Need Help with NEC SuperScript 870 Laser Printer

My NEC SuperScript 870 Printer has developed a small problem with an
image dropout along the left side of the printed page. It is slight
but noticeable.

It is not a sign of low toner, as the toner cartridge was recently
replaced. Before I have to spend the money on a new photoconductor
cartridge, I'd like to try cleaning or other diagnosis of the problem.
Are there any experts here?

Other than pulling out the toner cartridge and photoconductor
cartridge, what else can I do to examine and/or clean the unit? Do
those printer cleaning sheets made by Kensington do any good?

Many thanks for any help you're able to offer.

- Earl
3 answers Last reply
More about need superscript laser printer

    In message <1121695211.623130.234930@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
    earlsjones@gmail.com writes
    >My NEC SuperScript 870 Printer has developed a small problem with an
    >image dropout along the left side of the printed page. It is slight
    >but noticeable.
    >
    >It is not a sign of low toner, as the toner cartridge was recently
    >replaced. Before I have to spend the money on a new photoconductor
    >cartridge, I'd like to try cleaning or other diagnosis of the problem.
    >Are there any experts here?
    >
    >Other than pulling out the toner cartridge and photoconductor
    >cartridge, what else can I do to examine and/or clean the unit? Do
    >those printer cleaning sheets made by Kensington do any good?
    >
    >Many thanks for any help you're able to offer.

    Is it a two part printer? Does it have toner and developer?

    Other things that might want cleaning: Does it have a laser lens cover
    that can be removed and cleaned? Are there wires (the phrase corona
    wires sounds right) that can be cleaned, maybe by the machine itself?
    Does it have a menu which covers some cleaning options?

    --
    Timothy

    "me@privacy.net" <me@Privacy.Net> wrote in message
    > In message <1121695211.623130.234930@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
    > earlsjones@gmail.com writes
    > >My NEC SuperScript 870 Printer has developed a small problem with an
    > >image dropout along the left side of the printed page. It is slight
    > >but noticeable.
    > >
    > >It is not a sign of low toner, as the toner cartridge was recently
    > >replaced. Before I have to spend the money on a new photoconductor
    > >cartridge, I'd like to try cleaning or other diagnosis of the problem.
    > >Are there any experts here?
    > >
    > >Other than pulling out the toner cartridge and photoconductor
    > >cartridge, what else can I do to examine and/or clean the unit? Do
    > >those printer cleaning sheets made by Kensington do any good?
    > >
    > >Many thanks for any help you're able to offer.
    > >
    > Is it a two part printer? Does it have toner and developer?
    >
    > Other things that might want cleaning: Does it have a laser lens cover
    > that can be removed and cleaned? Are there wires (the phrase corona
    > wires sounds right) that can be cleaned, maybe by the machine itself?
    > Does it have a menu which covers some cleaning options?
    >
    > --
    > Timothy

    Timothy -

    The two replaceable parts are the toner cartridge and the photoconductor
    cartridge (the "drum"). I had a TI Microlaser many years ago that had a
    replaceable developer cartridge also, but this printer is not like that.

    What I would like is some specific advice on cleaning, and what to look for.

    Thanks.

    I apologize if these seem obvious.

    Have you made sure the toner is distributed properly within the
    cartridge by rocking it back and forth?

    If you se an exposed corona wires, or if the cartridge has internal ones
    which are accessible via a trap door and there is a tool provided, use
    it to make sure these are not coated in toner.

    If you see a window that the laser "shoots" through within the printer,
    make sure it is clean.

    Art

    earlsjones@gmail.com wrote:

    > My NEC SuperScript 870 Printer has developed a small problem with an
    > image dropout along the left side of the printed page. It is slight
    > but noticeable.
    >
    > It is not a sign of low toner, as the toner cartridge was recently
    > replaced. Before I have to spend the money on a new photoconductor
    > cartridge, I'd like to try cleaning or other diagnosis of the problem.
    > Are there any experts here?
    >
    > Other than pulling out the toner cartridge and photoconductor
    > cartridge, what else can I do to examine and/or clean the unit? Do
    > those printer cleaning sheets made by Kensington do any good?
    >
    > Many thanks for any help you're able to offer.
    >
    > - Earl

Printers Laser Printer NEC Peripherals