Closed

cannot add domain mx record

Hi,

I have two MX records for my two mail servers, say, mail1.mydomain.com and
mail2.mydomain.com. I need to add an MX record for mydomain.com because
emails sent to mydomain.com would get rejected whereas emails to
mail1.mydomain.com are delivered. My problem is that when I try to add an a
record and leave the "host or domain" blank. I get an error message that the
record already existe. Why? I only have an (A) record not an MX record. How
can I add the domain MX record? Thanks.

Frank
13 answers Last reply
More about cannot domain record

    Frank <frank673@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > I have two MX records for my two mail servers, say,
    > mail1.mydomain.com and mail2.mydomain.com. I need to add an MX record
    > for mydomain.com because emails sent to mydomain.com would get
    > rejected whereas emails to mail1.mydomain.com are delivered. My
    > problem is that when I try to add an a record and leave the "host or
    > domain" blank. I get an error message that the record already existe.
    > Why? I only have an (A) record not an MX record. How can I add the
    > domain MX record? Thanks.

    This happens if you have a Cname (alias) record on the same node. You can
    have multiple MX records and multiple A (host) records on a single node, but
    if you have one Cname record on a node, you can't have either a MX or A
    record on that same node.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

    You might want to check the following rfc...

    ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc2821.txt

    Accourding to the quote below, it appears that only FQDNs are permitted in
    MX records.

    "Only resolvable, fully-qualified, domain names (FQDNs) are permitted
    when domain names are used in SMTP."

    -Frank

    Frankster <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote:
    > You might want to check the following rfc...
    >
    > ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc2821.txt
    >
    > Accourding to the quote below, it appears that only FQDNs are
    > permitted in MX records.
    >
    > "Only resolvable, fully-qualified, domain names (FQDNs) are permitted
    > when domain names are used in SMTP."

    With all due respect, who are you directing this reply to?
    The OP's problem is not a problem with a FQDN, a FQDN only requires a
    trailing "," so even com. is a FQDN. I suspect the problem is a Cname record
    on the same node he is trying to create the MX record on. He should check
    his zone for this record:
    (same as parent folder) alias someFQDN

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ===================================
    ===================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    ===================================
    It will strip signature out and more
    ===================================
    with OEBackup:
    ===================================

    > With all due respect, who are you directing this reply to?

    With all due respect, I was directing this post to the original poster, as I
    posted it in direct reply to his post, not yours.

    I got the impression he was wanting to make a mx record with only domain.com
    and no host name portion, and I didn't know if that could be done. If it
    can, fine. No problem.

    Doesn't seem like pointing out where to find the rfc is a bad idea. I did
    say that he "may" want to check the rfc and that it "appears" etc. I did not
    profess to have a sure answer.

    I read your post and learned something from it. Good. But I didn't think
    that precluded something else from possibly being wrong.

    -Frank

    In news:0cGdnQRIQoaUY7neRVn-jg@giganews.com,
    Frankster <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> made this post, which I then commented
    about below:
    >> With all due respect, who are you directing this reply to?
    >
    > With all due respect, I was directing this post to the original
    > poster, as I posted it in direct reply to his post, not yours.
    >
    > I got the impression he was wanting to make a mx record with only
    > domain.com and no host name portion, and I didn't know if that could
    > be done. If it can, fine. No problem.
    >
    > Doesn't seem like pointing out where to find the rfc is a bad idea. I
    > did say that he "may" want to check the rfc and that it "appears"
    > etc. I did not profess to have a sure answer.
    >
    > I read your post and learned something from it. Good. But I didn't
    > think that precluded something else from possibly being wrong.
    >
    > -Frank

    I can make multiple MX records under "domain.com" as long as they're not
    aliases, as Kevin pointed out.

    As for the RFC, sometimes they are so wordy it is difficult to find the
    specific part that describes what one is looking for. After scanning thru
    it, I did find the part that says no local CNAMEs are allowed for an MX
    record.

    The domain name, as described in this document and in [22], is the
    entire, fully-qualified name (often referred to as an "FQDN"). A
    domain name that is not in FQDN form is no more than a local alias.
    Local aliases MUST NOT appear in any SMTP transaction.

    As far as creating multiple MX records, that is allowed as well, but if
    there is an alias already created, then DNS won't let you create another
    one, whether it's a CNAME or not. So I think in this case we would need to
    look at the DNS RFCs on creating records.

    If the original poster was trying to create an MX entry and leaving the host
    name blank, (which is how it's done), it should have worked, and can make
    multiple MX records that way whether the priority # is the same or not. But
    creating one if there's a cname already created, then it will error out
    saying either it exists or the record type is incompatible.

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    If this post is viewed at a non-Microsoft community website, and you were to
    respond to it through that community's website, I may not see your reply.
    Therefore, please direct all replies ONLY to the Microsoft public newsgroup
    this thread originated in so all can benefit.

    confers no rights.

    =================================
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Thanks for the ideas. I looked at my DNS and didn't find an entry equals the
    line described below. I have some aliases pointing to hostnames. In order to
    see it aliases are the problem, I removed all CNAME entries from DNS and
    tried again. The same thing happened. Here is a snap of how my DNS looks
    now:

    (same as parent folder) start of authority someFQDN1
    (same as parent folder) DNS server someFQDN1
    (same as parent folder) DNS server someFQDN2
    (same as parent folder) Host (IP address of
    someFQDN1)
    (same as parent folder) Mail Exchange someFQDN1
    (same as parent folder) Mail Exchange someFQDN2
    hostname_of_someFQDN1 Host (IP address of someFQDN1)
    hostname_of_someFQDN2 Host (IP address of someFQDN2)

    Regards,

    Frank

    "Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in message
    > Frankster <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote:
    >> You might want to check the following rfc...
    >>
    >> ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc2821.txt
    >>
    >> Accourding to the quote below, it appears that only FQDNs are
    >> permitted in MX records.
    >>
    >> "Only resolvable, fully-qualified, domain names (FQDNs) are permitted
    >> when domain names are used in SMTP."
    >
    > With all due respect, who are you directing this reply to?
    > The OP's problem is not a problem with a FQDN, a FQDN only requires a
    > trailing "," so even com. is a FQDN. I suspect the problem is a Cname
    > record
    > on the same node he is trying to create the MX record on. He should check
    > his zone for this record:
    > (same as parent folder) alias someFQDN
    >

    > --
    > Best regards,
    > Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    > Hope This Helps
    > ===================================
    > ===================================
    > http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    > ===================================
    > It will strip signature out and more
    > ===================================
    > with OEBackup:
    > ===================================

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Thanks for the RFC. I read before RFC they are not that hard to understand.
    I will go through this one as well.

    Frank

    "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
    >> With all due respect, who are you directing this reply to?
    >
    > With all due respect, I was directing this post to the original poster, as
    > I posted it in direct reply to his post, not yours.
    >
    > I got the impression he was wanting to make a mx record with only
    > domain.com and no host name portion, and I didn't know if that could be
    > done. If it can, fine. No problem.
    >
    > Doesn't seem like pointing out where to find the rfc is a bad idea. I did
    > say that he "may" want to check the rfc and that it "appears" etc. I did
    > not profess to have a sure answer.
    >
    > I read your post and learned something from it. Good. But I didn't think
    > that precluded something else from possibly being wrong.
    >
    > -Frank

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Frankster <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote:
    > With all due respect, I was directing this post to the original
    > poster, as I posted it in direct reply to his post, not yours.

    Sorry, I wasn't sure if this was the same Frank posting from a different
    location.

    There are MX records in some TLDs, one for instance is in ai. some would not
    consider ai. as a FQDN but it is, so long as you add the trailing dot. In
    fact the DNS client service won't resolve it the first time unless you add
    the trailing dot because with out the trailing dot the client service will
    not send the query to the DNS server.
    Try this in your browser:
    http://ai/
    Then add the trailing dot
    http://ai./

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ===================================
    ===================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    ===================================
    It will strip signature out and more
    ===================================
    with OEBackup:
    ===================================
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Frank <frank673@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > Thanks for the ideas. I looked at my DNS and didn't find an entry
    > equals the line described below. I have some aliases pointing to
    > hostnames. In order to see it aliases are the problem, I removed all
    > CNAME entries from DNS and tried again. The same thing happened. Here
    > is a snap of how my DNS looks now:
    >
    > (same as parent folder) start of authority someFQDN1
    > (same as parent folder) DNS server someFQDN1
    > (same as parent folder) DNS server someFQDN2
    > (same as parent folder) Host (IP
    > address of someFQDN1)
    > (same as parent folder) Mail Exchange someFQDN1
    > (same as parent folder) Mail Exchange someFQDN2
    > hostname_of_someFQDN1 Host (IP address of
    > someFQDN1) hostname_of_someFQDN2 Host (IP
    > address of someFQDN2)

