DNS setting have 2 name servers......

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
September 13, 2005 1:44:03 AM

When I go into the properties of my domain (W2K, 1 server, exchange 2000) I
can see 2 name servers.

One name server is of the server that I am using now - Server2.
The 2nd name server is of an old server that is no longer in production -
and in fact - is in the garbage.

Do I simply remove the the old name server? I have noticed some slow login
times and I think this might be the problem.......

Thanks.

More about : dns setting servers

Anonymous
September 13, 2005 10:36:50 AM

_____________STANGE_____________________
<STANGE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> When I go into the properties of my domain (W2K, 1 server, exchange
> 2000) I can see 2 name servers.
>
> One name server is of the server that I am using now - Server2.
> The 2nd name server is of an old server that is no longer in
> production - and in fact - is in the garbage.
>
> Do I simply remove the the old name server? I have noticed some slow
> login times and I think this might be the problem.......

I need some clarification, are you referring to having an NS record, still
in the zone?
Yes, delete the NS record if the DNS server no longer ewxists.

Or if an old DC still has records registered in DNS, delete those. Which
possibly means you didn't demote the DC out of the domain, so you may need
to use ntdsutil.exe to do a metadata cleanup.

Slow logons typically mean you have an external DNS listed in TCP/IP
properties, if you have any other DNS, besides the local AD DNS in TCP/IP
Properties, in any position, remove those.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

When I open up DNS - it shows only my existing server - "server2". But when
I look at the properties of my Forward Zone - under the Name Server tab - I
show my current server and a retired server.
Also it's listed in the Forward and Reverse zone as a Name Server.

SO - I think it'd be OK to removed it from both locations right?

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" wrote:

> _____________STANGE_____________________
> <STANGE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > When I go into the properties of my domain (W2K, 1 server, exchange
> > 2000) I can see 2 name servers.
> >
> > One name server is of the server that I am using now - Server2.
> > The 2nd name server is of an old server that is no longer in
> > production - and in fact - is in the garbage.
> >
> > Do I simply remove the the old name server? I have noticed some slow
> > login times and I think this might be the problem.......
>
> I need some clarification, are you referring to having an NS record, still
> in the zone?
> Yes, delete the NS record if the DNS server no longer ewxists.
>
> Or if an old DC still has records registered in DNS, delete those. Which
> possibly means you didn't demote the DC out of the domain, so you may need
> to use ntdsutil.exe to do a metadata cleanup.
>
> Slow logons typically mean you have an external DNS listed in TCP/IP
> properties, if you have any other DNS, besides the local AD DNS in TCP/IP
> Properties, in any position, remove those.
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> ===================================
> ===================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> ===================================
> It will strip signature out and more
> ===================================
> with OEBackup:
> ===================================

September 13, 2005 1:45:06 PM

_____________STANGE_____________________
<STANGE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> When I open up DNS - it shows only my existing server - "server2".
> But when I look at the properties of my Forward Zone - under the Name
> Server tab - I show my current server and a retired server.
> Also it's listed in the Forward and Reverse zone as a Name Server.
>
> SO - I think it'd be OK to removed it from both locations right?

Yes, I stated it is OK to delete NS records for DNS servers that no longer
exist, or if I might add, if the DNS server no longer has the zone.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 1:10:08 AM

In news:5180AA52-D10C-49DB-A456-41F4AA803456@microsoft.com,
_____________STANGE_____________________ <STANGE@discussions.microsoft.com>
made this post, which I then commented about below:
> When I open up DNS - it shows only my existing server - "server2".
> But when I look at the properties of my Forward Zone - under the Name
> Server tab - I show my current server and a retired server.
> Also it's listed in the Forward and Reverse zone as a Name Server.
>
> SO - I think it'd be OK to removed it from both locations right?

As Kevin said, yes remove it.

More importantly, how was the other server 'removed' from the domain? Was it
properly demoted using dcpromo or was it just simply 'unplugged' and
trashed?

--
Regards,
Ace

If this post is viewed at a non-Microsoft community website, and you were to
respond to it through that community's website, I may not see your reply.
Therefore, please direct all replies ONLY to the Microsoft public newsgroup
this thread originated in so all can benefit.

confers no rights.

!