DNS Dynamic Update Doesn't

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
September 9, 2005 12:56:54 PM

Using WIN 2003, SP1 with DHCP and DNS using AD. All setup to dynamically
update DNS but it does not happen. All workstations are XP, SP2. DNS works
otherwise, first time a workstation comes up in the domain the workstation
shows up properly but if the IP address is changed DNS does not indicate the
update. I have tried IPCONFIG /RELEASE and then renew and also reboot after
the release but the IP address does not update in DNS. I carefully reviewd
setting up DHCP for dynamic update and cannot find any reason why this is
not working. This problem occurs if I move a workstation to another subnet
and also when two workstations showed up in DNS with the same IP address. I
know I can manually delete but I want the dynamic update to work.

The DNS setting in DHCP is ENABLE DNS dynamic updates according to the
setting below:

Dynamically update DNS A and PTR records only if requested by the DHCP
clients

I understand that id the proper setting for XP clients,

Any ideas would be appreciated

More about : dns dynamic update

Anonymous
September 10, 2005 8:04:50 PM

"dave Admin" <dmackler@mds.acsol.net> wrote in message

> Using WIN 2003, SP1 with DHCP and DNS using AD. All setup to dynamically
> update DNS but it does not happen. All workstations are XP, SP2. DNS works
> otherwise, first time a workstation comes up in the domain the workstation
> shows up properly but if the IP address is changed DNS does not indicate
> the update.

Who is doing the updates for DHCP clients, client or DHCP server?
[Down below you indicate clients only -- not DHCP server]

> I have tried IPCONFIG /RELEASE and then renew and also reboot after the
> release but the IP address does not update in DNS.

That part would be due to not using "Ipconfig /registerDNS" after the
"/renew" (release is usually irrelevant.)

> I carefully reviewd setting up DHCP for dynamic update and cannot find any
> reason why this is not working. This problem occurs if I move a
> workstation to another subnet and also when two workstations showed up in
> DNS with the same IP address. I know I can manually delete but I want the
> dynamic update to work.
>
> The DNS setting in DHCP is ENABLE DNS dynamic updates according to the
> setting below:
>
> Dynamically update DNS A and PTR records only if requested by the DHCP
> clients
>
> I understand that id the proper setting for XP clients,

It is "a proper setting" (not 'the' setting).

Also check to make sure that all of the clients use STRICTLY the
INTERNAL DNS server (set) on their NIC -- otherwise they may
not find the Dynamic Master(s) for the zone -- where updates occur.

Make sure every station has it's name properly configured in
the SYSTEM CONTROL panel, including the DNS name.

There is also the possibility of doing this on each NIC, but the
REAL name of the machine is in the system control panel and
generally the settings on the NIC can be left as-is.

> Any ideas would be appreciated

Double-check authentication -- if you use "secure only" then
the clients cannot register DNS without first authenticating.

This itself is usually a DNS issue (on the DNS clients). All
internal DNS clients must use STRICTLY the internal DNS
server (set).

And remember, DCs and even DNS servers are generally
"internal DNS clients" so the previous rule/paragraph applies
to them as well.

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE