UNC access failure: Logon Failure: The target account name..

Hi,

We can access the file server in our office through its ip address, but
we cannot access it through UNC like \\oakfileserver.

The error message says:

[snip]
Logon Failure: The target account name is incorrect

The system log shows:

<sys_log>
Event Type: Warning
Event Source: DnsApi
Event Category: None
Event ID: 11166
Date: 9/13/2005
Time: 11:18:03 AM
User: N/A
Computer: OAKFILESERVER
The system failed to register host (A) resource records (RRs) for
network adapter with settings:

Adapter Name : {22A28368-6B95-47F7-86C6-70AD401F9E5D}
Host Name : oakfileserver
Primary Domain Suffix : some.domain.name.com
DNS server list :
1.2.3.4, 1.2.3.5
Sent update to server : 1.2.3.6
IP Address(es) :
2.3.4.5

The reason the system could not register these RRs was because of a
security related problem. The cause of this could be (a) your computer
does not have permissions to register and update the specific DNS
domain name set for this adapter, or (b) there might have been a
problem negotiating valid credentials with the DNS server during the
processing of the update request.

You can manually retry DNS registration of the network adapter and its
settings by typing "ipconfig /registerdns" at the command prompt. If
problems still persist, contact your DNS server or network systems
administrator. For specific error code, see the record data displayed
below.

Data: 0000: 38 23 00 00 8#..
</sys_log>

We have tried "ipconfig /registerdns", but it did not help.

Would any guru please kindly advise us? Thanks a lot!

antonyliu2002@yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We can access the file server in our office through its ip address,
> but we cannot access it through UNC like \\oakfileserver.
>
> The error message says:
>
> [snip]
> Logon Failure: The target account name is incorrect
>
> The system log shows:
>
> <sys_log>
> Event Type: Warning
> Event Source: DnsApi
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 11166
> Date: 9/13/2005
> Time: 11:18:03 AM
> User: N/A
> Computer: OAKFILESERVER
> The system failed to register host (A) resource records (RRs) for
> network adapter with settings:
>
> Adapter Name : {22A28368-6B95-47F7-86C6-70AD401F9E5D}
> Host Name : oakfileserver
> Primary Domain Suffix : some.domain.name.com
> DNS server list :
> 1.2.3.4, 1.2.3.5
> Sent update to server : 1.2.3.6
> IP Address(es) :
> 2.3.4.5

I first need to understand the relationship of all these DNS servers. Is
Active Directory involved?
what are the two DNS servers 1.2.3.4 and 1.2.3.5 and what is the DNS server
1.2.3.6?

This error message would lead me to believe the 1.2.3.6 is the Primary
nameserver for some.domain.name.com, because that is where the update is
sent, and that DNS server does not or cannot accept dynamic updates from
this machine.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

vsinghal3

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
I also had the same problem.Whenever I tried to access one particular server using UNC path \\<server name> I used to get the same error message i.e Logon Failue:... I have gone through many articles published on internet but nothing worked for me.Finally I found that replication was getting failed on local site Domain Controller since the problem occured