To me it feels like watching a DVD in full motion. No sign of lag of jittering.

Movies are shot at (I think) 24FPS.
August 29, 2006 3:52:32 PM

Quote:
Movies are shot at (I think) 24FPS.

Yeh that's the common frame rate for movies and we don't notice any flicker on them.

Quote:
Frame rates are considered important in video games. The frame rate can make the difference between a game that is playable and one that is not. The first 3D first-person adventure game for a personal computer, 3D Monster Maze, had a frame rate of approximately 6 fps, and was still a success, being playable and addictive. In modern action-oriented games where players must visually track animated objects and react quickly, frame rates of approximately 25 to 30 fps are considered minimally acceptable.
a b U Graphics card
August 29, 2006 10:57:09 PM

I am a huge NFSMW fan myself. It is the game that finally made me stop playing BF2 after 135 hours logged in. I hooked up the momo wheel, and played nothing but MW for many, many weeks. I never finished it though. Moved onto Oblivion at No. 2 on the blacklist, with a few more milestones to go before being able to challenge Razor.

I am looking forward to Test Drive Unlimited and NFS:Carbon. How about you guys?
August 30, 2006 12:06:04 AM

Quote:

Sorry but there's no way in hell you can run Oblivion maxed at 12*10 with a 7600gt. Even a pair of x-fired 1900xtxs have trouble pulling that off.
August 30, 2006 7:44:13 AM

Quote:
Sorry but there's no way in hell you can run Oblivion maxed at 12*10 with a 7600gt. Even a pair of x-fired 1900xtxs have trouble pulling that off.

Really? Well I'm doing it and I posted those screen caps above to prove. Although frame rate is not like 60-70, but I'm very happy with 20-30.

I don't know how I can run it. I bought my PC two weeks ago.
August 30, 2006 7:51:52 AM

Quote:
I am a huge NFSMW fan myself. It is the game that finally made me stop playing BF2 after 135 hours logged in. I hooked up the momo wheel, and played nothing but MW for many, many weeks. I never finished it though. Moved onto Oblivion at No. 2 on the blacklist, with a few more milestones to go before being able to challenge Razor.

I am looking forward to Test Drive Unlimited and NFS:Carbon. How about you guys?

I played BF2 for a while, didn't like it that much. Still preferred CCS instead.

I've been a big fan of NFS. Been playing it since the first release. Can't wait for next release.
!