    Say again what record you are adding?
    Because there are two MX records for this domain name in this zone, now.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ===================================
    ===================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    ===================================
    It will strip signature out and more
    ===================================
    with OEBackup:
    ===================================
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    > Thanks for the RFC. I read before RFC they are not that hard to
    > understand. I will go through this one as well.
    >
    > Frank

    You're welcome.

    -Frank
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    > Frank <frank673@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >> Thanks for the ideas. I looked at my DNS and didn't find an entry
    >> equals the line described below. I have some aliases pointing to
    >> hostnames. In order to see it aliases are the problem, I removed all
    >> CNAME entries from DNS and tried again. The same thing happened. Here
    >> is a snap of how my DNS looks now:
    >>
    >> (same as parent folder) start of authority someFQDN1
    >> (same as parent folder) DNS server someFQDN1
    >> (same as parent folder) DNS server someFQDN2
    >> (same as parent folder) Host (IP
    >> address of someFQDN1)
    >> (same as parent folder) Mail Exchange someFQDN1
    >> (same as parent folder) Mail Exchange someFQDN2
    >> hostname_of_someFQDN1 Host (IP address of
    >> someFQDN1) hostname_of_someFQDN2 Host (IP
    >> address of someFQDN2)
    >
    > Say again what record you are adding?
    > Because there are two MX records for this domain name in this zone, now.
    >

    > --
    > Best regards,
    > Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    > Hope This Helps
    > ===================================
    > ===================================
    > http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    > ===================================
    > It will strip signature out and more
    > ===================================
    > with OEBackup:
    > ===================================

    I am sorry. I got two things confused. I forgot that lets say
    "myserver.mydomain.com" is called a fully qualified host name (Ill call it
    FQHN) and FQDN is say mydomain.com.
    There are two servers FQHN1, FQHN2 under one domain FQDN. The "start of
    authority" added admin.FQDN. So repeating the above DNS it would look like
    this:

    (same as parent folder) start of authority
    [2005040638],someFQHN1,admin.FQDN
    (same as parent folder) DNS server someFQHN1
    (same as parent folder) DNS server someFQHN2
    (same as parent folder) Host (IP address of
    someFQHN1)
    (same as parent folder) Mail Exchange someFQHN1
    (same as parent folder) Mail Exchange someFQHN2
    hostname_part_of_someFQDN1 Host (IP address of someFQHN1)
    hostname_part_of_someFQDN2 Host (IP address of someFQHN2)

    Frank
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:%23RJLSe8tFHA.2072@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    Frank <frank673@hotmail.com> made this post, which I then commented about
    below:
    > I am sorry. I got two things confused. I forgot that lets say
    > "myserver.mydomain.com" is called a fully qualified host name (Ill
    > call it FQHN) and FQDN is say mydomain.com.
    > There are two servers FQHN1, FQHN2 under one domain FQDN. The "start
    > of authority" added admin.FQDN. So repeating the above DNS it would
    > look like this:
    >
    > (same as parent folder) start of authority
    > [2005040638],someFQHN1,admin.FQDN
    > (same as parent folder) DNS server someFQHN1
    > (same as parent folder) DNS server someFQHN2
    > (same as parent folder) Host (IP
    > address of someFQHN1)
    > (same as parent folder) Mail Exchange someFQHN1
    > (same as parent folder) Mail Exchange someFQHN2
    > hostname_part_of_someFQDN1 Host (IP address of
    > someFQHN1) hostname_part_of_someFQDN2 Host (IP
    > address of someFQHN2)
    > Frank

    Actually, the way you've described it, an FQDN and your "FQHN" are the same.
    An FQDN can be any node in the tree, whether it's a domain name's
    relationship in the DNS hierarchal tree, or a hostname's relationship in the
    hierarchal tree.

    Ace

Domain Microsoft Error Message Windows