How to change font colour on destop?

Polarman

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2004

Hi, I'd like to change the font colour for the icons on my desktop because
they are white on a white background. When I go into desktop display
properties/appearance/advanced appearance and select "icon" as the item, I
can change the font and the size but the colour box is greyed out??? Any
suggestions?

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 14:45:02 -0700, Polarman wrote:

> Hi, I'd like to change the font colour for the icons on my desktop because
> they are white on a white background. When I go into desktop display
> properties/appearance/advanced appearance and select "icon" as the item, I
> can change the font and the size but the colour box is greyed out??? Any
> suggestions?

If you want the transparent icon labels (no holes in the wallpaper), you
get white fonts with shadows. Doesn't work with every wallpaper but I've
used graphics programs to darken the edges so that the fonts show up.

If you turn off drop shadows and choose a light background color, you can
get XP to show black fonts.

To turn off drop shadows: Right click My Computer and select Properties to
bring up the System Properties screen. Go to the Advanced page and click on
Settings in the Performance section. On the next screen that appears,
select Custom (if it isn't already) and remove the check next to "Use drop
shadows for icons on the desktop."

Light background color: Right click the Desktop and select Properties.
Click Appearance in the screen that appears. Then click Advanced. In the
box showing a few windows, click just outside of the windows but still
within the box. This will place "Desktop" in the Item: box. Alternatively,
you can use the Item: drop down list and select Desktop. The Color 1 box
will become active. Click on it and select a light color from the next
screen. OK your way back to the desktop. (If a dark color is selected for
the desktop, the fonts will be white with no drop shadow.)

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User