..sound breaking up and comp stalling when cdroms read discs

DrSatan316

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2005
I need help fixing this, it's really annoying! whenever my optical drives attempt to read a disc, my sound gets broken up and the computer seems to hang for a breif moment.

my specs:

Asus P5B
C2D E 6600
2GB Kingston value ram, DDR2 800 (4x 512mb)
Geforce 7900GT
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Lite-on DVDRW, and DVD ROM
Maxtor 300 GB's in raid 1
Antec 500W

onboard sound is enabled, usin the SB.
Any ideas?

mr_fnord

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Disable onboard sound, there might be resource or driver conflicts. Look for anything else sharing resources with your SB or with the CDROM drive. Check cabling and settings on your CDROM to make sure that no other ATAPI device is interfering, if you have one. Look for things running in the background that would make CDROM access very intensive, possibly bundled soundcard SW, antivirus, or the like. Update SB drivers.

What sound messes up when the CD accesses? Like sounds in a game when the game CD is accessed, or listening to MP3's while copying files?

DrSatan316

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2005
sorry I meant to say onboard sound was DISabled, i don't know why I typed enabled. And its any sound--mp3s when I put something in, or the game when it reads the game disc, etc. It does it with both drives, the DVDRW is brand new, and the DVDROM is recycled from my last system, and it didn't do this with that one.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
Cdroms can go at anytime the signs are what you discribe if the computer has a hard time reading a disk it takes a while looping is a general problem, its not an irq or this sound problem would happen all the time.