Apheration

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
So I was looking at the AMD X2 (or whatever it is) 4200+. The price was around $190 I think. It said 2.2ghz. I then looked at it's Intel counterparts. I found the Pentium D 945 Presler, for around the same price, but 3.4 ghz. So I was like "hey this must be better cuz it is like 1.2 ghz faster, right?" So I bought it. Then....

I was bored and decided to look up benchmarks and the 4200+ p0wns the 945. for gaming at least. So my question is.....here it is....it's coming, get ready.....

Why is the 4200+ out performing the 945 but has a slower clockspeed?

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
So I was looking at the AMD X2 (or whatever it is) 4200+. The price was around $190 I think. It said 2.2ghz. I then looked at it's Intel counterparts. I found the Pentium D 945 Presler, for around the same price, but 3.4 ghz. So I was like "hey this must be better cuz it is like 1.2 ghz faster, right?" So I bought it. Then....

I was bored and decided to look up benchmarks and the 4200+ p0wns the 945. for gaming at least. So my question is.....here it is....it's coming, get ready.....

Because, it's the forum god's way of getting back at you for not checking benchmarks before you bought....Sort of like getting a spankin'. :?

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Processor clock speed means nothing when comparing diffrent architectures.

For sure. Imagine shoveling snow with a teaspoon at 5 spoonfulls per second, then switching to a big snow shovel that you could "only" operate at 0.5 Hz...

mrmez

Splendid
Repeat after me...

"MORE INSTRUCTIONS PER CLOCK CYCLE"

Whats that mean?

Performing more in less time.

http://images.tomshardware.com/2006/08/21/060821_dual-core_chart.jpg

Clock speed ONLY means something when comparing the SAME brand and SAME series of chips.

Sucks ballsing things up tho :evil:
Upgrade next year LOL

EDIT:
My truck can drive @ 44km/hr (4.4Ghz) and can carry one ton (instructions/cycle)
My truck and drive @ 23km/hr (2.2Ghz) and can carry three tons

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006

Because it does; nobody is fooling you.
a 1.8 GHz Athlon64 is equal to a 2.8 GHz Pentium 4
a 2.0 GHz Athlon64 is better than a 3.0 GHz Pentium 4
a 2.2 GHz Athlon64 is better than a 3.2 GHz Pentium 4

...and so on. Some Core2 Duo CPUs are even 'slower' than A64s but perform better. It is no more a GHz world, it means nothing to performance.
And not even the cache is comparable because 512K of AMD's performs better than 1M of Intel's.

Yessiree, you have just been had by the great Intel megahertz scam.
Intel spent the last 10 years improving the silicon process and just kept upping the core speed of their processors and charging a premium for every 50 megahertz they could squeeze out of basically the same old processor. Nothing wrong with that, it made them billions of dollars.

AMD put their efforts into actually improving the way the CPU works and came up with a design that does more work per clock cycle.

Intel has decided to finally put resources into a new core design (Core Duo or Conroe) that has surpassed AMD's design by a fair amount.

The "fastest CPU is the one with the highest Megahertz" fiasco has been soundly outdated for at least 3 years. A tough lesson, but the best advice is to do more research before you buy!

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006

that's not your fault. You're just a victim of intel's marketing strategy

will14

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
Aw another victim of the Hertz race!
*hug*
Yeah I'd say oc yours a little it should still have ddr2 pci x so you'll be ok for a year or 2.
Then get a really nice conroe or more likely a quad-core K8L from amd with DDR3 and DX 10 video card at that point.

grizzman

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
It always depend on what you intend to accomplish with your computer and the interactive CPU chart is an excellent place to research your intensions. I had the same choice several months back before the AMD price cuts. I picked the D940 added a 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 card and I can play any game better then ever coming from an ATI9600 128MB DDR. I use my machine 50% gaming and 50% applications. The THG CPU chart shows the X2 4200 and the D940 as a dead tie. So I picked theD940 and used the savings to buy a better video card. I also do very large graphic files with Photoshop with several applied filters. The THG CPU chart shows the D940 beats the pants off the X2 4200. The 945 is not a bad processor and I would have been happy with either AMD or Intel. Research, research, research before you buy and know your goals before you pick.

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Aw another victim of the Hertz race!
*hug*
Yeah I'd say oc yours a little it should still have ddr2 pci x so you'll be ok for a year or 2.
Then get a really nice conroe or more likely a quad-core K8L from amd with DDR3 and DX 10 video card at that point.
that's a good point. depending on the motherboard he can (or not) upgrade to core 2. Either way, he'll have ddr2 memory already.

Fursecul

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
Becose AMD does not run in the Ghz market and Intel does if you see for ex a AMD 4200+ that means that this CPU will kill any Intel that is below 4200 Mhz any time and the only way to beat that AMD is to OC that Intel to at least 4Ghz and i don't think that is possible so you have made a big mistake and you should have asked for help before buying the CPU but it's not all in the CPU

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Becose AMD does not run in the Ghz market and Intel does if you see for ex a AMD 4200+ that means that this CPU will kill any Intel that is below 4200 Mhz any time and the only way to beat that AMD is to OC that Intel to at least 4Ghz and i don't think that is possible so you have made a big mistake and you should have asked for help before buying the CPU but it's not all in the CPU

Conroe kinda blew the sh!t out of your theory, didn't it?

AMD 4400+: dual core x 2.2GHz

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
That's entirely possible, if he's got a good mobo, RAM and HS/F.

Apheration

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
Wow thanx for the replies. I was looking to build a PC for under $1000 and the final cost came out to $900. I am planning on playing video games mostly, like BF2. This is (most) of what I bought:

APEVIA (ASPIRE) X-Navigator ATXA9N-SS/500
Gigabyte GA-8N-SLI
Pentium D 945 Presler
Arctice Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
G.SKILL 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM
SAMSUNG 160GB
eVGA Geforce 7900GT

I'm probably gonna buy another gig of ram

weedeater64

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[/quote]
Repeat after me...

Whats that mean?

Clock speed ONLY means something when comparing the SAME brand and SAME series of chips.

Upgrade next year LOL

EDIT:
My truck can drive @ 44km/hr (4.4Ghz) and can carry one ton (instructions/cycle)
So is this the heart of it , Instructions per cycle?
I'm looking at these cpu's on newegg, in seperate windows, and I don't see this specification. Where is it? What about these benchmarks, you'all speak of. Is there a good site that post these things.
Please help the technally challenged.

Repeat after me...

Whats that mean?

Upgrade next year LOL

EDIT:
So is this the heart of it , Instructions per cycle?
I'm looking at these cpu's on newegg, in seperate windows, and I don't see this specification. Where is it? What about these benchmarks, you'all speak of. Is there a good site that post these things.
Please help the technally challenged.

Well, I can see how you made the mistake and are now unhappy with your purchase. You are already on the best site on the net to find the very information you desire, you just need look around a little :)

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html

It will show you everything you need to know to make comparisons with.

Talon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
It does look like you might be screwed. I didn't see anything about C2D compatibility on Gigabyte's website for any of the GA-8N boards. That doesn't mean there might not be hope of a bios or maybe the site isn't updated with latest info? One can hope at the least. Otherwise I'd ebay that CPU/board and get C2D compatible ones. My 2cents anyway.

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
experts.....i can help my self ..man...there are only experts arround here..and i can`t help asking myself ...how in the name of god is this earth holding all of us...